All member reviews for Big Nate: In a Class by Himself: Big Nate, Book 1

Milder than Wimpy Kid, and a sure hit with boys.

Parent of a 10 year old Written byBrettScott April 8, 2011

Cute with no positive messages

It is a bit funny, but very negative. Nate believes he is destined for greatness and everyone around him is an idiot - including his family, teachers and friends. About his father: "...Way to break it to me gently. Nice parenting. "..he's pretty harmless... It's just that Dad's kinda clueless. He has no idea what it's like to be me." Everyone around him gets the same treatment. Nate denigrates the smart, artistic, hard-working people around him. He has terrific self-esteem but always under achieves. He marvels at his good fortune - School Record Holder for Most Detentions. A happy ending.
Educator and Parent of a 10 year old Written bycorysmom January 6, 2011

funny read

I love the fact that it makes my son want to read.
Kid, 10 years old March 24, 2011

like wimpy kid

great! loved it and the second
Kid, 11 years old June 3, 2014

AMAZING

This book is great and is giving me a heads up what middle school is like. It is like a arcade game. Will you get a thousand? Nope 5. It is probably for 11 year olds going to middle school.
Teen, 13 years old Written bystan101 May 25, 2012

great book

loved it.
Kid, 11 years old October 28, 2011

big nate + a class by himself = forever alone

Wimpy Kid is a hit in realistic fiction sales, but why did so many desperate book publishers decide to decoy it? First came Dork Diaries, a natural disaster beyond natural disasters, now this? It's a great book, but it's thick on entertainment, but thin on actual plot. Some parts of the book are not amusing at all, and I wouldn't think kids would appeal much to a full-out lip lock performed by minor hallway students seen in the book. I believe that Big Nate wouldn't do well as a Wimpy Kid decoy, and especially after the second disaster, I don't think this series will go too far. Now anyways, about the book, you could buy it for kids, but give it a 2nd look, honestly.
Parent of a 17 year old Written byhulk1996 August 31, 2010

good

love it
Teen, 13 years old Written byIsaac T October 11, 2014

Funny but mild adventures of a middle schooler..

I loved this first book! Very little to worry about, besides a fair amount of name-calling (but no actual swear words.) Also, two 6th graders kiss in public.
Kid, 12 years old March 27, 2012

Big Nate: The Best

You should let all kids who don't like books and do like bools, read it. It's funny.
Kid, 8 years old October 22, 2011

big nate in a class by himself is a nice story

i think this book is interesting and i think its funny. i think it makes lol (laugh out loud) and fun to read iw ould like people to read this fun book.
Kid, 10 years old April 23, 2011

funnehhh

Cool,funny, & everything like that its like diary of a wimpy kid but a lil better 2ed book rocks also
Kid, 8 years old March 7, 2011

Good For Older Kids-Not for Little Kids

Funny Book..... Just like Dairy of A Wimpy kid! For Kids Above 8
Kid, 11 years old February 22, 2011

Alright

This book is fine. Not my favorite but i dont hate it either! Its very funny though
Kid, 11 years old January 16, 2011

An Overall Good Book

Similar to Diary Of A Wimpy Kid, except suitable for younger kids! Very funny and has nice illustrations too! :D
Kid, 12 years old October 22, 2010

perfect for kids

very hilarius, and gives u the great reading quality wimpy kid books give
Parent of a 9 year old Written byvillaswife July 6, 2010
i really enjoyed it
Kid, 11 years old December 27, 2015

What the heck, commonsense?

So. According to you this book is good for boys, but not girls? I am outraged!!!!
Parent of a 13 year old Written byvalerien October 1, 2015

Big Nate

I highly recommend this book.one of nates hobby is cartooning most of his cartoon people are the teachers in the book.one of nates best friends sticks though what Nate go's though in the book.but over all I highly suggest this book .
Adult Written byBrianna negrete14 September 3, 2015

Big nate

I think its about akid in a class by him self
Kid, 12 years old May 18, 2015

Fairly good

It is a book that will get children interested, even if they aren't into reading. The plot seems to always get Nate into trouble, and kids will think that it is a funny comic book.