Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Get age-based picks

Parent reviews for An Ember in the Ashes, Book 1

Gripping romantic fantasy in an alternative universe.

Adult Written byrebma97 January 6, 2016

Very Violent But Intriguing

I'm pretty squeamish when it comes to violence, but the story was so good that I trudged through it. The setting is very interesting, but even more so than that is the characters. Elias was a very realistic character, and I felt that he had the most interesting storyline. I liked Laia okay. She was realistic, but I got annoyed with her insecurity - she keeps talking about how cowardly she is (a self-fulfilling prophecy) and it just gets annoying. But then, near the end, she does a (not quite) 180 and becomes a bit too cold. Honestly, Elias' best friend/second love interest, Helen, was more interesting to me, and I would rather have them together, as they have spent more time together and have good chemistry. But overall it was a good read -plus, it looks like Helen will be getting a larger role in the sequel (yes!) which is awesome. Violence: Lots of violence. Many characters are killed, as the nature of the story is set in a very violent, Ancient Rome-like world. Many references of female characters getting raped/nearly raped. The Commandant is brutal and kills people and tortures them. Sex: Some kissing. References to Masks seeking pleasure from female slaves. Language: Some words like "hell" are used, but nothing too overt. "Skies" seems to be replacing the religious exclamation of "Oh my god". Drinking: Some mentions of drinking/getting drunk. Elias pretends to be drunk at one point to distract a guard.

Parent of a 10 year old Written byAlexa W. August 16, 2017

Amazing!

This book is so addictive. I've read it four times and my 12 year old daughter has read it twice. If you've read the hunger games this is way more mellow.
Adult Written byAmanda M. March 1, 2018

Know your kid

I read the book to see if it was okay to include in my classroom library (sixth-eighth grade). The book connects well other dystopian novels like the Hunger Games and Divergent. If your child likes these books, then he or she will be fine. I really enjoyed the book. There are several mentions of rape and the boys at the military school speak about visiting brothels several times, but it's never depicted. Also, there are several mentions of rape and one character is viciously attacked in an attempted rape. The relationship between the girls and boys hints at a sexual relationship, but it's not depicted. The adventure is worth it! I wouldn't have a problem giving it to my mature 8th graders, but I wouldn't give it to 6th or 7th graders. The swearing is not extreme.

Educational Value
Adult Written bygilly_boy January 16, 2016

This isn't over

Just from the last page alone, there is definitely more in the coming future. For one, Laia and Elias have only known each other for a few days so of course the chemistry will be less than wanted. Well this may be good, it's only the starting point; hopefully the next book, if there is one, will have more interaction and show that those two will be influencing each other. We have already seen a little of Laia affecting Elias when they were locked in a room together. What's good about this story is that we get to see the characters grow a little with Laia being a coward and becoming brave even with the hardships she is faced with.

Adult Written byNBG_EnD September 10, 2018