All member reviews for Between Shades of Gray

Harrowing, moving account of life in Stalin's labor camps.

Kid, 11 years old December 28, 2012

Best book ever!

When i first read this book, i wasn't sure about it. but then it really gets into to the girtty deatils about how horrifing it was for the Lithuanians in their time war, i liked this book because even though it was not a true sotry, i enjoyed how it mentioned the everything that went on. Because their are TONS of books on jewish peolpe. And no one really gives in to what happened to the Lithuanians. Their is some action, a lady is shot in the head. While her baby is thrown down a sewer pipe. Some of the action in the book might be disturbing. For me the book was a tearjercker. With great role modles and messages. Lina's mom stands up for her family. Another chartacer, Andrius stands up for lina and her brother, Jonas. But Language is a little issue for me, I Am not allowed to use words such as ''Bas***d'' or ''Wh***e'' so then i doubt any child would. Overall i love this book. I Think 12 and up is good age. Or if your child is mature enough to read it. This was very long so thanks!
Educator and Parent Written byCafeolemom August 1, 2012

Terrific historical fiction

Great read with a lot of historical detail about a little known subject. I teach 8th grade literacy and plan on using this for a unit study.
Kid, 12 years old November 5, 2013

A wonderful story that will go deep in your heart

This was a great piece of writing, and I loved it. But I think that it depends what your reading level is, and what language and material you're willing to read, because I will admit that this is a really harsh book, it deals with a lot of terrific matters, such as violence (mainly), harsh language, and more. So I do think it is a mature book, that some users and parents might find inappropriate and too mature for their kid. BUT, putting that aside, I have to say this is one of the best books I've read so far, it is a very emotional writing, and I enjoyed every single page of it. I personally love to read books like this, and I do read some books that are a bit more "advanced" than what my reading level should be for my age (and no, I don't mean that kind of advanced). So I my final thoughts on this book are that YES, it is a great book definitely worth reading, and it has a lot of educational meaning too, so if you think you can handle the content of the book, then definitely read it cause you will LOVE it.
Kid, 11 years old September 5, 2013

Cool Book, Kind of Depressing

Great book! I read it with my book club of mostly mature 11 year olds and 12 year olds. All of us could handle the violence, which was somewhat gory, but more of the thought of how cruel it was is what made it scary. Also, the book is divided in to thirds, and the first topic is "Thieves and Prostitutes" , which may have to be saved for mature tweens to read. Also, a guard who seems to be a pervert, touches the main character's breasts while she is in line for a bath. Some deaths made this story sad, as well as some other depressing elements, but the ending is happy. A must read for mature tweens who like historical fiction :)
Teen, 13 years old Written bylolucy January 15, 2013

.(:

I feel like this book was extremely well written and it tells a lot about what children in those times were going through. It was very violent and sad though. Some may even think it was a little inappropriate. But other that that, applause to the author.
Teen, 13 years old Written bysash99 November 19, 2012

Intense!

Violent, and SUPER SAD! But it is a GOOD READ!! It's a book that you have to be mature to read. I'm 13, and I loved it! But not all 12/13 year olds are the same. A must read if you think you can handle it! :)
Teen, 13 years old Written byKathryn O'Connell January 14, 2013

Great Book - Loved It

I'm a 13 year old and I absolutely adored this book. There's nothing really inappropriate in it, but it made me almost cry to read all of the stuff they do in this book. Even newborn babies are thrust into the madness of this book. I would recommend it for anyone interested in things like the Holocaust or struggles for survivals.
Teen, 13 years old Written bydanceforlife October 5, 2012

Great BOOK!

This book is very good, I HIGHLY RECOMMEND this book for students.This books makes you relize how Thankfull you should be for what you have.This book is very romantic yet,Sad.I like thiks book because when I began to read it I was very interested in seconds didn't stop reading 'till I got tierd.This book has short Chapters,and has 336 pgs. To be honest i learned a lot of russian in this book.Please read it,it is a PHENOMINAL BOOK.
Kid, 9 years old August 16, 2012

Worth reading

I think this is a really good book. Although some people may be upset easily by the storyline, I think this is good to read because then you know what happened in history.
Kid, 6 years old May 4, 2012

Between Shades of Gray Review 1

This was one of the best books that I think I've ever read. It teaches kids about the history and the horrors of the Holocaust. I loved it though. It kept me involved the whole time and I never wanted to put it down. It has short chapters so it's a pretty easy read. I loved this book and I highly recommend it to other kids as well!
Teen, 13 years old Written byBetty L. April 14, 2013

Awesome novel that gives great insight into a WW2 topic not so regularly written about!

BETWEEN SHADES OF GRAY is an awesome novel! I love gritty, well-written stories like these and I think it gives a great insight into the labor camps and the hardships so many people encountered. I did a review on this book with my friend for our school newspaper, and she and I both loved this great debut novel! You find yourself rooting for characters in the end of the book whom you hated in the beginning(a good writing skill). The protagonist, Lina, is realistic and intelligent-you will love her! This book will make you grateful for what you have after reading about some of the horrible things that were inflicted on the prisoners. I recommend this novel to all young teens! Awesome!!
Teen, 16 years old Written bykalie.loves.you97 March 10, 2013

Between Shades Of Gray

Teen, 13 years old Written byamewaalk October 23, 2012

Between Shades of Gray

Between Shades of Gray is one of the best books I've read! It's all about Lithuania during the Holocaust. I've never read a book on this part of the Holocaust so it was very informational & educational for me. I like how Lina has little flashbacks that help the story and I also love how much detail Ruta Sepetys uses. There are a few sexual references, but nothing that a 13 year old couldn't handle. There are also a couple instances were the NKVD smoke and swear but not much ;)
Kid, 11 years old October 15, 2012

BEST BOOK EVER. EVER.

this is the best book that i have ever read in my life. ever. really. now back to the review: positive role models/message: lina is always trying to save her family and get her (and her brother/mother/father) back home. violence: a lot!! but what can you expect, this is about the holocaust. sex: there isnt much but (as you probably read in the CSM review) a soldier touches lina. language: not much but things that are derragotory towards the prisoners. consumerisum: none. drinking and drugs: the soldiers drink and smoke.
Parent Written bypascalgrove May 29, 2012

Amazing Book - learn about history that few know

Teen, 14 years old Written bydaughterofhappiness April 12, 2012

Between Shades of Gray

This book is very good and got me into reading more books about World War 2. Most books on World War 2 focus on the Jews, Germans, Soviets, and Japanese-Americans, but this one focuses on Lithuanians, Estonians, Latvians, and Finns caught up in the mess, which is rather rare. This book contains sex talk, smoking, sickness, murder, death, and might be inappropriate if you're disturbed by scenes where this happens. Overall it's a very good story and also very interesting.
Teen, 17 years old Written byweb78lit January 7, 2015

Makes you think

The book goes to show that not everything is black and white and sometime it lies between shades of gray. This book make you think about the lesser known tragedies of the war. The characters are realistic and relatable. It does not sugar coat the more violent parts of the book, but the violence is not extreme. It's a sad book and the end is rather abrupt.
Teen, 13 years old Written byryliefarr August 8, 2014

Between Shades of Grey

This book is extremely graphic and gruesome and disgusting. It is a very great book and has a good message but I think it is more 14 and over. It talks about prostitution many times and it occurs often. Also the 10 year old boy smokes along with the 17 year old boy
Kid, 12 years old February 24, 2014

BEST BOOK EVER WRITTEN!

This book can go into more romantic themes sometimes, but it is an indepth book on how life was when the Germans came and when the Soviet Union was still in command. It is a pretty sad book. So if you are emotional it might be a better idea not to read it because there are parts where some people die quite cruelly, but there are parts where families are reunited and I think that is the best thing that I look for in a book. I think the author did an awesome job and I hope she writes more books like this one!
Kid, 12 years old March 29, 2013

Between Shades of Gray

This is a very good book overall, but the ending is just a tad bit unfulfilling for me. There are very graphic elements, including lots and lots of violence (even though this is very important in the educational standpoint), some sex-related stuff, a bit of inappropriate language, and a great deal of smoking, both by the protagonists and antagonists.