All member reviews for Because of Winn-Dixie

Teen, 13 years old Written byaddie2011 January 21, 2011

Kid, 10 years old January 2, 2012

j,j,j

Kid, 12 years old March 10, 2010

all time favorite book....

when i was 8 this was my all time favorite book!
Kid, 11 years old March 2, 2015

REALLY GREAT BOOK!!!!!!!!:):)

I love dog books and I think this is the best I've read, it is a a very meaning full book, I love it! I highly recommend it!!!! GREAT BOOK!!
Kid, 10 years old December 6, 2013

boo.

waen i was in 4 gread the thacher made us raed it.IT SUCKSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSZ!
Kid, 10 years old March 19, 2013

What?!

Violence?Thats violence?
Kid, 11 years old January 23, 2013

Good Book

Some of my classmates and I read this book with our teacher in second grade (at the time we read at a 5th grade level) and I liked it.
Teen, 17 years old Written byabbacus December 13, 2012

Really good!

Great story that kids will love.
Teen, 14 years old Written byprettypurpleluv November 12, 2012

Perfect Book for any age

I'm in my teen years & hands down this is an amazing book. I think anyone & everyone can read it. I read this story when I was about 10 & I still remember the book like the back of my hand. Hope you guys enjoy this book as much as I did :)
Kid, 8 years old August 22, 2012

Great book!

It is awesome. In second grade, my mom got this for me. I read it in a day, and it was a great book. Kate DiCamillo has a gift with books, really! Then I read The Magicians Elephant, another great book. In the beggining, Opal defends a stray dog, to protect him rather than let him starve to death. But there is a word, not a bad word, disrespectful phrase, "bald-headed babies". But Kate DiCamillo is trying to make it funny, without being super mean, and that is perfect. I reccomend this book for 7 and up because a 6 year old would never understand it. Enjoyable and funny, a great mix!
Kid, 10 years old August 5, 2012

I just didn't like it.

I read this book because it got such good reviews, and I like some of Kate's other books. I was extremely disappointed. Maybe I just didn't like the writing in this one... The reason I chose language is because "retarded" is said a few times. Also, an old lady is describing a war to two girls, and she said "the war was hell". One of the girls then replies, saying "Hell is a cuss word!". I recommend The Tale of Desperaux over this. It's another book by the same author, and I enjoyed it. -Samantha (chocolatecake123)
Kid, 11 years old April 29, 2012

good

i think that the book is just fine and story is so sad. Opal is a new kid and she moved into town with the preacher (her father) she meets all kinds of people that have a story to tell. At the pet store a guy was in jail, Gloria Dump drank, And Mrs.Franny thought that Winn-Dixie was a bear. opal goes through hard times with her mother gone and the town opal finds that any one can be family.
Kid, 8 years old April 2, 2012

awesome

My teacher reads it to her class each year.
Kid, 10 years old February 8, 2012

A good group read.

Lots of heavy material. My daughter did not understand the link between Winn Dixie and her new friends filling her life and making the abdonment of her mother not so painful. She prays for her mom. Great moment in the story. My daughter did not remember that part either. Parents should read along to assist in book report information.
Teen, 13 years old Written byChickable2 January 25, 2012

Winner dixie

It's good, although in my opinion it could use work.
Kid, 9 years old December 16, 2011

love this book

it was a really great book! my 3rd grade teacher read it to our class last year and we all loved it. it an amazing book and i bet you will just love it. it has some "hell" in it but i dont really think it will be that big of a problom
Kid, 11 years old December 3, 2011

don't miss it!! Any age read!!

I loved this book!! It was so cute!! I think it would bse fine for younger readers and older ones too. It is one of those books that any age can read without it getting boring!! don't miss it!! I would recommend it!!
Kid, 9 years old November 1, 2011

some language

theres an instant of H--L and R------d theres some drinking and mentions of going to jail
Teen, 16 years old Written byarmenia08 August 17, 2011

th coolest book i read this summer!

i like this book its a real good book i read it in the summer its cool!!!!
Teen, 16 years old Written byhamstergurl09 March 28, 2011

Quite Good

I like this book a lot. The characters are very likable and believable. However, I do think this book is quite over-hyped. That's not to say it is a bad story, but it is not one of the best books ever or the most poignant book ever or anything like that. I would definitely recommend it.