All member reviews for Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl

Kid, 11 years old February 19, 2012

Detailed, Precise, To-The-Point Review For Worried Parents Who Want The Best For Their Child

There are 2 editions of Anne Frank's diary. Since I read The Definitive Edition (which I say is for GIRLS 12+) I am here to review that. I suggest males to read the critical edition as it has much less content. I will tell you any iffy and suggestive things that ticked me off, but I, not knowing who you nor who your child is, cannot tell you to let your child read or not. I list the pros and cons, you decide "yay" or "nay." Here goes: **There is no language, no consumerism (duh, it takes place in the 40's!)So don't worry about THAT. **Anne talks about menstruation and how she anxiously awaits her period. Sometimes, she says she needs sanitary pads or tampons, but those are scarce because of the fact that they're made of cotton/plastic for the war. She also says her and Margot's bras no longer fit. She wants to go shopping for bras, but as she is in hiding, she can't. **She talks about feeling a deep desire to touch her breasts and how she used to be very curious about her friend, Jacque, and her body. She asked Jacque if they could touch each other's breasts for proof of their friendship. Jacque refused, but later on, Anne kisses her, whether that's on her cheek or lips, she does not say. **Anne talks about sex and says that she and Peter, her boyfriend (who, by the way, neither Anne's nor Peter's parents know they're secretly in a relationship) often speak of that topic. On one certain page of the diary, Peter describes the private part of a male and Anne spends quite a long time describing that of a female. ***Lots of Violence: Anne speaks of air raids, bombs, etc. Often, burglaries occur in Otto's warehouse. And, after all, it IS a book about the Holocaust and the World War II. I think that I covered most of the iffy topics in Anne Frank's Definitive Edition Diary. Thank you for reading, I hope I aided you in your decision of whether or not to allow your child to read "Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl: The Definitive Edition."
Teen, 13 years old Written byCAROLINE<3 November 3, 2011

AWESOME

I read this book when I was about 8 and then again when I was 14. I think that it is good 8 and up.
Teen, 13 years old Written bysourcecoderocks October 9, 2011

Positive Role Models and Messages

I really loved this! I read it in sixth grade and it has really good role models and messages.
Kid, 11 years old May 19, 2012

ANNE FRANK, (by Neve372000)

"The Diary of Anne Frank" is very very sad. Anne is a jew, so she is forced to hide from Hitler. I won't tell you how it ends, but i will tell you to buy lots of tissues.
Teen, 14 years old Written bydedee March 13, 2012

good

Kid, 11 years old June 21, 2014

Great book

As I said in my title great book. It got boring at one part otherwise it was filled with love and action. Parents should know that there is some sexual reference's like: When she wanted to feel her friends breasts and her breasts, She has lots of boyfriends in her short life, She kisses peter ( a boyfriend ) , She wants to have her period. There is a bit of drinking and gambling. Overall great book!
Kid, 11 years old June 15, 2013

Great, But Watch for Some Inappropriate Content.

It is a great gem, but has a lot of sexual content. It talks about Anne having her period, and other stuff like that.
Kid, 12 years old May 8, 2013

good

very good book.
Teen, 13 years old Written byFelicitous Freedom April 9, 2015

Great Book, Would Recommend

I recently decided to curl up with this book once again, and really enjoyed it. I think it's a great, realistic account of what life would be like for a person in hiding during a world war. Before I start giving my review in detail, you should know that there are in fact two versions of this book. The first, the critical version, was put together by Otto, Anne's father. This is a great read, but has been censored and shortened a little bit. Things such as conflicts between Anne and her mother were dialled down, and a few letters about Anne's personal development were cut too. The other version, the definitive version, was put together fairly recently in comparison, and contains 30% more content. I read both of these books, and would thoroughly recommend trying to get your hands on the definitive version. This is the diary of a young girl, and to censor her thoughts seems to me to take away the whole point of reading it. Also, a few of the other reviewers mention that the definitive version isn't suitable for boys or younger children, but really, the content in the book isn't harsh or confronting at all. Anne does talk about getting her period in one or two letters, but this is a fact of life and steering people away from this won't help them grow at all. That being said, some people would prefer to read the critical version. At the end of the day, it is their choice, and depends on the reader. Just bear in mind that there are differences between the two versions when you are deciding which to read. "Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl" is set in wartime Holland. Anne is a young Jewish girl in hiding, along with 8 others. The diary's entries start before they have to go to their 'secret annex', as their hiding pace is revered to throughout Anne's entries, and follows Anne's journey from there. The entries reflect on Anne's thoughts and emotions, her development as a young girl into a teenager, and life in hiding. Anne's words are deep and profound, and tell a beautiful story. Of course, this beautiful story is a rather dark one. Anne is constantly living in fear of being found by the Gestapo. She has limited rations, and is cramped up into a tiny space, not allowed to go outside. The sound of gunshots are a common occurrence. The themes in this book are clearly dark. It's not a light read, at all. Anne's diary entries aren't graphic, but still leave you chilled. The entries Anne addressed were beautifully written. I found myself connecting with Anne, and before long I felt like she was a close friend. Anne's diary is written in such a way that it is impossible to distance yourself from her words. This book is a truly captivating read, and offers deep insites into a very important, yet dark, part of humanity's past. I would recommend for anyone in their late Tweens or above. This book would be enjoyed by a wide variety of ages.
Teen, 13 years old Written byTenillelovesbooks May 17, 2012

I love Anne frank the book

We are reading this book in class as a class novel. Not once have I ever been so interested in a book my whole life. The whole class is begging to read more pages because we only read it once a day :( My knowledge on world war II has grown so much considering I only knew so little. I feel as if I know Anne and when she's writing diary entries to 'kitty' I feel as though there to me. Words can't describe how strongly I recommend this awesome book! YOU HAVE TO READ IT! :) :) :) :)
Kid, 11 years old May 9, 2015

Amazing :)

I've read the definitive edition, and it's an amazing book for those girls (sorry boys, that book isn't for you exactly) who will become teens. Some content is not appropriate for younger kids, as they talk about sex and the private parts, but it's still plenty of fun.
Teen, 14 years old Written byStoic-Demon August 5, 2014

Wonderful Book

the reason why i chose age 13: Anne Frank was a teen when she was writing in her diary on how she felt. I feel that 13 year olds (and above) will have a sense of what's going one, because they are close to her age in the book. 13+ teens will also know what's being said in the book. I read it when I was 11 and didn't understand what was going on. I read it again in my English class when i was 13 and I understood more and what feelings were being felt in the book. Also to the people rating the book as "too much violence", it was during world war II, give it a break.
Kid, 12 years old June 2, 2014

Interesting

has some inappropriate parts, but it's interesting.
Teen, 15 years old Written byMani Dixit August 15, 2012

It's worth your time!

i believe that dis is not just somethn like a book...it instead is some1s lyf nd so it is soo very important to respect it nd consider its horrible context too... i read dis book 4 my skul project nd nw i feel it ws worth evry hour i spent reading it... its a diary of a young teen girl nd so teens wud love it... language is quite difficult though bt wht 4 v have a dictionary,huh? parents cn read it as "How To Be A Good Parent" kind of buk..as in it Anne tells us abt her personal fellings of hw a parent shud be.. so ultimate thing is that it is a MUST READ...!! (I lvd it nd so wud u) :)
Teen, 15 years old Written byOfficial Critic June 4, 2012

Great diary with World War II references

BOOK INFO: A great diary written by Anne Frank before she died. Many references to World War II. VIOLENCE: Medium. References to the war, shootings, bombings and air raids etc. No mentioning of graphical/bloody scenes in the text. LANGUAGE: None. SEX: Low-Medium. Some sexual references and kissing.
Teen, 13 years old Written byME!!! April 23, 2012

Amazing

this is a great way for younger people to learn about the Holocaust and what really happened
Kid, 12 years old October 5, 2014

Touching

I first read this book in Grade 4. It was really inspiring and made me want to write a diary too.
Kid, 9 years old May 22, 2014

a great book for kids that are interested in the world war 2.I love reading war books and we are going to read it in the brookridge middle school! So i am super excited!!!
Teen, 17 years old Written byAura Lawerence May 9, 2014

Its Like a Peep in Someone's Life

Reading this was sort of a revelation to me ! I read it for the first time when i was 14. It made me look at the World War II In an all together different way! The one thing that strikes u hard is that it isn't something created by the mind dude, it is what some people went through at some point in this world! Being a teen it surprises u that Anne was so much like us, an ordinary girl of 21 century only born in a wrong time period! Despite everything she manages to write cheerfully and almost bluntly about the things she goes through!!! She is not being preachy how could she, she just writes naked truths! Try it if u really wish to know what all unimaginable things went on behind the terror of Hitler and under the Banner of the Most Brutal World War II
Teen, 15 years old Written byBUCKBUCK August 4, 2013

good book

This is a great book. I first read it at 10 but it was too much for me. I reread it at 13 and loved it. So hard to believe it's true.