All member reviews for Because of Winn-Dixie

This poignant novel is one of the best around.

Teen, 13 years old Written byaddie2011 January 21, 2011
Adult Written byDexterSmith April 9, 2008

Superb novel with superb messages.

Because of Winn-Dixie tells the story of India Opal Buloni, a 10-year-old girl who moves to a new town and doesn't know anybody. She is teased by the kids at church, and she has no friends. But all of that changes one day, when she is sent to a local Winn-Dixie store and finds a stray dog running around. She, much to her father's dismay, adopts the dog, and names it Winn-Dixie after the store. Winn-Dixie helps Opal make plenty of friends in this small southern town. This is a fantastic book, but some of the content may be too much for kids. Opal's mother has abandoned her, and we learn that a little girl's brother drowned. Language consists of a few utterances of "hell". We learn that Gloria and Opal's mother were alcoholics (Gloria also has a "mistake tree" that has beer bottles hanging from it). However, the book has wonderful messages of tolerance and friendship. This is a great book for kids 8 and older.
Adult Written byirenew April 9, 2008

Beautifully written, moving story. A quick read.

This was a lovely story with a lot of well-written imagery that kids can understand. The story has some sad issues: a mother that has left and another minor characters brother has drowned, but I think the book deals with them in a manner that children can understand and empathize.The main character is a young girl who learns, through the loyalty of her dog, that life is full of surprises and we grow through our experiences. I read this story with my 7 year-old and we were able to talk about these issues together. The chapters are short and make for perfect "bedtime" reading.
Kid, 10 years old December 6, 2013

boo.

waen i was in 4 gread the thacher made us raed it.IT SUCKSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSZ!
Kid, 11 years old April 29, 2012

good

i think that the book is just fine and story is so sad. Opal is a new kid and she moved into town with the preacher (her father) she meets all kinds of people that have a story to tell. At the pet store a guy was in jail, Gloria Dump drank, And Mrs.Franny thought that Winn-Dixie was a bear. opal goes through hard times with her mother gone and the town opal finds that any one can be family.
Kid, 8 years old April 2, 2012

awesome

My teacher reads it to her class each year.
Kid, 10 years old January 2, 2012

j,j,j

Adult Written byCSM Screen Name... April 9, 2008

A must read!

Winn-Dixie is about a wonderful dog that does a lot of funny things. For example, if she smiles too big, she sneezes. I really like this story because its very exiting to read...I wanted to read and read and read.
Kid, 11 years old May 26, 2015

Beautiful story (:

This is one of my favorite novels! It has an amazing storyline. All ideas are very original. I haven't seen the movie adaption, but I plan too soon. There is two uses of "Hell" but it isn't really used in a offensive way. There is some name calling, like 'bald headed babies'. There is no drinking, but drinking comes up in one or two conversations. The story doesn't always use the correct grammar. The story has great role models, like Otis, Opal and Gloria.
Teen, 13 years old Written byEnvironment May 6, 2015

Good book

This is a good book for elementary students. It made me giggle. This is a book that kids could relate to, especially for frustration.
Kid, 11 years old March 2, 2015

REALLY GREAT BOOK!!!!!!!!:):)

I love dog books and I think this is the best I've read, it is a very meaning full book, I love it! I highly recommend it!!!! GREAT BOOK!!
Parent of a 4 and 6 year old Written bysarahughart February 7, 2013

Better for 8+

Has a good message about how to create happiness around you and love those around you. HELL is in the book. Mentions 'crime', drinking, a mother who abandoned a child and the death of a five year old child by drowning. My 6 year old struggled with some concepts in this book (the drinking, the abandonment, the small child dying) this is a book our school chose to read as a whole group, for one school one book. I think this was a little young for the kindergartners and first graders.
Kid, 11 years old January 23, 2013

Good Book

Some of my classmates and I read this book with our teacher in second grade (at the time we read at a 5th grade level) and I liked it.
Kid, 10 years old August 5, 2012

I just didn't like it.

I read this book because it got such good reviews, and I like some of Kate's other books. I was extremely disappointed. Maybe I just didn't like the writing in this one... The reason I chose language is because "retarded" is said a few times. Also, an old lady is describing a war to two girls, and she said "the war was hell". One of the girls then replies, saying "Hell is a cuss word!". I recommend The Tale of Desperaux over this. It's another book by the same author, and I enjoyed it. -Samantha (chocolatecake123)
Kid, 9 years old December 16, 2011

love this book

it was a really great book! my 3rd grade teacher read it to our class last year and we all loved it. it an amazing book and i bet you will just love it. it has some "hell" in it but i dont really think it will be that big of a problom
Kid, 11 years old December 3, 2011

don't miss it!! Any age read!!

I loved this book!! It was so cute!! I think it would bse fine for younger readers and older ones too. It is one of those books that any age can read without it getting boring!! don't miss it!! I would recommend it!!
Kid, 12 years old March 10, 2010

all time favorite book....

when i was 8 this was my all time favorite book!
Adult Written byTeacher3 December 10, 2009
As a teacher, I feel this book and movie have lots of important issues. In my classroom, year after year, it brings rich discussions on things like alcoholism, single aprent familes, loss and longing. My students LOVE this book and movie!
Teen, 13 years old Written byjt244577 November 24, 2015

Very Touching

This book is about a little girl and her adventures with a stray dog that she adopted.Abandoned by her mother years ago, Opal a 10-year-old girl, moves with her preacher father to a small town in Florida. Lonely and missing her old friends, Opal is ecstatic to find companionship with a wild little dog she names Winn-Dixie, after the store where she found the pup. With Winn-Dixie's help, Opal befriends several colorful townsfolk and even begins mending her relationship with her father.I can relate to her because I once had a dog that I really liked but I eventually had to let go and give him away.I really like this book and I would definetley recomend it for younger children.I would recommend it for readers who like stories that they can relate to.
Kid, 10 years old March 19, 2013