All member reviews for Beautiful

Teen, 13 years old Written bychickennugg December 11, 2013

Ehhhh

I read this book, and I am 13 years old. I read it in a span of a few days and, to be honest, I wish I hadn't. I am not insulting the author because the book was well written, but I think I read at too young of an age and it kind of scarred me. Sometimes I think of parts of the book and I shudder because they were so graphic and NOT APPROPRIATE. Maybe if you are 14 or 15 and above this would be a fine book, it is just a little innapropriate. Cassie also has a sexual relationship with another girl which totally confuses me and I wish that was not part of the story. lil weird
Teen, 14 years old Written byladibuq September 11, 2010

perfect for 13 and up

i love this book so much ! because kids these days are doing drugs and having sex so why not read a book about it and what can happen.
Teen, 16 years old Written byAlena Bennett July 30, 2011

R-rated

Whether it "needs to be known" or not. Whether it's the "real world" or not. There are some things that are just too grimy for children and young teens (and I am making this judgment as a 16 year old, myself). Parents, ask yourself: would you let your child watch a movie with excessive violence, drugs, and sex? Reading about it is just the same- if not worse. Be mindful of what they're reading. Of what they're absorbing.
Teen, 13 years old Written byTheVeronicasFan123 January 28, 2011

EXTREMELY EXPLICIT SEX

Well, I haven't red it. I don't think I'm going to. I liked the Ellen Hopkins books, but my friend read it, and teens don't need to hear "I think I'm gonna c-m" or "the condom was still on his shriveling p---s" or "the bruises on my legs showed that e'd touched me for a long time". This is an emotionally wrenching book, and unless you can handle sex, drugs, violence, heartbreak, grief, and pain, you should not red "Beautiful". The worst part was to think that a thirteen-year-old would do all of these things. It is very gritty and explicit. This seems like a knockoff of "Tricks" by Ellen Hopkins. I'm osrry if you like this book, that's fine. You may be able to handle things better than I can. But I personally see this as a wrenching tale. It may portray the public school teenagers life, but I wouldn't know. I've gone to prep school all of my life. I think you should choose a different book unless you can handle he subject matter.
Kid, 12 years old November 14, 2011

The most AMAZING story ever .

Wow . Im speechless because of how good it was. Best book i've ever read in my whole 12 years.
Teen, 13 years old Written bymysticology May 19, 2015

Good Book For Mature Kids&Teens

I believe that Beautiful is a very moving and honest book. It talks about problems that people have and that the whole world isn't amazing for everybody. I think that it's a good book for mature readers but definitely not for kids under the age of 12. Yes, the book talks about challenging topics such as sex, drugs and alcohol but it's a book that faces reality and how harsh life can be. It's a powerful and moving book. Being the same age as Cassie, it made me feel for her and be thankful for the privileged life that I live. It didn't make me uncomfortable that she was doing all of these sinful and vulgar acts at 13 but it's reality. Kids: Don't read it (unless mature) Teens: Read Parents: Talk about sex, drugs and alcohol. Educate your children.
Teen, 13 years old Written byRtora June 13, 2014

bad!!!

Teen, 15 years old Written byJTDB July 7, 2013

Meh.

Honestly I don't get what all the hype was about. I read so many reviews of this book saying 'best book eva!!!!!! x0x' maybe if you are a thirteen year old you might enjoy this book but to me it was just another novel. Like so many other books the main character starts hanging out and being influenced by the 'wrong crowd' she tries drugs for the first time, loses her virginity, starts drinking, and does many other illegal things thirteen year olds shouldn't be doing. But then she makes a friend, tries to help her and everything turns to crap. This is a very typical coming-of-age story and deserves, really, no special mention. Beware of the f word and many other little swear words (s***, c**p etc.) There is sex but not detailed enough to cause any concern... The worst part is that in the end everything works out ok for this girl who has wasted her tweenage years and that is setting a bad example for younger girls looking for a role model. As long as your daughter understands that even though it worked out ok for Cassie in the end, an end result ike the one in the book is not always achieved in real life.
Teen, 16 years old Written bydreawesome February 3, 2013

Must Read for Adults and Young Adults

I think this is a nice book to show adults what is REALLY happening to some of us - teenagers. Yeah, some teens might handle everything smoothly but some of us, don't - like the characters in the book. Some struggles and this book portrays it. And parents must realize that their children needs enough attention. They should not be neglected but they don't need too much attention either. And I think this book is also a good-read for mature teenagers. It'll make them realize that screwing up can really screw things up. It did scare me a little bit. And that's a good thing, right? 'cause it prevented me to do something violent or dumb like do drugs or have sex.
Teen, 13 years old Written bynoa3005 June 26, 2012

BEAUTIFUL- Amy Reed review

A very good book so far.. not completely done but i can't put this book down! Now I will say this book may not be appropriate for anyone under the age of 13 so what I am saying is this book is in a sense PG-13 or maybe even M for mature (13+ in my book).. Honestly .. This book isn't the most uplifteing (so far) soo.. if your looking for a more insipering book than you may want to try my favorite book Teen Idol - Meg Cabot or The earth,My butt,& other big roundthings - carolyn mackler.. Hope this helps
Teen, 13 years old Written byiwillbeheard May 21, 2012

Listen up.

For all of you that think this book is 'another book about depressing topics', its not. Its a 13 year old who just wants to be cool. She only wants to be cool, and she will do anything for it. She struggles with everything; sex, drugs, alcohol, violence. This book covers those topics. The true theme of this book isnt those topics. It is body image. It is called Beautiful, because when the main character feels beautiful, she feels like she is cool. The main character has never been called Beautiful before. She has never been beautiful in her opinion. The scary thing about this book is the reality. Everything in it, could be happening as you read this. 13 year old girls could be in her shoes. 13 year old girls are in her shoes. When you want to be liked, to be called Beautiful, to be cool, it changes you. This book should be read by every single girl. No one should go though life without hearing pain that could be happening to people that they know. The real truth is, no one can say that its 'another one of (insert author's name here)'s book'. It is so real, too real to ignore.
Teen, 13 years old Written byrayhnea May 8, 2012

amazing!!

think book teaches you something about life and its a good book!!
Teen, 13 years old Written bymoustachelove May 29, 2011

i loved it

i absolutly loved it i read it in about 4 hours through-out the day it was asome cassie is a really good person done inside i think though
Teen, 13 years old Written by-smile.kid- February 5, 2011

Beautiful - Not So Beautiful Reality

Seventh-grader Cassie moves away from the island, completely changed. She soon befriends the girls she's always dreamed of being, the smart preppy girls, only to be pulled away within the first week by Alex, a rebellious teen who's just as friendless as Cassie. Cassie quickly is sucked in to a world of sex, drugs, and begins to question love. She says, "Maybe this is all love is and all love will ever be - boys f-cking girls and pretending it's love, girls getting f-cked and pretending they like it, saying 'I love you,too,' and wanting to throw up." Then Sarah, Alex's half-sister, moves in with her after being raped by her father since she was little. Cassie and Sarah grow close, and soon Sarah's the only person she can stand, but when Cassie needs her the most, she finds out she committed suicide in fear of being found by her father. After denying a long-term plan to go to Portland with Alex, a vicious rumor is spread that completely destroys her reputation. Cassie then moves again, back to her normal self, and makes friends with another girl. Overall, I really liked beautiful, but it did have some flaws. Cassie seemed to change overnight, and in the beginning she was a robot, doing anything Alex told her to do. Secondly, the only characters who you really got to know about were Cassie and Sarah. It would have been nice to find out more about Alex, Ethan, James, her parents, and Lenora. But seeing as this was only Amy Reed's first novel, it was very well-written and one of my favorite books.
Teen, 16 years old Written bygleefreak December 20, 2010

I really liked this book , my friend lent it to me and I could not put the book down ! It was soo interesting and I was very impressed with the tye of story and cant wait for Clean !
Teen, 13 years old Written byNiki421 November 7, 2010

READ IT, LIKE IT? KNOW IT , NOW!

i think this book is very interesting i can not read a boring book and one night i went to indigo and found this, it's the best book i've read in a long time. I'm not joking i'm under age 13 and yes it is a little inapropite but not as bad as some of the stuff your tennage kids and or age10-teenage are talking about or for a teen, what they are doing.While reading the book i noticed it's not what i thought is was , definatly not at ALL!
Teen, 13 years old Written byBeliefs-Wonder May 1, 2010

I ain't trying to be a nag or hateful but. . . . . .

I question what goes threw this authors mind. But it isn't my buisness so I won't ask her. It makes me cry hearing about how some peoples lives are bruteled like that. And to think a girl like Cassie could be saved, if people would just. . . just care. Drugs are about the dumbest things in the world. It may 'take away' pain, but only during a certain time, and it only adds on to their hecktic lives. As far as the sex goes. . just don't. Poor Cassie thought bad of herself - true. And I understand why. But sex, again, adds on. I know her parents ain't no better than dirt, but I'd show um that they can't break me, I'll do good, and I'd grow up and get an awesome job, or be sucsessful in any good way possible! Then they'd see how stupid they are for acting no better than a drunk idiot. ( Forgive my language ) Besides, beer smells NASTY. My dad drinks it, but he don't abuse it no matter how stressed the man may be. People just gotta get through it without relying on something that they know will make it worse. Its up to them to at least attemped to make their lives better. Just sayin'. Take my words to consitteration.
Teen, 13 years old Written byGloryGirl April 4, 2010

Drugs are stupid. Why did grown-ups make them? And having sex at that age is not good at all!
Teen, 13 years old Written byRainforestGal March 13, 2010

Not another one!

Goody-goody, ANOTHER bad example of low self of steam. What makes people think drugs are so cool? They make you look, and act stupid! And why is it such a race to who looses there verginity faster? It makes you down right easy! If you get pregnat whatcha gonna do? It isn't somethin' to brag about! I don't think you should abort the baby cuz that would be murder. And she can't have a baby cuz oviously she can't even take care of herself! This is just giving kids ideas.