All member reviews for Before I Fall

From suicide to bullying, every tough teen topic is present.

Kid, 12 years old October 15, 2010

AMAZING Book!! :D

I loved this book!!!!! It had a lot of sexual things and teen drinking in it. But I thought it had a great message about how bullying can really affect people in horrible ways. Kids who are 12 and older can understand that this is part of life. It kept me turning page after page! This si an awesome book!!!!!!!
Teen, 13 years old Written bySlipperyQ June 8, 2011

Fearless

This book is one I hold close to my heart, for sure. And there's a good, personal reason for that- there's one big part of this book people look over. Yes, it's a poignant stand against bullying. But since I was very, young, I have feared to die. At the begining of the book, so did Samantha. After her adventure, and finds her redemption in saving the life of Juliet Sykes, she dies. But her description of death doesn't scare me. In fact, it helps quell my fear. She says that people say you watch your whole life happen again before you die, but she sees only her greatest hits. She says that, "That's when I realized that time doesn't matter, because some moments go on forever. Even after they're over, even after you're dead and buried, those moments are lasting still, on and on, into infinity." She also says that dying is a "lifting feeling, like laughing." She treats death as a beautiful thing, as if you just spend the rest of forever reliving the best moments of your life. Even though it has big, whimsical chunks, it's that part of it that has stuck with me the most- because when I'm scared, it's comforting to think that maybe I can find the salvation that Oliver expresses at the end of her book.
Teen, 13 years old Written byKatherineLovesJake July 9, 2010

Loved It To Pieces

LOVE IT! i read this when i was 12. it does have a lot of sexual content, and i feel that once you turn 12 or 13 sex is not something to laugh at. girls mature quickly. i enjoyed this book and after reading it i felt more educated in what can really happen to you once you hit high school.and the launguage is nothing i havent heard or used before.its one of my fave books!
Educator and Parent Written bysuper_momy_4646 January 14, 2013

i think it is truely a amazing book it gives preteens a valuebul leason
Teen, 13 years old Written byAthena Keene May 6, 2011

Strongful and Soulful Meassages, Truth behind real life actions- why not great for 12+?

Hi everbody! I'm twelev and am doing a book report on this for school. Yes- i know what you're thinking. But to tell you the truth i don't think you can really place an age like fourteen on this. i mean sure, there the suggestion of sex, heavy drinking, and drugs; but to tell you the truth if your teen or kid ('casue im not a teen ((yet anyway)) knows the dangers and the hard truth reality about this stuff, the less likely they'll be the kids doing these things. It also depends on certain and independant kids maturity levels. im not the kid telling sick sad sex jokes on the bus for shock value. im the straight A student who knows the dangers of drinking and driving (or drinking in general), drugs, haveing early age sex, and i also know the love and caring everybody should deserve. I know that even the little off kid at school deserves kindness. Like my grandfather always used to say "...Remember, from the head of the company to the janitors- everybody deserves respect."
Parent of a 14 year old Written bywillowdust April 5, 2011

Parent of a 10, 12, and 18 year old Written byMDmomof3 October 6, 2012

Be aware

Just started this title and am pre-reading for my middle school daughter. Trying to find some titles she might enjoy to foster a love of reading for pleasure. First chapter the main character has plans to lose her virginity and is glad she is 2nd to last of her friends to do so. Wouldn't want to be the last one! I may continue reading to see where the storyline goes, but I won't be recommending to my daughter anytime soon. It's rated 9th grade and up on Amazon, but I don't agree that a 9th grader needs to be encouraged that racing to lose your virginity is an acceptable goal. Hopefully, in this groundhog day scenario, she will change how she feels about herself and it will have a redeeming ending, we'll see. Edit- finished the book and enjoyed the Main character's transformation as she worked her way to maturity in stages. Knowing that her actions have no lasting effects, she naturally goes crazy taking all the risks that, in life, a teen might be too afraid to attempt. She quickly learns that there is more to life than popularity and selfishness. During her life, her good choices and bad choices had a ripple effect on the people surrounding her. She learns to accept responsibility for all of it as her journey takes place. Overall, it has a good message to teens about what's REALLY important in life-friends, family, kindness,etc. As for the messages regarding sex, there is no redeeming message. She never really examines why she should or shouldn't have sex with someone even though she is being introspective about all the other decisions she has made. With the huge amount of emphasis made on this issue during her short life, I would like to have seen some internal dialogue about why she made her choice. Instead, on this one subject, she remains shallow.
Adult Written bybookpearls May 18, 2010

I fell for it

Love the story. Every mean girl should read it. After her death, Sam gets a chance to make changes to her life. To live it differently and see how things play out. It's blunt, it's raw, it's a realistic view of teen life. Very well written, orchestrated plot. Layers of life - past and present are analyzed and sometimes changed. It has sweet and rough points.
Adult Written byBeeturnier February 28, 2012

Simply amazing

I personally think this book was emphatically genius. I read it in three days. I seriously don't know why sex and language is an issue to parents; parents should know that their children are already exposed to such environment with sex and foul language at this age and that is just the reality of it ;and keeping them from reading this book it not gonna keep them away from it. But even there that's besides the story's whole point, this story puts forward an important matter which is bullying. This book can definitely change peoples perspective their social behavior.
Teen, 14 years old Written byk3ns3y:) October 26, 2011

Loved it! Perfect for teens!

I fell in love with this book!! Its definetly one of my favorites,i couldn't put it down! I finished the whole thing in 3 days. I think its appopriate for ages 14 and up. I read it when I was 13,and i think if your a mature 13 year old then its appropriate. Although it did have a lot of sexual references,the book wasn't completely based on that. It had a great message and I highly recommend it!:)
Teen, 16 years old Written byUsagimarie October 13, 2011

Best 17$ I ever spent

I really enjoyed this book. The reason i started reading it is because the character has the same name as mine, but it ended up being an amazing book. For me, it wasn't to sexual, mostly because the whole time she says sex=love and if you don't love someone you shouldn't, but how PRESSURED teenagers are into having it. These days, being a high school senior and still a virgin isn't as common as parents think. I think that it does a really good job of explaining that you can't just let your friends pressure you into if you really don't love that person.
Teen, 14 years old Written bybookee September 9, 2011

Inspiring to the point that it would make you realize how important life is. :)

When i first read this book, i was actually shocked because it really did had a lot of sexual and violent contents but somehow I realized that reading books like this is not about HOW OLD YOU ARE. It is about HOW MATURE YOU ARE. You cannot be innocent forever. I also appreciated how the main character changed. She made me realize how short life is and that we should make the most out of it. I just want to say that I don't remember anything about Sam having sex with anybody. She just almost did. I don't know if the one who made the review really read the book well :))
Teen, 13 years old Written bylivi195 July 12, 2011

AMAZING

I loved it, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone under 13 but its a great book, and Lauren Olivier's other book; Delirium, is one of my fave books!
Teen, 14 years old Written bybook_lover15 April 22, 2011

looooovvve it!

in life there are no second chances. so live your life the right way the first time because there's no going back. and i think that anyone who has read this book would tell u the same thing(;
Teen, 13 years old Written bycarlybeth323 April 5, 2011

All girl teenagers.

Sure, this book has swearing and brands but it just shows the reality of teen life today.
Kid, 12 years old March 9, 2011

high schoolers would love it... preteens, to intense

very good and deep
Teen, 15 years old Written byxxamandaxx13 March 7, 2011

Awesome book

In the beginning the messages are not very positive but as the novel progresses the messages become positive as well as the main character. The ending was very sad though
Teen, 14 years old Written byhey youu November 15, 2010

10/10

Amazing book overall, I would defenitly reccomend this to all female teens.
Teen, 14 years old Written byAbigirl September 20, 2010

About the real world

I loved this book....I am 14 now but read it when I was 13. I found that there was a lot of sexual things and drinking but it's a part of life and every teen age girl has to deal with it sooner or later. This book kept me reading and showed me how good life is and to live for the moment!
Teen, 13 years old Written byidgaf. August 31, 2010

Perfect for teens

I love this book. It makes you think about life more.