All member reviews for An Abundance of Katherines

Teen, 13 years old Written by1angelette April 7, 2009

Intellectual Tour-de-force for Mature Teens

Colin -- oh, narcissistic, relatable, somehow-dated-nineteen-girls-to-my-mother's-chagrin Colin. He manages to churn out an equation which actually works (no lie, I tried it twice), has an awesome Arab friend (how is that bad for the message? discrimination, CSM), and knows a lot of the same obscure, awesome stuff I do, only more of it. For a teenager who can take the profanity (for there's lots) and raciness (there's even more of that) without giggling and appreciate the crowning, glorious apothesis of Katherine the Great midway through the book (not to mention anagrams), you'll pick this up and love it to death in one delicious afternoon like I did.
Teen, 15 years old Written byhollylujah December 27, 2010

Totally Awesome.

I love John Green and everything he writes is pure genious. That doesn't differ in "An Abundance of Katherines." It not only has a variety of languages and math, due to the fact the the main characters are pretty intellegent, but also features wit and humor in this amazing story.
Kid, 9 years old June 7, 2009

Okay...

An Abundance of Katherines had a good story line I guess, but was pretty boring. I couldn't really stay with it at some parts.
Teen, 15 years old Written byxaltrockgirlx January 19, 2012

Quite Adorkable

This novel doesn't get as much love as Green's other books, but I thought it was quite hilarious. I loved the footnotes, which were both entertaining and educational. I really must try out the Theorem to see if it truly works. There are a few punches thrown around, but it's really not that bad. Sex isn't mentioned as much as his other books, but in one scene, it's fairly clear what's going on between two secondary characters. Other than that, it's mostly mild talk and some making out, no big deal. The language... well, as I have mentioned for his other books, his characters tend to curse a lot. In this book, at least, there is only one F-bomb because the two main characters use the word "fug" instead. The companies mentioned are mostly fast food restaurants, like the CSM review said. There is beer drinking, but the CSM reviewer forgot to mention at one point, two of the teen characters drink moonshine, which is illegal for anyone, even if it is easy to get. Still, this novel is not as graphic as many teen novels are these days, and these negative elements are thrown in with a purpose, to develop plot. Overall, this was a really smart and funny story that anyone who thinks of themselves as a nerd/dork/geek should definitely read.
Teen, 13 years old Written bybookworm96 June 28, 2009

Funny & Engaging

"An Abundance of Katherines" is a funny, funny book. I loved the characters; they were relatable, interesting, and three-dimensional. The content of the book stays well within what any normal teen has been exposed to. The occasional sexual joke or cuss is uttered, but for the most part, there's not much questionable in here.
Teen, 13 years old Written bycolorsgirl February 16, 2012

Funny, nerdy, math-geek style love story

This is a funny book. It's also very nerdy. If you aren't a nerd or don't enjoy nerdy things, there is a chance you won't like this book...that being said, those who enjoy a good math joke will find it fantastic. I didn't understand the math jokes at first, but after reading the appendix several times, I now have a vague idea of how functions work. There is no huge, underlying moral in this book (unlike TFiOS) but it's cute, and it teaches us that love is unpredictable. There is a good bit of swearing (as in all of John Green's books) and two characters (not the main ones) are caught having sex though it's mostly implied and not described at all. As with TFiOS, nerdy teens will enjoy this book. I wouldn't recommend it for anyone under 14 as they probably won't appreciate the humor and the swearing/sex is a little too much but I'm 13 and I appreciated it, so know yourself/your kid. DFTBA :P
Teen, 16 years old Written bynerdglasses July 11, 2010

Hilariously nerdy and awesome.

Oh, how I love John Green's books. This, I would say, is more of a 'light' book than Looking for Alaska and Paper Towns- not too much meaningful and thought-provoking insights, although there are admittedly some. But mostly, it's just really gut-bustingly witty and entertaining. There is math involved, but it's not exactly necessary to 'get it' in order to 'get' the book. And yes, there is a fair amount of swearing, but kids 12 and up hear plenty of it, believe me. Haha. Anyway, this is a fantastic book, I finished it in one day. Read it!
Teen, 15 years old Written bykay_rayb April 9, 2008

Awesome read

An Abundance of Katherines is an amazing book. There isn't really alot of sexual reference as everone else seems to think. They don't really swear much because they say "fug" instead of.. well.. you know. It's a great book for anyone at least 13 or older. Under 13 might not understand some parts
Teen, 13 years old Written byradon canyon November 3, 2013

french the llama

This is a great book! It was the first John Green book I'd heard of but the last one I read. READ IT
Teen, 13 years old Written bythatfandomchick March 26, 2014

PARENTS********

PARENTS WHO ARE READING THIS: Yes, there is mild sexual language, but the book is fine for your kid to read! If you really don't trust your 13+ year old to read a book with a tiny little bit of sex in it, you need to re-evaluate your parenting strategies. It's F-I-N-E.
Kid, 11 years old May 20, 2013

Innapropriate, But Good Morale

This book had a good morale, behind the outrageous cussing and inappropriate things. It was disappointing when there was so much cussing and making out and beer drinking and cheating, but I think that the morale was actually very good. They also use some bad words in other languages. I would recommend this to kids thirteen and above.
Teen, 15 years old Written byohmyitskai August 27, 2010

Love it, Read it!

If you have any interest at all in math, you will LOVE this book. Even if you hate math (like me), I think you'll love it anyway! Basically it's about a grown up child prodigy who always seems to date girls by the name of "Katherine". He tries to come up with a way to predict the pattern of a relationship. It's so interesting, and since it's a John Green book, definitely has its fair share of quirk :).
Teen, 13 years old Written bykait774 December 14, 2014

It's a definite yes

An Abundance of Katherines is a book that I think all teens should at least try to read. I have heard people say it's boring, which the plot is somewhat slow, so I can understand. Although, I believe this book really captures Colin's early life crisis, something that sounds kind of ridiculous, but can really happen to anyone. This book helps put things in perspective, for me at least. Colin is probably worse off than most of us, being the narscistic, bragging person he is. But he is lovable and shows you to accept your weaknesses and embrace them. Also, the unimaginable wittiness that mixes with the footnotes and random facts is just an amazing combination that makes me read this book over and over again. Some parents may be concerned about the sexual aspects of this book, but I do not believe that they out weigh the lessons this book teaches you. John Green is an amazing writer who I think educates teens and young adults that being nerdy and too smart for your own good is not necessarily a bad thing, and that life is whimsical and sometimes you have to take chances. Overall, I believe this is wonderful book for teens who are feeling kind of stuck and need a laugh.
Teen, 16 years old Written bythelovelykat September 6, 2014

Really easy read

This novel begins with a sullen and upset Colin Singleton who just broke up with his last girlfriend (the 19th girl he's dated named Katherine). To be totally honest, his personality was a bit annoying, but that may have been one of the effects of his breakup. Anyway, he decides to go on a road trip to get over his ex and ends up in some town in the middle of nowhere. There he meets a girl (of course) and tries to perfect his super complicated Theorem of Underlying Katherine Predictability, which is extremely boring and unexciting to read about. Even though the novel isn't super interesting all the time, it does have its good chapters and the other main character (Lindsey) proves to be spunky and relatable. Yeah, there is an adequate amount of swearing (nothing less than the average teenager's vocabulary) and one violent-filled chapter, but there is little talk about sex and a lot of educational fun facts that aren't completely terrible to read. It was a quick and easy read with a unique plot, quirky characters, and a sweet ending.
Teen, 15 years old Written byDogMediaLover June 28, 2014

An Abundance Of Katherines

It is my least favorite John Green book, but, since this is John Green we're talking about, still first-class literature. The writing is great, the story line is compelling, and though there's no Margo, The Colonel, or Augustus, we do get an all-star cast. Now for the age review: POSITIVE MESSAGES: Colin goes from looking at love as a battle he will never win, to a mathematical equation, to at last a beauty in human nature. Also great messages about friendship. POSITIVE ROLE MODELS: Though some of the kids are jerks, Colin stays true to his friends, and does not engage in dumb teenager activities. VIOLENCE: 1/5 A fist fight. SEX: 3/5 A reference to orgasms, oral sex, and a slightly graphic sex scene in a graveyard. LANGUAGE: 4/5 "Fug" is used almost every other word, so it has to add up to a few f-bombs. Pretty much all the 4-letter offenders. CONSUMERISM: 1/5 Mostly fake shows and products are referenced. SUBSTANCE CONSUMPTION: 2/5 Some drinking.
Kid, 11 years old May 31, 2014

hillarious, sexy, but really boring at times

I loved this book. They swear a lot (s***, f***, dam*, ect.) but it's harmless, although quite frequent. One seduction scene in the middle of a graveyard and some bloody hand to hand combat. Lots of advanced mathematical formulas will fascinate teens and older tweens. People drink and get drunk. Great message about never giving up. "14" my butt!
Kid, 12 years old January 3, 2013

Abundance of Awesome

This was a great book with a few slightly inapropriate scenes.
Teen, 13 years old Written byManderzz September 18, 2010

I loved it. Usually, I do N0T read, like at all. But with this book, I just wouldn't put it down! I'd read til like 3am sometimes during the summer, Iknow..Loser. haha, well Its like aREAL good book for a teenager.
Teen, 14 years old Written bykyleeb February 10, 2015

I loved it.

I would not recommend the book for anyone under the age of 14 unless you are more mature. The book has some graphic content, but overall I thought it was pretty suitable.
Teen, 14 years old Written byJimmy brew October 17, 2014

Heartbreaking book is easier and violent but powerful