All parent member reviews for Breaking Dawn: The Twilight Saga, Book 4

Parent of a 4, 6, 9, 10, 12, and 15 year old Written byNerdy_Mamma January 3, 2010

Parent Written bymel342 December 31, 2009

Perfect for older kids, but not for tweens

I liked the whole series but i'd say they are for more mature kids at least 14; I wouldn't want my 11 year old sister reading it just yet.
Parent of a 12 year old Written byskittle97106 December 3, 2009

i am a tween it is ok

i love this book and if they took out the marrige the sex and the baby there would be nothing at all that is the whole book if parents don't like it don;t let tyour kids watch it duh
Parent of a 4 year old Written bysquareybee December 1, 2009

Great book- for older teens

I love it, but the sex scences are all the way though- at one point bella asks why they can't just have sex constantly- they don't get tired. There are inuendos all the way through the book and can be quite violont. NOT suitable for under 14s
Parent of a 12 year old Written bysexyvampire November 26, 2009

parents need to get over it!!!!

I am 12 and i am on the 4th book but i think it is nesasary because if you took the marrige, sex, or pregnatcy you wouldnt have Breaking Dawn. So I think that pARENTS SHOULD GET OVER IT BECAUSE IT IS VERY STUPID TO ACT THAT WAY BECAUSE OF A BOOK!!!!
Parent of a 7 and 12 year old Written byCV_Airwin November 13, 2009

Apart from the lousy way it's written, I was SHOCKED at what goes on in the book. Having read the 3 previous books (also not very impressive) this last installment in particular is more appropriate for adutlts!
Parent of a 10 and 12 year old Written bywrformica November 6, 2009

Kid review

I love this book!!!!!!! I read it when i was 10. I am eleven and it was great. There were a couple not to goos things. There were sweres such as S**t and D**n. Bella dosen't listen to wat will save her life
Parent of a 4, 11, and 14 year old Written byLoving November 1, 2009

Breaking Dawn- Good book, but only for teens

I think, like most parents, that it's not appropriate for kids or tweens. If your child reads this book, I recommend asking if any part is disturbing to them. Talking to them about issues such as violence and sex is a good idea.
Parent of a 12 year old Written bymoonstark October 24, 2009

good reading for mothers/daughters

I loved the series myself and have enjoyed reading them along with both my daughters (one adult and the other a teen). I would not recommend it for any child under 12 and would suggest it be read by parents first. I didn't have any major issues with any of the series. I believe parents need to determine if their child has a clear understand of the difference between fantasy and reality and then make their decision
Parent of a 7, 10, 11, 13, and 15 year old Written byLisa mom to 5 October 23, 2009

great read... for adults.

I liked this book but it was too mature for my 13 yr old. Sadly she read it several times before me.
Parent of a 11 year old Written bymydaughtersucks October 19, 2009

for ages 11 and up

you guys give that book to your kids and let them read it
Parent of a 12 year old Written bykutie.sweetie September 26, 2009

Adult Written bycaitlin89 September 17, 2009

Awesome, but I wouldn't recommend it for anyone under 12!

There were a lot of negative reviews for this book. But I really liked it! I am a big fan of the Twilight Saga. The sex wasn't too descriptive and was left mostly to the reader's imagination. The only part that would be a cause for concern is The birth scene (Quite gory!, but I didn't mind it because it was very realistic for the circumstances!) and possibly parts of Bella's pregnancy and When she becomes a vampire. No, it isn't comparable to Harry Potter or any other fantasy book I have read. I have people asking me to compare constantly. If you like the literary side of reading, different vocabulary and a really great (and complicated) story, Harry Potter is for you. If you want a good story with basic language and something easy to get into, Twilight is Good!
Parent of a 12 year old Written bymoveluver101 September 7, 2009

perfect for 12 and up

the book has great messages because edward and bella wait untill they're married to have sex whitch is what we tell our kids to do and it isn't descriptive edward would do anything for bella because he loves her so much
Parent of a 11 and 15 year old Written bygabajoran September 2, 2009

A good story!

I read reviews for the Twilight saga before I ever read the books. To be honest, I was more bothered by the passion portrayed in Twilight than by the honeymoon description in Breaking Dawn. Being so wrapped up in a boy isn't healthy. I have fewer problems when the whole series is considered. Edward isn't after Bella the way some boys would be. HE wants to wait for marriage and Bella ultimately agrees. Bella doesn't "want" to be the girl who marries right after high school. Her circumstances sort of dictate it, though. Edward is unnaturally attentive (creepily so, in Twilight) but considering he's both a vampire and can usually know a person's thoughts it sort of makes sense. Which somehow makes it less disturbing. He does try to control her but it is to keep her safe and he does eventually back off some. I opted to let my 11 year old read it because A) many girls she knows have and B) she can check it out at school, keep it in her backpack and I'd never know. This way, I'm aware of it and we can talk about it. I've stressed the relationships in the book between the other characters--not just Bella and Edward. There's lots of different kinds of love in the books. Alice loves her "brother" Edward, Jasper AND Bella, Edward's parents love him. Bella loves her parents. Those relationships are worth noting. The idea of waiting to have sex until after marriage and with someone you love and plan to stay with is an idea worth promoting. Bella may be helpless but she is brave and at least tries to take control. I actually appreciate that in the end it's Bella's talent that saves them all. For teen girls that's a good message--even though most girls do want to be cared for the way Edward cares for Bella. The story itself is compelling if not necessarily a classic. Overall this book is one I decided she could read now. Harry Potter it's not, but it is a good story. Stephenie Meyer has a gift for telling a story.
Parent of a 7 and 11 year old Written bycrisleem August 27, 2009

I loved it. And while I let my 11 year old read the other 3 she will have to wait for this one. Violence (for the most part) doesn't bug me, my girls get that they don't do what they read...and I'm not worried they will become a vampire...lol. But I don't think 9-12 year olds need to be reading the sex portion of this book. While not graphic for teens or adults, it's a bit much for kids in my opinion. However the characters waited till marriage and I like that. I loved the entire series and spark an intense love of reading for me and my 11 year old. But why have to explain to an 11 year old about a destroyed bed on wedding night....get it?
Adult Written bystacymcpherson August 21, 2009

The main problem that I had with this whole series is that Bella is too dependent on Edward, for everything. She feels that she can't live with out him. This is not the kind of girl I want my 14 year old daughter to model her dating life after. There is no balance between Bella and Edward. The begining of this book was completely inappropriate for the age group this was written for. If you are going to let your teen read these, please as a parent, read them yourself. Keep an open discussion going regarding the unhealthy relationship between Edward and Bella.
Adult Written bytournhtid July 18, 2009

Good for adults and 16+

The twilight saga is meant for a adults and late teens. The fan base is way to young. I believe this book and the others can negatively effect young girls. Bella is helpless and hopeless with out edward. She quits school, doesnt go to college to be with him. She also get married and pregnant at 18. This makes here out to be a damsel in distress and is anti- feminism. Worst of all this protrayal of a weak female obsessed by love is treated as to be perfectly fine by the writer rather then unhealthy as it is. Bella and Edward have violent and rough "relations". "Relations" are protrayed many times in this book. After one time she is left bitten, bruised, and scratched by edward. Bella, of course, gets pregnant with a supernatural baby of some sort, which steals away all of her strenght and life as it grows. The birth of the child is highly gory, with blood breaking bones, and a near death. There is also nudity in this book. My 12 year old sister will have to wait to read this one.
Parent of a 5 year old Written bygrapesodaa July 7, 2009

As long as it's not taken too seriously...

I feel this series explores an unhealthy relationship. Bella becomes so dependent on Edward and can be describes as an anti-feminist character who does nothing for her self. Edward is controlling and abusive towards Bella. Remind your children (especially daughters) that being treated like that is not acceptable.
Adult Written byeidasreglob June 29, 2009

a little iffy for tweens, 12-14 still a little tiny bit iffy,15+ perfect.

I liked this book, it was as good as the rest. I don't, however, think it needs all the gore as part of the birth scene. Otherwise, i give it a thumbs up for ages 14+.