All member reviews for Animal Farm

Classic satirical allegory about the abuse of power.

Teen, 17 years old Written byabbacus June 16, 2012

Really good!

I liked this book a lot. It's perfect for younger teens.
Teen, 14 years old Written bydaughterofhappiness April 12, 2012

Animal Farm ~ Review by DaughterofHappiness

You'll need a level of maturity to be able to understand this book if you are a kid. Otherwise, most won't be able to see the reason this book was written.
Teen, 13 years old Written byNomacop January 6, 2013

animal farm

a brilliant, clever, satirical novel
Teen, 13 years old Written bynovelreader January 4, 2014

One of the best novels I have ever read.

This is an absolutely marvelous book about the Russian Revolution. I first read it when I was 10 years old and I was shocked by the massacre, but teenagers and older children who are not as sensitive as me can read it and be just fine. Also, the pigs obtain alcohol, but it is a small detail. so I was fine with that when I was 10 years old. Boxer is a great role model and has a lot of determination. It is great for your children to read this if you want to talk about the Russian Revolution or totalitarianism, and Orwell makes you sincerely hate Napoleon and the other pigs (maybe it is just me). Read it if you have the chance!
Kid, 12 years old December 1, 2013

A great book for all ages!

Animal Farm is a very good book. I personally think that it's a book for all ages. For example, little kids can read it and just think it's a fairy tale about animals whereas, older kids will probably get the true message and understand that it's about power. I really enjoyed this book.
Teen, 14 years old Written byMavrah333 October 10, 2014

Better and more logical than 1984!

Ok, to start: MUCH BETTER THAN 1984! 1984 left me sad, horrified and disappointed, and I started up a new game of Half Life 2 to see whether or not it was as depressing. Half Life 2 wasn't as depressing as 1984 by a long way. On the other hand, Animal Farm is a much better book. With an interesting storyline, a lot of twists and a more satisfactory ending than WARNING SPOILERS FOR 1984 INCOMING HIDE YOUR EYES: he died loving his worst enemy. Some explicitly described violence, but no worse than the cartoon, and some consumerism, but the latter is necessary for the plot. Great book, read it!
Teen, 13 years old Written byjust...me September 20, 2015

Read below if you want a correct review...

First of all, it is called a novella! Moving on, kids have to have a sense of maturity when reading this novella. It is a satire of totalitarianism. It is about tyranny and manipulation. Although many people read it as a bunch on animals on a farm, it is so much more. Please don't pick up this book for your 8 year old without reading it first. It is an amazing piece of literature, but it is just not a kid's bedtime story. This novella is not written for kids, and it contains violence, higher vocabulary, and a deeper meaning.
Teen, 14 years old Written byTommy141 August 8, 2013

Great educational book

This is a great book, and it is even better if you know all of the historic links to the Russian revolution. Lots of schools read this book, as it is very educational if you understand the things it is trying to say. The content is fine for young readers, but I would suggest reading it after you know the basics of its themes.
Teen, 17 years old Written byIgnatius Chovukkaren June 4, 2016

IT was selected as the top 5 books to read in my school for ISC students

Great book for teens to read. It help understanding so many positive ideals.
Adult Written byhybridauth_user390 December 14, 2015

Animal Farm

The characters such as Napoleon, Snowball, Boxer, Old Major, Mr. Jones, Clover and more people and animals. They had a great role model as in they never broke character. There was a lot of violence as in others killing others with guns, and hitting them. I gave it ages 12 and up because there is violence in it and I don't think the parents would want their child to look at violence or read about it. I gave it four stars because the book wasn't bad it told you who the characters were, what their role was, the conflict, and themes.
Adult Written bydesireeg November 20, 2014

A perfect book.

It is obviously a book informing us about the events leading up to the Russian Revolution of 1917 and then on into the Stalin era in the Soviet Union. I think it is completely appropriate for any age, but you would also have to think about the reading level. But absolutely awesome book, and a good way to give the students a picture in the their heads about the Russian Revolution and how all that came about.
Teen, 14 years old Written bybookconsumer February 1, 2014

Not as good as 1984

I think that although there are great underlying meanings in this book, and it discusses communism in great detail, that it is a tad simplistic and that 1984 is better. George Orwell is one of the best authors that I know of and any of his books are great. Anyone who enjoys this book would enjoy 1984.
Teen, 17 years old Written byTwitt@mi2dangerous4u February 16, 2013

twitter me :@mi2dangerous4u

I would recommend Animal Farm because it is an interesting novel to read. Another reason I would recommend Animal Farm is because it is a very educational book.
Adult Written bythebookreviewer02 December 21, 2014

Appropriate for almost any age, but it will be spoiled if you don't get the message!

This is truly a masterpiece, and, if you choose to read it, you will know the basic gist of Soviet Russia and totalitarianism, both incredibly complex issues, in less than a full day! I was amazed by the sheer magnitude of the message and the many layers waiting to be unraveled. If your child wants to read this book, it's your call whether to let them or not, but be warned! If you read this book without knowing what it's about, the magic of this incredible piece will be lost! They will walk away confused and wondering what the point is. This book is not at all disturbing, especially for young children. Now, I know you're thinking, "What?", but it's true! Young children (minor spoiler) probably won't even know what the glue factory is, and the most disturbing part is that, even though this seems incredibly dystopian, it has happened in real life-several times! In conclusion, if you think your child is ready, suggest and encourage them to read this amazing masterpiece!
Educator Written byfv224970 December 14, 2015
Teen, 17 years old Written byysabellarosalie April 28, 2015

ehhhhhhhhh so so

this book has good viewpoints and totally sums up the communism in russia
Teen, 16 years old Written bynharvey1329 April 28, 2015

Its Good...

Its all good, i suppose. Its for little kids for their bedtime story however Ms D my 10th grade English teacher want to read it to us. Like its our bedtime story. I think its more of a life lesson type deal then an history lesson. Little kids won't know what happened back before WW2. This book is literally what the title sounds like.. The book is about animals who takeover a farm that they use to be controlled in. And now theyre the leaders. Can they rule it or will it break apart?
Kid, 11 years old May 17, 2016

Allegorical political satire on the abuse of power and the illusion of freedom

This isn't a happy story. It has some sad moments, and a major character dies. POSITIVE MESSAGES: None, but messages on the abuse of power. POSITIVE ROLE MODELS: Boxer never gives up, even when he may die. VIOLENCE: A shooting or two, and some executions, but they are not graphically described. Animals think Boxer killed a human, and some animals die. A windmill gets knocked down with dynamite, and animals are nearby. SEXUAL CONTENT: N/A. LANGUAGE: N/A. COMMUNERISM: N/A. DRINKING/DRUGS/SMOKING: Napoleon smokes at the end, and the pigs drink a lot.
Teen, 14 years old Written byEliza B. October 4, 2013

Animal farm

It is a very good book, and kids of almost any age can read it, though younger kids might not understand it.
Teen, 17 years old Written by_____________ August 29, 2015