All teen and kid member reviews for Breadcrumbs

Kid, 12 years old January 6, 2012

Ineptly named book is a fun retelling of The Snow Queen!

Breadcrumbs is essentially a retelling of The Snow Queen, and as such, is a fantasy adventure where the girl undertakes a fairly dangerous quest to rescue her best friend, the boy. However, Breadcrumbs (the book is badly named...there are no Hansel and Gretel references) is a modern day version of the story, and deals with issues that are more realistic. The first half of the book deals with Hazel's life. Her dad has left her, and she has trouble making her mom understand what is going on in her life. Since she is now living with just her mom, there is no money for her to continue going to the same school, and she has trouble fitting in at her new one. Her best friend, Jack, is a boy, and the other kids tease her. Hazel is a very creative girl and an avid reader, but none of her teachers appear to understand or appreciate her. Jack's mom has some problems...most likely depression. With her life as it stands, it is no wonder Hazel decides to rescue Jack when he gets kidnapped by the Snow Queen, even though Jack has changed and he knows their friendship will too. In the forest, there are scary red shoes that dance you to your death, good wolves, evil woodcutters, and more. Hazel is attacked by a woman, getting a nasty scar, when she takes a swan suit. This scene may be a bit disturbing to younger readers. Another adapted Snow Queen scene is tragic. There is a cottage in the woods maintained by an old couple who take in little girls, and, in desire to keep them forever, turn them into flowers. Overall, the story has a strong message of friendship. There are many Narnia references (one of the more obvious is when the Snow Queen takes Jack: she says "Would you like some Turkish delight?"), and those who have read Narnia will find the story more fun, and will take more out of it. Girls and boys should both enjoy the story, but boys may not enjoy reading about Hazel rescuing Jack as much as girls will.
Kid, 10 years old January 22, 2012

A good book, with positive messages.

Breadcrumbs is based on the fairytale The Snow Queen. It also has references from the Narnia series. I think it's good for kids 9 and up. It's about a girl, Hazel, who has trouble settling in at her school. Her best friend Jack starts acting meanly, because a piece of glass that makes you mean gets in his eye. She is told that a witch made of ice took him to the woods. Hazel goes out into the woods to try to find him, and goes through a dangerous adventure to get him back. Finally she finds Jack and takes him home. In this book Hazel becomes a good role model, and makes many hard decisions.
Teen, 14 years old Written bymda_dancer15 May 19, 2015

What I think

I think it's a very appropriate book for 10 year olds- 9 year olds could read it if they are in advanced reading or really understand the scenes and vocabulary. It has nice description and I like the pictures- they help understand what is going on in the book!
Teen, 14 years old Written bymda_dancer15 May 19, 2015

What I think

Teen, 13 years old Written byEnvironment May 6, 2015

Pretty Good

This is a great book for young children in around 4th grade. The writing style is lighthearted and fun, but can be drab.
Kid, 11 years old April 22, 2013

Pretty boring

I found it boring. I didn't quite understand the ending. There wasn't the adventure I though I would see.
Kid, 11 years old December 16, 2012

Breadcrumbs' Worthiness According to Kreckle

Breadcrumbs is a fairly nice book, though it mostly drags on for the first part. The real action doesen't take place until part 2, if I remember correctly. Hazel is a good role model but really, clingy. She mopes about Jack way too much and sometimes it does not feel as if she is moping about Jack but just being depressed in general. Her behavior makes the plot drag on, so keep waiting until the action implodes her mopiness... Regarding violence and scariness, some parts are rather creepy, but aren't very bad, unless you are very sensitive. It has great illustrations and some interesting stuff, but overall, it makes for quick, good entertainment. Some deep messages. Coolness.
Teen, 14 years old Written bytweetybird7233 November 13, 2012

Great

When I was bored I read this. It was great and Anne Ursu did a great job!
Kid, 10 years old June 25, 2012

Awesome book

This book is awesome! Anne Ursu uses detailed sentences and the illustrations in the book are amazing! Make sure to get it in hardcover it's worth the money. Enjoy!
Kid, 10 years old February 24, 2012

Retelling of the snow queen is marvelous!

Breadcrumbs is a beautiful book, filled with heart, friendship, and determination. The main character, Hazel, is kind and caring for her friend Jack, and is very kind to (almost) everyone she meets in the woods. There is one scene that some kids may find upsetting or scary, when Hazel gets badly wounded because of an evil witch scratching her on the face with her claws. Also, it deals briefly about anger because Hazel throws a pencil case at a boy who insults her and later, has to see the school counselor. Overall, Breadcrumbs is a great book that I recommend to you.