All member reviews for Among the Hidden: Shadow Children, Book 1

Teen, 13 years old Written byDsim64 November 25, 2013

A thought-provoking, political, gripping novel.

The only thing of concern is the death of Jen, who seems heroic until then. That was a very mature concept for even sixth grade.
Teen, 14 years old Written byDomi_mk August 22, 2013

Greatest book

I really loved this book. The story was great especially the courage of the characters. I will never regret reading this book even tho almost all the time I was stressed, actually I think that that's what made it so good. I dare you not to read this book :)
Kid, 11 years old July 17, 2013

Great book!

This is an awesome book! It is tense throughput, since Luke is always in danger, and there is an upsetting scene in which Luke finds out a main character has been killed(the death is not shown). I totally recommend this!
Kid, 10 years old June 4, 2013

Sadness for good

This is a great book but it is very sad. There is a great role model "Jen" but some very brief talk about violence.
Kid, 9 years old March 18, 2013

sad and hartwarming

The story is okay but a murder of a child and guns are somthing that will be in the book and my school made me read it! It was a very long book. Set in a unknown time period, with farmers and barons in the USA . The law is that you can only have two children but some families have 3rd children. One 3rd boy meets a 3rd girl and they become friends Very good book. But like I said before very long! I will never tell the ending of the story!
Kid, 10 years old March 10, 2013

Among the Hidden By Margaret Peterson Haddix

Among the Hidden By Margaret Peterson Haddix Is About A Kid Named Luke.Luke Is a ''Shadow Child'',Witch Means A Third Child.And If That Dosen' t Make Sense,Then That Means The Government Made A Law That You can Only Have 3 Kids,And Luke Has 2 Other Brothers,Mark And Matthew. So Has To Hide From The Population Police.So Far,Among the Hidden Is A Great Book. I'm on Chapter 6,And We Are Reading It In LIT Circles.I've Read Found By Margaret Petersen Haddix Too,And That Was A Great Book.So, Among the Hidden Is A Great Book!
Kid, 10 years old February 13, 2013

my thought

great book i think
Kid, 8 years old May 28, 2012

Good book

I read the Hunger Games series and was looking for more of the same genre. This was different, more like Anne Frank's story than The Hunger Games. It was an exciting read. I plan to read others in the series.
Teen, 13 years old Written bybeautifuL98 February 2, 2012

My favorite book ever!

So i just finished reading this book and I gotta say that this is the best book i have ever read in my whole life!! First i was introduced to reading this in my reading class, not too long ago, but i recently got my schedule changed, but sadly I did not get to finish it. Although I found it at our library and just finished it. It is a really interesting book and somehow giving out positive messages. There is a really tragic part towards the end but the very ending is really good!!! I can not wait to read the next series :)
Kid, 12 years old January 24, 2012

Loved It!!!!

i think this book is a really good book for kids
Teen, 15 years old Written byILOVE T-SWIFT13 January 14, 2012

Great book

Loved it. slow beginning but once your attaches u don't want it to end. The end is kinda sad. i still really liked it!
Teen, 14 years old Written byKirstayjarjar January 8, 2012

Great book, hope you enjoy!

I honestly i enjoyed this book, the beginning is pretty slow paced and feels like you have been reading the first 4 chapters for hours... once you get to like page 50 the pace starts to get really fast and becomes easier to read and follow its very intense and fast to read its an enjoyable book, cant wait to read the others!
Teen, 13 years old Written byrobbie delgado December 16, 2011

awesome

i interisting and mostly about mystery and stuff its so fun and it makes want to keep on reading
Kid, 12 years old August 15, 2011

I'm 12 and I read this book!!

Look I don't care what other parents say right on the back of the book it says for ages 9+. So what if they say "talk dirty"? There are 1st graders in my school who know more about sexual content than I do!! And the mopping up of blood isn't bad compared to the news. Have you seen FOX?? All the child abuse and this and that with the violence?? You don't have to report every little thing you see!! "Talk dirty." Give me a break!! And whats wrong with the mopping up of blood. They do that in hospitals too!! It's not right to shelter your kids!!! This book is fine as long as you're mature enough to handle it, which some people on this site obviously AREN'T!!
Teen, 14 years old Written byThe Person Guy July 12, 2011

Well... [SPOILER]

I read this book by a friend's suggestion. While it was an OK plot with OK characters, it didn't really captivate me. It's about a boy who lives in a world where families can only have two kids- and he's the third. He must stay hidden at all times, and one day he meets a girl who is also a third child. She wants him to go to D.C. with a group of other illegal kids. He doesn't go, and the kids get shot. It ends with him being smuggled away to start a new life. That's it. It had something about it that I found distasteful. It just didn't grab my attention, or make me want to read the sequels. Note that I'm not trying to say it's bad, I'm just stating what I thought about it.
Kid, 11 years old May 30, 2011

Wonderful!

Great book! I was drawn into it from the beginning. It was a little sad when Luke's friend, Jen died.
Kid, 9 years old May 17, 2011

9 yr olds r the best age

i loved this book. i felt bad whenn jen died though
Teen, 14 years old Written byjustinbieberfan... May 15, 2011

very good for kids 9+

very good book. i just finished reading it for a book project at my school. I didn't think that i would like it but now it on my top 10. Very good message. showing kids to fight for what they believe in. The violence was not bad at all but very sad. i encourage yall to check it out!! :)
Kid, 11 years old April 26, 2011

you will love it age 10-45

i love this book its mysterious-loving-intence all at the same time
Teen, 16 years old Written bytalajo April 10, 2011

rated E for everyone

this book is amazinq...........!