All member reviews for Breaking Dawn: The Twilight Saga, Book 4

Last book of supernatural soap saga is slightly more mature.

Adult Written byDMS222 October 3, 2009

Bella a poor role model.

I've read all four books in this series. Stephenie Meyer, get thee to an editor! This is just plain bad writing. The sentence and paragraph structure is chop-suey, descriptive narrative non-existent. I don't like Bella. She is a whiny, mean-spirited, and has a death wish. On her first day in schoool, Eric offers to help her find her next class, and she says he's over-helpful, compares Mike to a golden retriever. Edward has all the warning flags of being an abuser. Girls, if a boy sneaks into your room to watch you sleep, commands all your time, isolates you from others, physically restrains you, run-fast-in the other direction. That is not love.
Kid, 11 years old March 27, 2011

If your mature it's fine

Okay, everyone says that this book is like, "Super inappropriate" or something, but it's really not. I'm 11 and I've read it and they don't go into detail with, you know. But there is a very bloody violent scene in which Bella gives birth to a vampire baby. I would still say a mature 11 year old could read it.
Teen, 15 years old Written byLoveMegCabot February 13, 2011

This book isnt bad. Honestly my parents dont know what I read so........ Yeah : D

..........................All the reviewers are 12 O_e I personally dont like the Twilight series. Its VERY poorly written. The last book revolves around Bella and her want for sex. Jacob and his need to have sex with Bellas newborn. Edwards controling,as usual. And around 200 pages of it is them talking about a war. Another 100 is about a war that doesnt happen. And about 300 describing how sexy Edward is. I bet most younger kids wouldnt even understand what was going on. I hardly did : /
Adult Written byNeyer November 15, 2010

This is what usually follows eating ...

If you don't know where I'm going with that let me give you a hint: you have to sit down to do it. I found nothing positive about any of these books or the movies. Product placement runs rampant throughout the entire series and the basis of the relationship between Bella and Edward is stalking, moping, depression and attempted suicide. This book isn't for anyone under fifteen and anyone over fifteen should be smart enough to veer far away. The prose in this book is on a third-grade level and, what's worse, the author based it off of a fantasy she had with her and a seventeen-year-old boy. It's terrifyingly one-dimensional characters are not only idiotic, but, if they were in a horror film, would all be dead just before page one ended. Unfortunately they all survive, Bella and Edward have a child who, regrettably, is named Renesmee and is doomed to be tormented for her unfortunate name for the rest of her life, and Jacob falls in love with said infant, which is just disgusting. I don't know what possessed the author to write this garbage but one thing's for sure: she needs an exorcist before anymore green vomit explodes from her throat! Not only that, but even the fact that there's mentioned sex in this book makes it inappropriate for anyone below fifteen. The only good thing, though, is that it's so poorly written I had a hard time realizing what was happening until I went back and read it a few more times. Poorly educated readers might find this a joy to read simply because it's probably the only thing they've ever read. Here's a tip: pick up any other book. Any one. Half of the people who've read this and think it's a work of art don't know Anne Rice, Mercedes Lackey or even J.D. Salinger. Educate yourselves, people. Don't waste your time on this drivel.
Teen, 13 years old Written bycocobean16 July 22, 2009

Some things to know: 1. Bella and Edward get married right out of high school. 2. Edwards family has an ISLAND. 3. When things are broken, Edward doesn't care at all. 4. S*x is mentioned alot in the book. 5. All Bella thinks about is having s*x with Edward. 6. Bella has an unexpected pregnancy. 7. Bella almost dies(again). 8. Bella becomes a vampire. 9. Bella has some weird baby(half human half vampire-strange). 10. Bella acts drunk when thinking of names for the weird baby(ex:EJ(Edward Jacob), and Renesme). 11. Unrealistic(The baby talking at a week old;growing rate;baby's weird power). 12. Bella's dress tears way up her thigh, while hunting. 13. Rare vampire "powers" become very common. 14. Bella has many powers, because she has to, or else the book wont be interesting(uh huh...ya right!). 15. Vampire "powers" adapt from reading minds, and seeing decisions, into superhero powers, which makes the whole story seem more like a comic book. 16. Bella forges papers. 17. Bella isnt very smart (ex: Bella doesnt think that after she had s*x with Edward that she might be pregnant, and alittle bit sooner, due to the fact that Edward is a VAMPIRE! 18. Bella doesn't follow through with the whole "newborn vampire horrible first year". 19. Bella's life is perfect(impossible!) 20. Everything that Bella does turns out positive for her team in the end(ya right!).
Adult Written bytournhtid July 18, 2009

Good for adults and 16+

The twilight saga is meant for a adults and late teens. The fan base is way to young. I believe this book and the others can negatively effect young girls. Bella is helpless and hopeless with out edward. She quits school, doesnt go to college to be with him. She also get married and pregnant at 18. This makes here out to be a damsel in distress and is anti- feminism. Worst of all this protrayal of a weak female obsessed by love is treated as to be perfectly fine by the writer rather then unhealthy as it is. Bella and Edward have violent and rough "relations". "Relations" are protrayed many times in this book. After one time she is left bitten, bruised, and scratched by edward. Bella, of course, gets pregnant with a supernatural baby of some sort, which steals away all of her strenght and life as it grows. The birth of the child is highly gory, with blood breaking bones, and a near death. There is also nudity in this book. My 12 year old sister will have to wait to read this one.
Teen, 17 years old Written byalial23 March 25, 2011

If your sensitive may not be for you, if not great read =]

I read this book when I was younger, so my review of it now might be a little off for some... I personally loved the saga. I was emerged each in every page, in fact it was such a page turner for me i read the 700 pg book in one day! There was a bit of intimacy but nothing major.. Stephanie did not go into grave detail about the honeymoon, in fact Bella forgot what happened and only bruises reminded her of what happened. As a parent this may be enough to tell the teen, no don't read it, but to me it wasn't really serious. As far as the birth.. that was a bit intense and some can even say gore(if your that sensitive) but nothing someone 14 or older can't handle =]
Kid, 10 years old April 25, 2011

very bad

I HATE IT! Very gross. Most parts are very bad and show bad things in a good light.
Kid, 11 years old April 7, 2011

BELLA IS NOT A ROLE MODEL WHAT DON'T YOU UNDERSTAND!

Dear Twilight fans, Read a good book you know one day.This book is some misguided interpretation of true love.Listen twitards this is not true.True love does not include several pedophiles and an abusive vampire boyfriend.HERE READ A GOOD BOOK
Teen, 13 years old Written byNoseStuckInABook April 14, 2010

Worst one yet - and that's saying something!

Not only does Bella get pregnant as a teenager and have an incredibly gory birth scene (very disgusting), but her best friend falls in love with her baby. I wouldn't even want my younger sisters reading this. To learn about how Twilight is anti-feminist, google "amplify your voice feminism doesn't sparkle".
Educator and Parent of a 9, 12, 14, and 22 year old Written bySunniemom March 21, 2011

Save the trees!

Bella, who gets everything she wants, still hates her life and complains incessantly. She gets to marry Edward and have s-e-x. Her husband is rich and will buy South America for her if she asks. They have an amazingly wonderful baby. Then she becomes a vampire and is stunningly beautiful and powerful. Then there is a battle between a bubble and some fog. A teenage boy with no education, job, or future falls in love with an infant. The End. Don't read this drivel, even if your kids are reluctant readers. Just as it's better for a kid to eat a PB&J than pork rinds soaked in vodka, it's better for them to read the back of a cereal box than read Breaking Dawn.
Adult Written bystacymcpherson August 21, 2009

The main problem that I had with this whole series is that Bella is too dependent on Edward, for everything. She feels that she can't live with out him. This is not the kind of girl I want my 14 year old daughter to model her dating life after. There is no balance between Bella and Edward. The begining of this book was completely inappropriate for the age group this was written for. If you are going to let your teen read these, please as a parent, read them yourself. Keep an open discussion going regarding the unhealthy relationship between Edward and Bella.
Kid, 11 years old May 3, 2010

not good at all not even ok for adults

HORRIBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
Teen, 13 years old Written bymapgirl513 August 7, 2009

Horrible Book! Don't Read

This book is really gross and it sends out bad messages. Bella gets married to a vampire at age 18. It's pretty ridiculous. Then he breaks her dawn if you catch my drift. Also she gets pregnant which encourages unprotected sex. This is a very bad book. Don't read it!
Teen, 13 years old Written bybarnbumgabs4 May 14, 2010

Great but some iffy parts

Really Good Book!!! Ther r a couple of chapters in the begining of the book. It has some "intense scenes between edward and bella. but i was 11 when i read it and i knew all the things in the book so let ur kids read it.
Parent of a 6 and 10 year old Written byapplezz13 March 10, 2010

A great read for the mature, but do you really want THIS book to be the introduction and role model of romantic love for tweens?

It was a great book (but I am 41!!) Not Hemingway by any means, but a good page turner with likable characters. Sort of like the chocolate of books - enjoyable and tasty but serving no nutritional purpose! Completely a great read for older teens and adults. However, I WILL NOT let my daughters read it until they are at LEAST 16. There are so many underlying messages sent in the book that make for a good read for adults, but should NOT be an introduction to "fiction about love relationships" for an immature mind. They should be viewed by an older mind that is able to discern between fiction and reality and what in the book is OK for a fictional character and what is SOO NOT OK to use or imitate during life. I honestly don't think ALL kids under 16 have the knowledge or skills to discern the subtle difference in places.
Teen, 13 years old Written bygreenkazoo123 February 13, 2011

Pointless

I do not like the Twilight Saga. I read them because my friends wanted me to. I thought this one was the 2nd worst, right next to New Moon. First they got married and had sex.Then they had a baby. Then the story was just forced to keep going because of a big war, which never even happened, although the book spend a good 400 pages talking about it. After that, it finally ended and they all live happily ever after.
Adult Written byEissen February 24, 2010

Again with the Necrophilia.. oh, and add some Bestiality and weird Child/Adult relationships (or 'imprinting') in there too.

First of all, there is this bloody birth scene which is just so disgustingly horrific. Then add in the sex scene in which someone ends up badly bruised and with mangled furniture... There's also the werewolf weirdo relationships with extremely young children. It is just bizarre. Neither Edward nor Bella NOR their relationship is a good role model for a future relationship for kids/tweens/teens because they're both willing to drip EVERYTHING for each other. That's not healthy. In comparison to Harry Potter, where friendship and family are the main concepts, The Twilight Saga is all about the importance of having a boyfriend and how you can't live without it. Bella would rather DIE than be without her boyfriend. Does that SOUND like it's "educational", has "good role models" or "positive messages"? The writing quality is satisfactory, but the words behind the prose are hideous. As a nineteen yr old girl, I'm confused as to why you'd pick teams based on who you want an insecure 17 year old girl to end up with romantically. Team Edward or Team Necrophilia? Team Jacob or Team Bestiality? Unless you're mature enough to see the downsides of this supernatural romance, this book and saga should not be read by your children, especially anyone 15 or younger.
Teen, 13 years old Written byShadowWolf January 18, 2011

If you arent mature, just put it down.

When i picked this book up, i was looking for a good laugh, a book similar to the first one were stephenie myers dosent overdo the romance factor, and even includes some subtle humor. What i got instead was a slap in the face and bella having a baby! with the whole baby thing, they gave way to much info! if you liked any of the previous books, DO NOT READ THIS ONE!!
Teen, 16 years old Written byTheGirlWithABlueHat September 6, 2010

Amazing for mature teens!

Loved It. This is a fabulous book for teens. Though some parents might believe its too "out there." I disagree. Most definetly the best book of the series.