All member reviews for Are You There God? It's Me Margaret.

Classic coming-of-age story rings true decades later.

Parent of a 13 year old Written byohya August 17, 2010
mild sexual behaviour
Teen, 13 years old Written byMorganwashere12 November 19, 2010

:) Awesome.

When my mother recommended the book, I was interested. I can relate to Margret, in so many ways. I loved it. It's a quick read, but defiantly worth reading. Read it in about a day.
Kid, 11 years old February 17, 2010
an awesome book
Parent Written byleekp June 3, 2013

Website reviewer got this one wrong.

I have a real issue with the reviewer for CSM - not a parent or kid, the actual website reviewer - for saying "this book presents a pretty realistic take on what it's like to be a sixth-grade girl (which means it's fine for girls a bit younger since they are always looking ahead)" - this is EXACTLY what I don't want; I want my daughter reading age appropriate books. As for this book, it's quite good for 12 year olds, not suitable for those "a bit younger."
Teen, 15 years old Written byhamstergurl09 April 21, 2010

Not One of My Favorites.

A lot of girls I know really enjoyed this book, because it was, in their words, "an excellent coming of age novel." I read it when I was 10. Personally, I couldn't relate to it, because Margaret is obsessed with physically developing, which I never really cared about. Also, she kind of just follows the herd, and listens to whatever everyone else says. I'm not like that at all. This book is also pretty dated, considering it was written in the early 1970s. It's a period piece...no pun intended. I guess a "girly" girl might like it.
Parent of a 6 year old Written bymadsmooney1214 October 20, 2012

are you there god its me margaret

embarrassed by things like bra shopping. This book was written in 1970 -- do you think a lot has changed since then? Do you feel like you relate to Margaret? Margaret's friend Nancy spreads gossip about Laura -- she says that Laura lets boys feel her up and that even their teacher can't keep his eyes off her figure. What do you think it's like to be Laura? Do you think girls who develop early still get targeted in this way?
Parent of a 17 year old Written byzainu March 13, 2011

Perfect for older kids, but not for tweens

ARE YOU THERE GOD, IT'S ME MARGARET mba online
Teen, 13 years old Written byBook_Worm313 February 24, 2010

Every girl should read this before if not during 6th grade.

I absolutely love this book. Margaret is the type of girl we can all relate to. She has friendship problems (i.e. Nancy) and she has problems with coming into herself and her body as we most do (i.e. stiffing her bra with cotton balls). Another big part of the novel is religion. Margaret doesn't really have a religion since her mother is a Christian and her father is Jewish, so she feels the pull to choose. The book follows her search for her own self body wise (her wanting her period) and spirit wise (choice of religion). I read Are You There God? It’s Me Margaret when I began middle school, and now as I am almost done with my last year before starting the four year journey of high school, I believe that Margaret's story truly stated the confusion of being a preteen where you are just being that awkward stage of your body developing, and your starting to become more of your own person instead of your parent. I read the book at 11, but I recommend it for anyone grade 5 and up. The book does talk about something topics that are a little older such as bras, periods, and boys, but none of those topics are inappropriate for preteens. Every girl should read this book before she is 13, though it would be more informing and educational if she read it around 10-11.
Parent of a 2, 9, and 12 year old Written byB H. April 21, 2015

Love You Margaret!

I read this book before letting my daughter read it just to preview the content and I must say it is an excellent, informational, yet fictional book for tweens and young teens. The main character, Margaret, endures troubles with a new school, friends, boys, religion, and other realistic things girls might worry about. There is some sexual behavior and suggestions including bra and period talk, use of the magazine Playboy, mild kissing, crushing, and rumors of dating. However, Margaret doesn't encourage this behavior and is cautious when it comes to her body and physical interaction with boys. Older girls can learn much about what's to come, their growing bodies, and what troubles or worries they might face through this fun fictional story.
Teen, 13 years old Written byreadyourheartout March 5, 2010

Every girl is like Margret(:

I am a 13 year old and i read this for a book report, and i have to say that it is a great book for pre-teens to read so they have a heads up on whats going to happen to them in the future. its absolutely amazing on what you read from Judy Blume. Just fantastic(: oh, and parents! i think you should talk to you daughter about whats happening in this book, because on some parts they might not understand it. So its a must read for tweens!!
Kid, 11 years old August 13, 2009
I loved this book! It was funny and very educational at the same time!! =]
Teen, 13 years old Written byKawaiiPanda November 19, 2010

Judy Blume, you've done it again!

I'm in grade 8, I have read it 10+ times. It is a wonderful book, great for those going through "That time"
Kid, 11 years old July 31, 2009

good for tween girls

whatever you do dont let a boy read it......
Teen, 13 years old Written byPrissy_g July 31, 2009

Perfect

It's good, It's very funny. Sing along! "We must, We must, We must Increase our bust"
Adult Written byjaslinm February 6, 2015

Its Great

Its really helpful
Teen, 13 years old Written bylannaia1 October 12, 2014

disturbing

so I know alot of oher girls like this book but seriously, i really dont care about getting "boobs". If you care about that kind of stuff go ahea and read it but if you dont care dont read it.
Parent of a 11 year old Written bykimawalker April 27, 2013

Fun read

Good story to read with your daughters as they near puberty
Teen, 13 years old Written byNoseStuckInABook April 22, 2010

Great middle school (pre-middle school) reading

I read this when I was ten. I loved it. To be honest, I can barely remember what happened. But it's a classic. I loved it.
Teen, 13 years old Written bysoccer_mufc13 September 26, 2009

Really Good!

I read this book last year, and i really liked it, it had some stuff about periods, and boobs (bras) but asides that i think it was a pretty good book. I would recommend it for kids ages 11+
Kid, 9 years old October 19, 2011

Not Read Yet

Myself, I haven't read it, but my friend is and she says it is amzing , and I get to read it after her!