All member reviews for Breaking Dawn: The Twilight Saga, Book 4

Last book of supernatural soap saga is slightly more mature.

Kid, 11 years old March 27, 2011

If your mature it's fine

Okay, everyone says that this book is like, "Super inappropriate" or something, but it's really not. I'm 11 and I've read it and they don't go into detail with, you know. But there is a very bloody violent scene in which Bella gives birth to a vampire baby. I would still say a mature 11 year old could read it.
Teen, 15 years old Written byLoveMegCabot February 13, 2011

This book isnt bad. Honestly my parents dont know what I read so........ Yeah : D

..........................All the reviewers are 12 O_e I personally dont like the Twilight series. Its VERY poorly written. The last book revolves around Bella and her want for sex. Jacob and his need to have sex with Bellas newborn. Edwards controling,as usual. And around 200 pages of it is them talking about a war. Another 100 is about a war that doesnt happen. And about 300 describing how sexy Edward is. I bet most younger kids wouldnt even understand what was going on. I hardly did : /
Adult Written byDMS222 October 3, 2009

Bella a poor role model.

I've read all four books in this series. Stephenie Meyer, get thee to an editor! This is just plain bad writing. The sentence and paragraph structure is chop-suey, descriptive narrative non-existent. I don't like Bella. She is a whiny, mean-spirited, and has a death wish. On her first day in schoool, Eric offers to help her find her next class, and she says he's over-helpful, compares Mike to a golden retriever. Edward has all the warning flags of being an abuser. Girls, if a boy sneaks into your room to watch you sleep, commands all your time, isolates you from others, physically restrains you, run-fast-in the other direction. That is not love.
Kid, 11 years old April 7, 2011

BELLA IS NOT A ROLE MODEL WHAT DON'T YOU UNDERSTAND!

Dear Twilight fans, Read a good book you know one day.This book is some misguided interpretation of true love.Listen twitards this is not true.True love does not include several pedophiles and an abusive vampire boyfriend.HERE READ A GOOD BOOK
Kid, 12 years old June 24, 2011

A boy is ALL you need. THIS BOOK IS A PAPERWEIGHT!

Bella marries Edward and gets preganet with his kid. the kid breaks her bones and almost ends up killing her. It turns out that (whopdeedoo) Bella is great at everything and they live happily ever after.... almost. Except then the voultri try to kill them all and Bella scares them off. And Bella finds out that immorality solves everyones problems. The up side? A lot of the book is narrated by Jacob Black, the teenage werewolf and Bella's best friend. Why don't I intruduce you to a new BOOK called Harry Potter?
Educator and Parent of a 9, 12, 14, and 22 year old Written bySunniemom March 21, 2011

Save the trees!

Bella, who gets everything she wants, still hates her life and complains incessantly. She gets to marry Edward and have s-e-x. Her husband is rich and will buy South America for her if she asks. They have an amazingly wonderful baby. Then she becomes a vampire and is stunningly beautiful and powerful. Then there is a battle between a bubble and some fog. A teenage boy with no education, job, or future falls in love with an infant. The End. Don't read this drivel, even if your kids are reluctant readers. Just as it's better for a kid to eat a PB&J than pork rinds soaked in vodka, it's better for them to read the back of a cereal box than read Breaking Dawn.
Parent of a 9 and 12 year old Written byVamp-mom14 November 15, 2010

Please read this. :)

I really loved this book. I am 36 with a 9 year old and a 12 year old.I believe that this book was the best of the series! Parents, please believe me when I say that this book has almost no dramatic sex scenes, and that Breaking Dawn is appropriate for kids 11+. Other than Bella waking up in the morning on Isle Esme with a few bruises -that go away in a few days- there is no overwhelming sex. The birth scene is reasonably graphic but, nothing really to worry about. let me explain to parents that the scene with the sex is that, Bella goes outside to see Edward in the water nude -no descriptions- and goes in too... then, it cuts off and there is the start of the next chapter. If you do not believe that this is true, than you should read that part for yourself. WARNING: Make sure that you have given your child "THE TALK" before you let them read this book. That way, they will understand the meaning of "fetus" which is the term that the Cullens use to describe the baby before it is born. Thank you sooo much for reading this and I hope that you listen to my advise of 11+. :)
Adult Written byalicepeacock April 19, 2010

Wouldn't put myself through the horror of reading it again.

This book is an awful end to what could have been a good series :/ Where do I start? The role models produced are ones that show perfection in looks to be of utmost importance in a relationship and the main male character shows signs of domestic abuse, whilst the female character Bella is pathetic, not showing a great attitude to social situations or her own family- in short, a whiny unappreciative teenage. Another niggle with this book is the unnecessary graphic birth scene. If you haven't the guts to write about sex, shouldn't this too be off limits? It made me feel uncomfortable and sick! Not a book I'd read again. Too long, too rambling, reads like badly written fan fiction.
Kid, 10 years old April 25, 2011

very bad

I HATE IT! Very gross. Most parts are very bad and show bad things in a good light.
Adult Written byashleyazoo April 25, 2010

If your kid has a brain (and can use it), let them read it

First of all -- If you are older than 15 you should have the common sense not to read this garbage. All this book really is is an outlet for tweens (generally girls) to live out their fantasies of having a supernatural, ultra-protective prince in shining armor vampire boyfriend(turned husband). So obviously the idea of letting a parent reading it first is simply preposterous(can anyone say awkward?). While the story in general isn't anything close to real literature, if the kid knows that having a vampire lover is nothing like its stated in the books -- they should be fine. CAUTION: The series is like a drug, somewhat addictive due to its (somewhat) suspenseful moments. I say if your kid actually believes that this could happen to them -- dont let them out of the house.
Parent of a 2, 4, 7, and 11 year old Written byMountaintop_Grandma December 23, 2009

parent / child discussions are neccessary

Yes there is violence, Yes there is sexual activity after marriage. My granddaughter has read the entire series twice during the summer. I also read the series. Yes, there were questions. But isn't that what parents and grandparents are supposed to do? Prepare our kids for for the realities of life and help them to determine the difference between reality, fiction and what is and is not acceptable.
Parent of a 2, 3, and 7 year old Written bycaspian October 18, 2009

I love this book for myself! I am a 29 year old mother to a 7 year old girl. Her friends talk about it but she knows she will not be reading it till she is 14 or so. The birth scene is very graphic and Edward and Bella's relationship is too mature for tweens.
Teen, 15 years old Written bylali123 January 1, 2012

Issues

I totally disagree with anyone who has even IMPLIED that the birth scene is too gory, etc etc. Apart from some of the occurences during the honeymoon, I feel that the book is great. It's my second favorite after Twilight. Edward has abondoned his macho act and appears to be more sympathetic towards Bella and her desires. Some might see the abortion message as an issue. However, I beleive that Bella did the right thing because you cant kill a living thing! that would be immoral and unhumane! the anti-abortion message is actually a positive one and I totally agree with it.
Teen, 15 years old Written byallthatglitter November 22, 2011

Appropriate for Middle School

Breaking Dawn is an appropriate book for any child middle school and up. By the time a child reaches 6th grade most children know about sex and foul language. This book is nothing more than things they would see on television, or hear other kids talk about in school. This book also teaches abstinence because Edward and Bella do not have sex until they are married and pro life because though the baby is killing her, Rosalie convinces Bella to keep the baby because it is a living being from the moment of conception.
Adult Written bystephieb87 October 7, 2011

grrrr

Ok if you even bothered to read the books you would know Jacob DID NOT fall in love with an infant what happened was called imprinting there is a large difference more than a little strange but you people are acting like she is portraying him as a pedophile. you should probably read the books... Bella did not quit school actually there was a party thrown for her graduating.The books were meant for older teens to adults. If your letting your children read them that's your fault and not the fault of the writers. It's one thing if you just didn't like the books ok understandable but it seems like some people are twisting things around for them to better suit their meaning and to make some of their negative comments make more sense. Sorry so long no disrespect intended thanks for your time.
Kid, 11 years old September 24, 2011

ITS FINE!!!!

I have read the entire twilight series and there is nothing super inappropriate in any of the books. Parents just prejudge the book because it is a vampire romance novel. There is one bloody birthscene that kids shouldn't read if they are very sensitive. (just that part not the whole book.) They do have sex but not until they are married and the author doesn't go into detail about their honeymoon. This book is fine for a mature 11 year old.
Parent of a 2 and 9 year old Written byKidsAndMommy September 2, 2011

Teen, 13 years old Written byBookWorm07 August 11, 2011

Good Book

I read this book when I was 10 and it wasn't that bad, you should be more mature to read it though. If you think that some pages in the book are to intense then just skip them. This was a good book :)
Adult Written byhelenmirrenrox May 26, 2011

Age 15

Teen, 13 years old Written byVamprincez March 23, 2011

Age

haha, I read this when I was 10... my parents don't check what I read but I bet they probably would have thought 3 times about this.