All member reviews for Are You There God? It's Me Margaret.

Classic coming-of-age story rings true decades later.

Teen, 15 years old Written byhamstergurl09 April 21, 2010

Not One of My Favorites.

A lot of girls I know really enjoyed this book, because it was, in their words, "an excellent coming of age novel." I read it when I was 10. Personally, I couldn't relate to it, because Margaret is obsessed with physically developing, which I never really cared about. Also, she kind of just follows the herd, and listens to whatever everyone else says. I'm not like that at all. This book is also pretty dated, considering it was written in the early 1970s. It's a period piece...no pun intended. I guess a "girly" girl might like it.
Parent of a 13 year old Written byohya August 17, 2010

mild sexual behaviour
Teen, 13 years old Written byMorganwashere12 November 19, 2010

:) Awesome.

When my mother recommended the book, I was interested. I can relate to Margret, in so many ways. I loved it. It's a quick read, but defiantly worth reading. Read it in about a day.
Teen, 13 years old Written byBook_Worm313 February 24, 2010

Every girl should read this before if not during 6th grade.

I absolutely love this book. Margaret is the type of girl we can all relate to. She has friendship problems (i.e. Nancy) and she has problems with coming into herself and her body as we most do (i.e. stiffing her bra with cotton balls). Another big part of the novel is religion. Margaret doesn't really have a religion since her mother is a Christian and her father is Jewish, so she feels the pull to choose. The book follows her search for her own self body wise (her wanting her period) and spirit wise (choice of religion). I read Are You There God? It’s Me Margaret when I began middle school, and now as I am almost done with my last year before starting the four year journey of high school, I believe that Margaret's story truly stated the confusion of being a preteen where you are just being that awkward stage of your body developing, and your starting to become more of your own person instead of your parent. I read the book at 11, but I recommend it for anyone grade 5 and up. The book does talk about something topics that are a little older such as bras, periods, and boys, but none of those topics are inappropriate for preteens. Every girl should read this book before she is 13, though it would be more informing and educational if she read it around 10-11.
Teen, 13 years old Written byNoseStuckInABook April 22, 2010

Great middle school (pre-middle school) reading

I read this when I was ten. I loved it. To be honest, I can barely remember what happened. But it's a classic. I loved it.
Kid, 11 years old August 13, 2009

I loved this book! It was funny and very educational at the same time!! =]
Kid, 12 years old August 21, 2009

tweens will love it

i love this book its funny and very good. I would recomed this book for 10 up.
Teen, 13 years old Written byKawaiiPanda November 19, 2010

Judy Blume, you've done it again!

I'm in grade 8, I have read it 10+ times. It is a wonderful book, great for those going through "That time"
Kid, 11 years old August 30, 2010

good for middle schoolers

best book i've ever read
Kid, 10 years old August 15, 2010

Good for anyone who is dealing with puberty

Magret is mature but yet acts her age too. I think we are all margrets.
Parent of a 10 year old Written byssara May 16, 2011

superb message

I enjoy reading the article. Its good at least there are people who think about god.Dentist NYC
Kid, 11 years old March 25, 2010

i never read this book b4 but i really want to. im 11 and my mom said i can so, i guess i could. im in 5th grade too.
Teen, 13 years old Written byreadyourheartout March 5, 2010

Every girl is like Margret(:

I am a 13 year old and i read this for a book report, and i have to say that it is a great book for pre-teens to read so they have a heads up on whats going to happen to them in the future. its absolutely amazing on what you read from Judy Blume. Just fantastic(: oh, and parents! i think you should talk to you daughter about whats happening in this book, because on some parts they might not understand it. So its a must read for tweens!!
Kid, 11 years old February 17, 2010

an awesome book
Kid, 11 years old August 13, 2010

Love It! If you are worrided about kids exposed to talking about periods dont get it
Teen, 14 years old Written bypopstar1049 May 11, 2010

Pretty good! funny for sure!
Kid, 12 years old February 18, 2010

My friend read it as a 4th grader so i think its compleatly cool for about 7 and up, but you wouldent like it because you would have no clue what 1/2 the stuff is. umm... Ok well You know what, sex, and bras, and kissing, ALL PART OF GROWING UP and thats what the book IS ABOUT! so if u have a problem with that dont b annoying and say"Oh too innaproprate" Cuz its not innaproprate cuz its how U came about this world so suck it up cuz ur kids life is filled with this stuff, So she might aswell Know about it so she will feel less alone and feel better. I'd know. Im 13 and confused, and this book is a big helper.
Teen, 13 years old Written bysoccer_mufc13 September 26, 2009

Really Good!

I read this book last year, and i really liked it, it had some stuff about periods, and boobs (bras) but asides that i think it was a pretty good book. I would recommend it for kids ages 11+
Kid, 11 years old October 14, 2010

I Loved this book! I am reading it again!
Teen, 13 years old Written byneonnloveeee August 29, 2010

This is a great book for tweens! it is an awesome coming of age book. It teaches girls about puberty and other topics, also Margaret is basically a normal, real life sixth grader. I read it when I was ten, and it was a huge help. A must read for tweens ages 10-11+ !!!!!