All member reviews for Among the Hidden: Shadow Children, Book 1

Kid, 11 years old August 4, 2009

Aweosme Book!

Amazing! I love the book even though I'm a third child! ;) It's a great story and I think that the courage that some of the characters have is a great thing to read about! To any good readers that want something fun and intresting to read, READ THIS!
Teen, 13 years old Written byAmoungTheHidden September 15, 2009

Perfect! Absolutley and Positivly Perfect!

This is the best book I have EVER read!
Kid, 10 years old October 22, 2009

i love it

i love it its a great book i just start reading this book i thik of yhis book is it intresting and i give it a 5/5
Teen, 14 years old Written byBook Review U. April 9, 2008

Get into Hiding!

Among the Hidden By Margaret Haddix Someone knocked on the door. Luke’s mother immediately hid his plate through his chair in the corner and hid any evidence that Luke existed. Luke ran upstairs to his room in his attic, as the family had a conversation with the government about cutting down their forest. Luke was against the law; he was the third child, otherwise known as a shadow child. The population police had made a law that there could be no more than two children per family. Luke used to be safe in the forest, with no one around. But now the government is taking away the trees and replacing the land his family once owned with rows of houses. Now Luke cannot go outside, and maybe not for the rest of his life. Luke has just settled down, after counting more then twice to make sure every one has left. Then he sees a face in the window, in a house where two children already live. Among the hidden is a great suspenseful book. It is an unpredictable book, full of an exciting plot. At the end, there is a small bit of violence that affects the book tremendously, so if you do not like sudden changes in the plot, or big suspense, this is not the book for you. Each chapter is filled with an exciting addition to the amazing plot.

Page Turning

This is a page turning book.. I read it in 5 days.. If you like these books keep reading
Teen, 15 years old Written byski123 April 9, 2008

Teen, 14 years old Written bychase1234567890 September 28, 2011

chase

i think this smells trashy! this is soo stupid book! kids dont read just have fun life is to short
Teen, 17 years old Written byhellokitty21 May 4, 2010

tween and teens

The story was all about standing up for wat u believe in and also all things are not goin to trun out ass u planed.
Kid, 11 years old April 24, 2010

Great Book!!

This is an amazing book! Margaret Peterson Haddix is one of my favorite writers. Her books are great! Among the Hidden is a great book! It has a great story!
Kid, 11 years old April 19, 2010

Great book

love it!
Teen, 13 years old Written byShiningMoon December 12, 2008

A Strangely Realistic Read

It's sci-fi, but realistic. It's horrifying yet believable. It's a society where everything is so right...so wrong. It's a lake, pristine on the surface, yet hopelessy messed up beneath the surface. It's a rare series where you probably should read all 7 (or 8?) books.
Teen, 13 years old Written byCamala April 9, 2008

Really cool, a bit sad.

I admit the ending was kinda sad. But it had to happen to produce the sequels, which are all awesome. This is my favorite book right now, and I read it over a year ago.
Teen, 13 years old Written byv-ball_luver April 9, 2008

Excellent Book

This book is an excellent start to a great series. The book always has a feeling of suspence, and plenty of twists and turns. This book, although the situation at hand is pretty serious, is kid-friendly. Great book, great series.

Great

Great book. All I can say.

READ ALL MAGARET PETERSON HADDIX BOOKS!!!!

Teen, 15 years old Written byNico coolman April 5, 2015

GREAT BOOK!!!

Among the Hidden is the first book of the Shadow Children Series. This is one of my favorite series. This is a good introduction to the series. It's really good, but they get better, farther in the series. It also gets more inappropriate throughout. This one had some violence. Many children are killed (by the government) in a protest against the government. They were all shot down. This follows the series the entire time. Luke is cut and his blood falls on the floor. As for sexuality, there isn't much. One reference to 'bras' and 'talking dirty', but nothing serious. No language, as far as I remember. This book is GREAT!!! I hope they add the other books to common sense media, because I REALLY want to write reviews on all of those. I hope this review was helpful to you. I said pause because for sensitive kids this might be overwhelming.
Teen, 13 years old Written byMoises123 November 30, 2014

Intresting

It is a really good book!It leaves a lot of cliff hangars.It may be a little intense for younger readers.There are good role models and could teach kids to enjoy what they have. It is sort of realistic.The central conflict is the third children have to stay hidden from the population police or be killed. It shows what somebody will do to stay alive and save others.
Kid, 12 years old August 14, 2014

Still Love It!

I remember being a small, little nine-year-old in fourth grade, struggling to find a good book to read. I searched through my classroom library trying to find something worth reading. And this was the book I chose. Little did I know that I would be hooked on the series and would begin to find more interest in dystopian stories. The book was actually quite simple to read. I don't know if it would be different for a student who didn't have an advanced reading level. I called it a snack book because it only took me a night to complete. Now, a seventh grader, I still go back to read it, despite its low reading level . This is a very good beginner dystopian book. Some of the scenes did frighten me a little, as they were very creepy. Luke lives in a futuristic America, where third children are prohibited. A third child himself (shadow child), Luke is forced to hide in the shadows. If someone found it he was alive, he could be slaughtered. One day, Luke discovers a bold Jen, a girl that was home during the day, even after her family had left. There is violence in this book. The worst scene was probably the rally (don't mean to spoil), but the third children were gunned down. People had to wash away their blood. Jen is a great role model. She is bold, not afraid to stick up for what she believes in, even if she has to die for it. Jen is confident and only wants to be free. It amazes me how I still enjoy this book, years afterwards. This is a must-read for all fourth graders!
Teen, 17 years old Written byDanceMomsAddict June 9, 2014

Made me love reading!

I loved this series when I was younger and it made me want to start reading much more series.
Kid, 9 years old February 11, 2014

Awesome Book!!!!!!!

This book is awesome! The only reason I gave it 4 stars is because the books after it are better. READ THIS!!