All member reviews for Artemis Fowl Book 4: The Opal Deception

Fun kid genius series shows hero's nicer side.

Teen, 13 years old Written byLaynieSkywalker March 20, 2011

e.g. some readers will love but not all

Opal deception may be violent at some points but not all. Holly and Artemis have to work together even if they're Archenemies. Opal is after her enemy Artemis Fowl and Holly Short tries to save him but she herself gets stuck with Artemis and Mulch Diggums. Its a race to stay alive and to keep away from Opal and her little helpers
Adult Written byTending Bloom April 9, 2008

A new Artemis...

Having read the previous Artemis Fowl books, this is a nice conclusion. Only Opal could pull it off. A warning:There is a death of a major character at the beginning. It is a bit shocking. This book is very fast paced. You will hardly have time to catch your breath. Well worth reading.
Teen, 13 years old Written byavidcritc April 9, 2008

a relief

this book was such a relief. it had seemed like artemis fowl would end as a trilogy, and the end of book three made everything that had happened until then seem utterly pointless. i kinda liked that arty was off balance most of the book- it made him more human, and he had to come up with things on the spur of the moment. he also develops a surprising sense of humor (always a plus). all in all, a great book. the only thing is, when he's coming up with and even implementing his secret plans, you don't know any more about them than the villains. it can really be kind of irritating.
Kid, 10 years old April 9, 2008

Artemis Fowl-A must reader[so is pendagon]

Did you actully think a mind wipe was the end of Artemis Fowl? Well, your wrong! What will happen to Artemis? Will he get his memories back?Find out!

Must Read Book!!!

Its awsome. read it and you'll want to do it again.
Teen, 14 years old Written bybobbeta30 June 23, 2010

Please don't call this series "fun". It's epic.

it's longer, more action action-packed(yay) than it's awesome sequals! a must read
Teen, 17 years old Written byArtemisFreak April 9, 2008

Criminally Good!

This book really is brilliant. The mixture of humour, action, intelligence, excitement, and the sheer need to know what happens next combine to make a great book! I cant wait for the next in the series. For anyone else that enjoyed this book, I suggest you check out It is a fantastic Artemis fansite, with info, news about the movie, games, fanart, forums etc. for Artemis fans!

This is a book I must say!!!

Well this dosen't reach to my love of books since I love big books like the lightning theif and Eragon, and Eldest. Anyway it is good since it reached up to 4 stars!! Annyways I actually got into the book which I don't usaully do so I like it!! I kinda picked the wrong book since I haven't read the first. The part about Julius Root was kinda wierd but very sad to the Artemis Fowl fans.
Kid, 12 years old May 13, 2010

Well... kinda confused, here.

At times, Artemis is good, but he IS a master criminal... so i'm not sure what to mark! =-P

Best Ever!

I couldn't put it down! An imaginative plot swirled with beautifully made charachters makes it enjoyable.Artemis, Holly, Butler, and Mulch reached a new high in this addicting read.
Adult Written byZolotros April 9, 2008

the 3rd book was certainly not the last book in the series, as we can tell. artemis gets himself and holly into a real problem. there is really only one way to describe this book: TROLL NASTY. i love it!
Teen, 14 years old Written byiluvKH April 9, 2008

One of my favourite series.

This book is really good, funny, exciting, and smart. Very compelling story.
Parent Written byAnanth Bharadwaj November 27, 2012

Artemis Fowl

Teen, 16 years old Written byhalo 6 July 18, 2010

a good read for all ages

a great read!
Teen, 14 years old Written byqueezle_djinni_lover April 9, 2008

Best yet of the Artemis Fowl series, a must read for Arty and Holly lovers!

This is a brilliant book, really! Colfer's best one yet! It's very in-depth, action-packed, and all the other hyphenated words I can think of.. forty-two? lol. Just kidding. I did find a few parts to my dislike, the Julius Root incident, for one, and the troll scene was icky. I don't like trolls. But other than that, I like the book. The audio book is even better, I might add. I am also glad that chocolate truffles played a major role in The Opal Deception. lol.
Teen, 13 years old Written byeowyn April 9, 2008

The series has renewd its greatness.

I must say, getting hooked on this was no harder then getting hooked on the other Artemis Fowl books. Opal Koboi's return started the come back of this series. As a bonus, another rollercoaster plot with suprising twists awaits fans of the series. I tip my hat to the author for such plot-making talent.
Teen, 14 years old Written byMaribel April 9, 2008
Teen, 13 years old Written byblackbeltgirl November 12, 2013

Loved it!

Just finished this book yesterday and loved it!! The book should still make sense if you read it before the others, but I definitely suggest reading the books in order. In the book, Opal is hungry for revenge and seeks to kill her old enemies so obviously some violence take place. Nothing too gruesome though and nothing graphic. After a bomb explodes, one major character disintegrates. Two bio-bombs are detonated, though neither reaches its target. Trolls are trolls (which, for those of you new to the series, means destroying everything in their paths). Overall, the book is amazing and I'll likely be reading it again.