All member reviews for And Then There Were None

Teen, 13 years old Written byEpicNerd January 28, 2014

The most brilliantly plotted mystery of all time

Ladies and gentlemen, may I present to you, And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie. My gosh was this book incredible! Agatha Christie herself stated after finishing it that, . Not only is the plot expertly and delicately crafted, but the characters are intensely unique and curious. Not once did I find myself bored whilst reading- not once! The setting was mysterious, the characters quirky, and the mystery itself fascinating! Previously published as Ten Little Indians, And Then There Were None is a captivating read following ten very different characters who are all invited to a frequently rumored about island, a mile off the coast of Devon by a Mr. U.N. Owen. Strangely, when they show up, their host isn't there to greet them. While making each others' company, they discover a poem in each of their rooms called "Ten Little Soldier Boys" (some editions may say "Ten Little Indians" or "Ten Little Sailors") that tells a tell of ten soldiers (Indians, sailors,etc.) who dissapear one by one...until there are none. It's when the poem starts to come to life that sets the story off and makes it nearly impossible to put down. Any eager reader looking for a good mystery will most certainly not be dissapointed when they pick up this one-of-a-kind tale. *Content Summary- May Contain Spoilers* Violence: You can't really have a good mystery without murder, and that is indeed a central part to And Then There Were None. Death(s)/Injuries that occur in the novel include brief description of a poisoned victim's face, we see a man whose head has been sliced by an ax, a man's skull is crushed by a marble piece of furniture (not described more that that), shootings, *BIG SPOILER* a hanging, a man is hit over the head, and a man falls to his death and is found purple faced on a rock. There are also flashbacks on deaths of other people such as two people being run over by a car, someone dying during an operation, drowning, etc. Please keep in mind that none of this is ever described graphically- it's all factual. Language: the d-word is used often and the h-word is used a few times. Also, some very, very old versions of the book use the n-word in the poem instead of soldier (Indian, sailor, etc.) and even have it in the title as Ten Little N------. Drinking/Drugs: The guests have brandy. Overdose of a sleeping drug is a cause for one of the deaths as well as injection of other medical drugs. A man reveals *BIG SPOILER* that he was drunk while operating on a woman and killed her (nothing graphic).
Educator and Parent Written bycashmerefeet October 25, 2013

Not for kids or tweens. Maybe High School.

Definitely and adult read with premeditated murders and violence. Very descriptive. Should we be encouraging our children to read books that encourage killings?
Educator Written byBobthezealot August 3, 2015