All member reviews for Animal Farm

Classic satirical allegory about the abuse of power.

Teen, 17 years old Written byabbacus June 16, 2012

Really good!

I liked this book a lot. It's perfect for younger teens.
Teen, 14 years old Written bydaughterofhappiness April 12, 2012

Animal Farm ~ Review by DaughterofHappiness

You'll need a level of maturity to be able to understand this book if you are a kid. Otherwise, most won't be able to see the reason this book was written.
Teen, 13 years old Written byNomacop January 6, 2013

animal farm

a brilliant, clever, satirical novel
Teen, 14 years old Written byTommy141 August 8, 2013

Great educational book

This is a great book, and it is even better if you know all of the historic links to the Russian revolution. Lots of schools read this book, as it is very educational if you understand the things it is trying to say. The content is fine for young readers, but I would suggest reading it after you know the basics of its themes.
Teen, 17 years old Written byTwitt@mi2dangerous4u February 16, 2013

twitter me :@mi2dangerous4u

I would recommend Animal Farm because it is an interesting novel to read. Another reason I would recommend Animal Farm is because it is a very educational book.
Teen, 13 years old Written bynovelreader January 4, 2014

One of the best novels I have ever read.

This is an absolutely marvelous book about the Russian Revolution. I first read it when I was 10 years old and I was shocked by the massacre, but teenagers and older children who are not as sensitive as me can read it and be just fine. Also, the pigs obtain alcohol, but it is a small detail. so I was fine with that when I was 10 years old. Boxer is a great role model and has a lot of determination. It is great for your children to read this if you want to talk about the Russian Revolution or totalitarianism, and Orwell makes you sincerely hate Napoleon and the other pigs (maybe it is just me). Read it if you have the chance!
Kid, 12 years old December 1, 2013

A great book for all ages!

Animal Farm is a very good book. I personally think that it's a book for all ages. For example, little kids can read it and just think it's a fairy tale about animals whereas, older kids will probably get the true message and understand that it's about power. I really enjoyed this book.
Adult Written bythebookreviewer02 December 21, 2014

Appropriate for almost any age, but it will be spoiled if you don't get the message!

This is truly a masterpiece, and, if you choose to read it, you will know the basic gist of Soviet Russia and totalitarianism, both incredibly complex issues, in less than a full day! I was amazed by the sheer magnitude of the message and the many layers waiting to be unraveled. If your child wants to read this book, it's your call whether to let them or not, but be warned! If you read this book without knowing what it's about, the magic of this incredible piece will be lost! They will walk away confused and wondering what the point is. This book is not at all disturbing, especially for young children. Now, I know you're thinking, "What?", but it's true! Young children (minor spoiler) probably won't even know what the glue factory is, and the most disturbing part is that, even though this seems incredibly dystopian, it has happened in real life-several times! In conclusion, if you think your child is ready, suggest and encourage them to read this amazing masterpiece!
Adult Written bydesireeg November 20, 2014

A perfect book.

It is obviously a book informing us about the events leading up to the Russian Revolution of 1917 and then on into the Stalin era in the Soviet Union. I think it is completely appropriate for any age, but you would also have to think about the reading level. But absolutely awesome book, and a good way to give the students a picture in the their heads about the Russian Revolution and how all that came about.
Teen, 14 years old Written byMavrah333 October 10, 2014

Better and more logical than 1984!

Ok, to start: MUCH BETTER THAN 1984! 1984 left me sad, horrified and disappointed, and I started up a new game of Half Life 2 to see whether or not it was as depressing. Half Life 2 wasn't as depressing as 1984 by a long way. On the other hand, Animal Farm is a much better book. With an interesting storyline, a lot of twists and a more satisfactory ending than WARNING SPOILERS FOR 1984 INCOMING HIDE YOUR EYES: he died loving his worst enemy. Some explicitly described violence, but no worse than the cartoon, and some consumerism, but the latter is necessary for the plot. Great book, read it!
Teen, 14 years old Written bybookconsumer February 1, 2014

Not as good as 1984

I think that although there are great underlying meanings in this book, and it discusses communism in great detail, that it is a tad simplistic and that 1984 is better. George Orwell is one of the best authors that I know of and any of his books are great. Anyone who enjoys this book would enjoy 1984.
Teen, 14 years old Written byEliza B. October 4, 2013

Animal farm

It is a very good book, and kids of almost any age can read it, though younger kids might not understand it.