All member reviews for Ask the Passengers

Powerful, poignant story of teen girl in love with a girl.

Parent of a 6 year old Written bymadsmooney1214 November 28, 2012

ask the passengers

Families can talk about tolerance and bullying. How realistic is the Unity Valley High population's response to the news there are gay students in their midst? Is the bullying realistic? What's the book's message about realizing you're gay? Should Astrid have handled the issue differently -- said something sooner to please her best friends? How are Astrid's parents atypical? Is it realistic that her mother would so brazenly prefer her sister? What about her father's recreational drug use?
Teen, 16 years old Written byorangealex December 8, 2013

Great Book.

This is one of the best books I have ever read. It has some language and sexual content, but the author has a way of keeping it tasteful. This book has a great message that all kids should hear.
Teen, 13 years old Written bydanceandsmile September 7, 2014

Read in seventh grade- enjoyed!

I think that families need to remember that this is 2014... kids do talk about these things. It's all about maturity. Sure, it is a parent's decision to decide what their kid reads, but I stand strongly to my opinion that this book has educational value. Sure there's mentions of drugs, sex, swearing, and drinking, but it truthfully is a story about finding yourself. That is what happens to modern day teens (maybe 17+). It makes the story more realistic.
Teen, 16 years old Written byNotYourThyla March 2, 2016

AMAZING

I absolutely adored this book and have read it many times!! If you enjoy books that don't constantly shove hetero-normative relationships in your face, then you'll probably end up liking it. It takes a very real sort of view into Astrid's mind and I adored all the philosophy she uses to try to figure out her life. It makes her more of a unique character and not the typical teen that tends to be depicted in books. I wouldn't suggest this book for people much younger than thirteen only because it does have quite a bit of swearing and drug use, though neither is terribly excessive.
Teen, 14 years old Written bygreenloversara August 18, 2015

Good book with a good story

This is a good book. It is a good and easy read. Hope this helped