All member reviews for Are You There God? It's Me Margaret.

Classic coming-of-age story rings true decades later.

Parent of a 13 year old Written byohya August 17, 2010

mild sexual behaviour
Teen, 13 years old Written byMorganwashere12 November 19, 2010

:) Awesome.

When my mother recommended the book, I was interested. I can relate to Margret, in so many ways. I loved it. It's a quick read, but defiantly worth reading. Read it in about a day.
Kid, 11 years old February 17, 2010

an awesome book
Parent of a 17 year old Written byzainu March 13, 2011

Perfect for older kids, but not for tweens

ARE YOU THERE GOD, IT'S ME MARGARET mba online
Teen, 15 years old Written byhamstergurl09 April 21, 2010

Not One of My Favorites.

A lot of girls I know really enjoyed this book, because it was, in their words, "an excellent coming of age novel." I read it when I was 10. Personally, I couldn't relate to it, because Margaret is obsessed with physically developing, which I never really cared about. Also, she kind of just follows the herd, and listens to whatever everyone else says. I'm not like that at all. This book is also pretty dated, considering it was written in the early 1970s. It's a period piece...no pun intended. I guess a "girly" girl might like it.
Parent of a 6 year old Written bymadsmooney1214 October 20, 2012

are you there god its me margaret

embarrassed by things like bra shopping. This book was written in 1970 -- do you think a lot has changed since then? Do you feel like you relate to Margaret? Margaret's friend Nancy spreads gossip about Laura -- she says that Laura lets boys feel her up and that even their teacher can't keep his eyes off her figure. What do you think it's like to be Laura? Do you think girls who develop early still get targeted in this way?
Teen, 13 years old Written byreadyourheartout March 5, 2010

Every girl is like Margret(:

I am a 13 year old and i read this for a book report, and i have to say that it is a great book for pre-teens to read so they have a heads up on whats going to happen to them in the future. its absolutely amazing on what you read from Judy Blume. Just fantastic(: oh, and parents! i think you should talk to you daughter about whats happening in this book, because on some parts they might not understand it. So its a must read for tweens!!
Teen, 13 years old Written byBook_Worm313 February 24, 2010

Every girl should read this before if not during 6th grade.

I absolutely love this book. Margaret is the type of girl we can all relate to. She has friendship problems (i.e. Nancy) and she has problems with coming into herself and her body as we most do (i.e. stiffing her bra with cotton balls). Another big part of the novel is religion. Margaret doesn't really have a religion since her mother is a Christian and her father is Jewish, so she feels the pull to choose. The book follows her search for her own self body wise (her wanting her period) and spirit wise (choice of religion). I read Are You There God? It’s Me Margaret when I began middle school, and now as I am almost done with my last year before starting the four year journey of high school, I believe that Margaret's story truly stated the confusion of being a preteen where you are just being that awkward stage of your body developing, and your starting to become more of your own person instead of your parent. I read the book at 11, but I recommend it for anyone grade 5 and up. The book does talk about something topics that are a little older such as bras, periods, and boys, but none of those topics are inappropriate for preteens. Every girl should read this book before she is 13, though it would be more informing and educational if she read it around 10-11.
Kid, 11 years old August 13, 2009

I loved this book! It was funny and very educational at the same time!! =]
Parent of a 11 year old Written bykimawalker April 27, 2013

Fun read

Good story to read with your daughters as they near puberty
Teen, 13 years old Written byKawaiiPanda November 19, 2010

Judy Blume, you've done it again!

I'm in grade 8, I have read it 10+ times. It is a wonderful book, great for those going through "That time"
Kid, 11 years old August 13, 2010

Love It! If you are worrided about kids exposed to talking about periods dont get it
Kid, 12 years old February 18, 2010

My friend read it as a 4th grader so i think its compleatly cool for about 7 and up, but you wouldent like it because you would have no clue what 1/2 the stuff is. umm... Ok well You know what, sex, and bras, and kissing, ALL PART OF GROWING UP and thats what the book IS ABOUT! so if u have a problem with that dont b annoying and say"Oh too innaproprate" Cuz its not innaproprate cuz its how U came about this world so suck it up cuz ur kids life is filled with this stuff, So she might aswell Know about it so she will feel less alone and feel better. I'd know. Im 13 and confused, and this book is a big helper.
Teen, 13 years old Written bysoccer_mufc13 September 26, 2009

Really Good!

I read this book last year, and i really liked it, it had some stuff about periods, and boobs (bras) but asides that i think it was a pretty good book. I would recommend it for kids ages 11+
Kid, 11 years old July 31, 2009

good for tween girls

whatever you do dont let a boy read it......
Teen, 13 years old Written byPrissy_g July 31, 2009

Perfect

It's good, It's very funny. Sing along! "We must, We must, We must Increase our bust"
Teen, 14 years old Written byaeropostal111 May 18, 2009

i laughed!"

this book was the best book i have ever read like it takls about girls and how they grow up and how we all are going t grow up sonner or later some girls did have to wear bras in grade 4 it is not that big of a deal we are all going have to wear one 1 day
Teen, 13 years old Written byButieBabe584 April 9, 2008

It's Great

I loved the book! My friend was readding the book and i thought it sounded interesting. i'm on chapter 19 and i'm hooked!!! Judie Blume is one of my favorite writers! The book is about a girl named Margret and it's about her new life in New Jersey and her new friends Loved it! Debbie
Adult Written by8448 April 9, 2008

love it

great book
Parent of a 9 and 12 year old Written bysassysas April 21, 2015

Love You Margaret!

I read this book before letting my daughter read it just to preview the content and I must say it is an excellent, informational, yet fictional book for tweens and young teens. The main character, Margaret, endures troubles with a new school, friends, boys, religion, and other realistic things girls might worry about. There is some sexual behavior and suggestions including bra and period talk, use of the magazine Playboy, mild kissing, crushing, and rumors of dating. However, Margaret doesn't encourage this behavior and is cautious when it comes to her body and physical interaction with boys. Older girls can learn much about what's to come, their growing bodies, and what troubles or worries they might face through this fun fictional story.