All member reviews for Breaking Dawn: The Twilight Saga, Book 4

Last book of supernatural soap saga is slightly more mature.

Teen, 15 years old Written byLoveMegCabot February 13, 2011

This book isnt bad. Honestly my parents dont know what I read so........ Yeah : D

..........................All the reviewers are 12 O_e I personally dont like the Twilight series. Its VERY poorly written. The last book revolves around Bella and her want for sex. Jacob and his need to have sex with Bellas newborn. Edwards controling,as usual. And around 200 pages of it is them talking about a war. Another 100 is about a war that doesnt happen. And about 300 describing how sexy Edward is. I bet most younger kids wouldnt even understand what was going on. I hardly did : /
Kid, 11 years old March 27, 2011

If your mature it's fine

Okay, everyone says that this book is like, "Super inappropriate" or something, but it's really not. I'm 11 and I've read it and they don't go into detail with, you know. But there is a very bloody violent scene in which Bella gives birth to a vampire baby. I would still say a mature 11 year old could read it.
Adult Written byDMS222 October 3, 2009

Bella a poor role model.

I've read all four books in this series. Stephenie Meyer, get thee to an editor! This is just plain bad writing. The sentence and paragraph structure is chop-suey, descriptive narrative non-existent. I don't like Bella. She is a whiny, mean-spirited, and has a death wish. On her first day in schoool, Eric offers to help her find her next class, and she says he's over-helpful, compares Mike to a golden retriever. Edward has all the warning flags of being an abuser. Girls, if a boy sneaks into your room to watch you sleep, commands all your time, isolates you from others, physically restrains you, run-fast-in the other direction. That is not love.
Teen, 13 years old Written bywhitehorse13 September 1, 2011

Teen Book with adult moments

Breaking Dawn is a great conclusion to the Twilight series. I couldn't put the book down! There are some inappropriate moments between Edward and Bella. She gets married and has a baby at 18 which is a mature subject for kids. I would definitely recommend it!
Teen, 15 years old Written byTheSuperman765 April 16, 2011

i love the twilight series

this series is enormously popular with teen and older tween girls. The main characters -- Bella, 18, mortal, and Edward, vampire -- have sex after they're married. Little is described in detail except that broken furniture and bruises are found on the next day (thanks to vampire super-strength). The goriest part of the book is a supernatural birth scene with lots and lots of blood, cracking bones, and near death. Vampires spend half the book fearing for their lives and the lives of family and friends.
Kid, 12 years old February 11, 2011

Review from a teenager's point-of-view

Well, I read it with my parent's permission. I loved the overall plot, was a little long and didn't really need a few descriptions. a few steamy sex scenes throughout the book however, if your child is relatively mature i think it would be okay. A little bit of overall money use and some violent fighting scenes as well references to previous violence and a few descriptive instances where pain was thoroughly described as well as a bloody laborious birth scene.
Teen, 15 years old Written byallthatglitter November 22, 2011

Appropriate for Middle School

Breaking Dawn is an appropriate book for any child middle school and up. By the time a child reaches 6th grade most children know about sex and foul language. This book is nothing more than things they would see on television, or hear other kids talk about in school. This book also teaches abstinence because Edward and Bella do not have sex until they are married and pro life because though the baby is killing her, Rosalie convinces Bella to keep the baby because it is a living being from the moment of conception.
Teen, 15 years old Written bylali123 January 1, 2012

Issues

I totally disagree with anyone who has even IMPLIED that the birth scene is too gory, etc etc. Apart from some of the occurences during the honeymoon, I feel that the book is great. It's my second favorite after Twilight. Edward has abondoned his macho act and appears to be more sympathetic towards Bella and her desires. Some might see the abortion message as an issue. However, I beleive that Bella did the right thing because you cant kill a living thing! that would be immoral and unhumane! the anti-abortion message is actually a positive one and I totally agree with it.
Teen, 14 years old Written byMileyBB January 6, 2009

WOW ....I REALLY WANT TO !

Please somebody answer this question ..do you think it is appropriate for my daughter ? She's 11 and she kind of knows all about sex surprisingly but would it be okay for her ? I'm almost positive it would be but I think I should get some other people's opinion. Thanks I hope that you can be a big help..Please respond !
Kid, 11 years old September 24, 2011

ITS FINE!!!!

I have read the entire twilight series and there is nothing super inappropriate in any of the books. Parents just prejudge the book because it is a vampire romance novel. There is one bloody birthscene that kids shouldn't read if they are very sensitive. (just that part not the whole book.) They do have sex but not until they are married and the author doesn't go into detail about their honeymoon. This book is fine for a mature 11 year old.
Kid, 12 years old January 28, 2011

Good book but...

I loved it but there was alot of sex and in my opinoin it's a tad bit creepy how Jacob falls in love with Bella's new born daught... pedophilia, mabey? Well, that's for you to decide... Also all the talk of death and the fighting...
Adult Written byalicepeacock April 19, 2010

Wouldn't put myself through the horror of reading it again.

This book is an awful end to what could have been a good series :/ Where do I start? The role models produced are ones that show perfection in looks to be of utmost importance in a relationship and the main male character shows signs of domestic abuse, whilst the female character Bella is pathetic, not showing a great attitude to social situations or her own family- in short, a whiny unappreciative teenage. Another niggle with this book is the unnecessary graphic birth scene. If you haven't the guts to write about sex, shouldn't this too be off limits? It made me feel uncomfortable and sick! Not a book I'd read again. Too long, too rambling, reads like badly written fan fiction.
Parent of a 9 and 12 year old Written byVamp-mom14 November 15, 2010

Please read this. :)

I really loved this book. I am 36 with a 9 year old and a 12 year old.I believe that this book was the best of the series! Parents, please believe me when I say that this book has almost no dramatic sex scenes, and that Breaking Dawn is appropriate for kids 11+. Other than Bella waking up in the morning on Isle Esme with a few bruises -that go away in a few days- there is no overwhelming sex. The birth scene is reasonably graphic but, nothing really to worry about. let me explain to parents that the scene with the sex is that, Bella goes outside to see Edward in the water nude -no descriptions- and goes in too... then, it cuts off and there is the start of the next chapter. If you do not believe that this is true, than you should read that part for yourself. WARNING: Make sure that you have given your child "THE TALK" before you let them read this book. That way, they will understand the meaning of "fetus" which is the term that the Cullens use to describe the baby before it is born. Thank you sooo much for reading this and I hope that you listen to my advise of 11+. :)
Adult Written byashleyazoo April 25, 2010

If your kid has a brain (and can use it), let them read it

First of all -- If you are older than 15 you should have the common sense not to read this garbage. All this book really is is an outlet for tweens (generally girls) to live out their fantasies of having a supernatural, ultra-protective prince in shining armor vampire boyfriend(turned husband). So obviously the idea of letting a parent reading it first is simply preposterous(can anyone say awkward?). While the story in general isn't anything close to real literature, if the kid knows that having a vampire lover is nothing like its stated in the books -- they should be fine. CAUTION: The series is like a drug, somewhat addictive due to its (somewhat) suspenseful moments. I say if your kid actually believes that this could happen to them -- dont let them out of the house.
Kid, 12 years old November 5, 2013

I say…...

I say its not that bad. Everything depends on individual maturity. There is sex but its postmatrial. There is a war in question. A very violent birth and jacob imprints on an infant(STALKER). If you have a brain 10-11 if you don't 14 or later.
Educator and Parent of a 9, 12, 14, and 18+ year old Written bySunniemom March 21, 2011

Save the trees!

Bella, who gets everything she wants, still hates her life and complains incessantly. She gets to marry Edward and have s-e-x. Her husband is rich and will buy South America for her if she asks. They have an amazingly wonderful baby. Then she becomes a vampire and is stunningly beautiful and powerful. Then there is a battle between a bubble and some fog. A teenage boy with no education, job, or future falls in love with an infant. The End. Don't read this drivel, even if your kids are reluctant readers. Just as it's better for a kid to eat a PB&J than pork rinds soaked in vodka, it's better for them to read the back of a cereal box than read Breaking Dawn.
Kid, 10 years old April 25, 2011

very bad

I HATE IT! Very gross. Most parts are very bad and show bad things in a good light.
Teen, 13 years old Written byVamprincez March 23, 2011

Age

haha, I read this when I was 10... my parents don't check what I read but I bet they probably would have thought 3 times about this.
Teen, 13 years old Written bySiennaBellaRose January 3, 2009

Bella is awesome, better than Harry Potter, Artemis Fowl, Maximum Ride, Matithias, and Nathaniel all together

The best book you will read for a while. I think it was a long shot to talk about what she did in a tween book but it is still an amazing book. Any mature person could read it.
Kid, 11 years old April 17, 2012

Best one

Ya, there is sex, not described, birth scene is..... Disturbing, great book though, (spoiler) when Bella turns into a vampire, it was awesome, usually that would have ruined it for me, but she was better as a vampire, I liked her better