All member reviews for Because of Winn-Dixie

This poignant novel is one of the best around.

Adult Written byamosnmarie April 9, 2008

Another great Dog story

Its adorable most specially on audio!!
Teen, 13 years old Written byjt244577 November 24, 2015

Very Touching

This book is about a little girl and her adventures with a stray dog that she adopted.Abandoned by her mother years ago, Opal a 10-year-old girl, moves with her preacher father to a small town in Florida. Lonely and missing her old friends, Opal is ecstatic to find companionship with a wild little dog she names Winn-Dixie, after the store where she found the pup. With Winn-Dixie's help, Opal befriends several colorful townsfolk and even begins mending her relationship with her father.I can relate to her because I once had a dog that I really liked but I eventually had to let go and give him away.I really like this book and I would definetley recomend it for younger children.I would recommend it for readers who like stories that they can relate to.
Kid, 10 years old March 19, 2013

What?!

Violence?Thats violence?
Teen, 17 years old Written byabbacus December 13, 2012

Really good!

Great story that kids will love.
Teen, 14 years old Written byprettypurpleluv November 12, 2012

Perfect Book for any age

I'm in my teen years & hands down this is an amazing book. I think anyone & everyone can read it. I read this story when I was about 10 & I still remember the book like the back of my hand. Hope you guys enjoy this book as much as I did :)
Kid, 8 years old August 22, 2012

Great book!

It is awesome. In second grade, my mom got this for me. I read it in a day, and it was a great book. Kate DiCamillo has a gift with books, really! Then I read The Magicians Elephant, another great book. In the beggining, Opal defends a stray dog, to protect him rather than let him starve to death. But there is a word, not a bad word, disrespectful phrase, "bald-headed babies". But Kate DiCamillo is trying to make it funny, without being super mean, and that is perfect. I reccomend this book for 7 and up because a 6 year old would never understand it. Enjoyable and funny, a great mix!
Educator Written by1523931 May 23, 2012

You Should Read This Book!!!!

The book Because Of Winn- Dixie by Kate DiCamillo is a good book . I think if you read it you will like it because it tells you alot of details on how to respect and care for others. You may not like this story because if u don't like dogs then this is not a book for you. If you like dogs I am sure that Because Of Winn-Dixie is the right book for you to pick
Kid, 10 years old February 8, 2012

A good group read.

Lots of heavy material. My daughter did not understand the link between Winn Dixie and her new friends filling her life and making the abdonment of her mother not so painful. She prays for her mom. Great moment in the story. My daughter did not remember that part either. Parents should read along to assist in book report information.
Teen, 13 years old Written byChickable2 January 25, 2012

Winner dixie

It's good, although in my opinion it could use work.
Kid, 9 years old November 1, 2011

some language

theres an instant of H--L and R------d theres some drinking and mentions of going to jail
Teen, 16 years old Written byarmenia08 August 17, 2011

th coolest book i read this summer!

i like this book its a real good book i read it in the summer its cool!!!!
Teen, 16 years old Written byhamstergurl09 March 28, 2011

Quite Good

I like this book a lot. The characters are very likable and believable. However, I do think this book is quite over-hyped. That's not to say it is a bad story, but it is not one of the best books ever or the most poignant book ever or anything like that. I would definitely recommend it.
Kid, 11 years old January 25, 2011

For any age 8 and up

I loved the book "Because of Winn-Dixie". It is a amazing book, about this one girl who finds true friends that become family, and finds a amazing dog that changes her whole life. It really taught me a lot of things, like trust and friendship. It also may help you too.
Teen, 15 years old Written byMisty waterfall January 4, 2011

its a dog book

I LOVE DOG BOOKS. Give me a book with a dog in it and i will probaly read it.
Kid, 10 years old November 23, 2010

This Amazing book ....

This was an amazing book it tells the story of a girl by the name of Opal who has really no one to talk to but when Winn-Dixie comes into her life she starts to make friends and it was all because of Winn-Dixie.At the end of the book she says to her self she doesnt care about her mom as much as she did I loved that I will never forget Winn-Dixie and how good this book was .They say hell and retard and they do some things that might distribute others but if you 10+ you will love this book and it makes you think about life .
Parent of a 10 year old Written bytyrizzle October 28, 2010
I LOVE IT BUT THEY WONT LET PEOPLE READ THE BOOKS
Teen, 13 years old Written byAmericangirlforever August 23, 2010

Great book!

This book rocks I disagree with bubble bath its not poop. there is nothing wrong with it with all Defiantly recommend it 5 out of 5
Teen, 13 years old Written bynad0728 May 19, 2010

great for all age about 8.

i love it because it a very good book you should read it to your class one day!!
Kid, 11 years old May 15, 2010

Wonderful, Wonderful, book!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is a wonderful, good written, Book. I Recommend it to anyone. It is a very good story. Plus, the movie was very good to. I love this book. I'm sure many people after reading this book will think differently of the Winn Dixie stores
Adult Written byAshanti aka Queen April 19, 2010