All parent member reviews for Breaking Dawn: The Twilight Saga, Book 4

Parent of a 11 year old Written bymydaughtersucks October 19, 2009

for ages 11 and up

you guys give that book to your kids and let them read it
Parent of a 12 year old Written bykutie.sweetie September 26, 2009
Adult Written bycaitlin89 September 17, 2009

Awesome, but I wouldn't recommend it for anyone under 12!

There were a lot of negative reviews for this book. But I really liked it! I am a big fan of the Twilight Saga. The sex wasn't too descriptive and was left mostly to the reader's imagination. The only part that would be a cause for concern is The birth scene (Quite gory!, but I didn't mind it because it was very realistic for the circumstances!) and possibly parts of Bella's pregnancy and When she becomes a vampire. No, it isn't comparable to Harry Potter or any other fantasy book I have read. I have people asking me to compare constantly. If you like the literary side of reading, different vocabulary and a really great (and complicated) story, Harry Potter is for you. If you want a good story with basic language and something easy to get into, Twilight is Good!
Parent of a 12 year old Written bymoveluver101 September 7, 2009

perfect for 12 and up

the book has great messages because edward and bella wait untill they're married to have sex whitch is what we tell our kids to do and it isn't descriptive edward would do anything for bella because he loves her so much
Parent of a 11 and 15 year old Written bygabajoran September 2, 2009

A good story!

I read reviews for the Twilight saga before I ever read the books. To be honest, I was more bothered by the passion portrayed in Twilight than by the honeymoon description in Breaking Dawn. Being so wrapped up in a boy isn't healthy. I have fewer problems when the whole series is considered. Edward isn't after Bella the way some boys would be. HE wants to wait for marriage and Bella ultimately agrees. Bella doesn't "want" to be the girl who marries right after high school. Her circumstances sort of dictate it, though. Edward is unnaturally attentive (creepily so, in Twilight) but considering he's both a vampire and can usually know a person's thoughts it sort of makes sense. Which somehow makes it less disturbing. He does try to control her but it is to keep her safe and he does eventually back off some. I opted to let my 11 year old read it because A) many girls she knows have and B) she can check it out at school, keep it in her backpack and I'd never know. This way, I'm aware of it and we can talk about it. I've stressed the relationships in the book between the other characters--not just Bella and Edward. There's lots of different kinds of love in the books. Alice loves her "brother" Edward, Jasper AND Bella, Edward's parents love him. Bella loves her parents. Those relationships are worth noting. The idea of waiting to have sex until after marriage and with someone you love and plan to stay with is an idea worth promoting. Bella may be helpless but she is brave and at least tries to take control. I actually appreciate that in the end it's Bella's talent that saves them all. For teen girls that's a good message--even though most girls do want to be cared for the way Edward cares for Bella. The story itself is compelling if not necessarily a classic. Overall this book is one I decided she could read now. Harry Potter it's not, but it is a good story. Stephenie Meyer has a gift for telling a story.
Parent of a 7 and 11 year old Written bycrisleem August 27, 2009
I loved it. And while I let my 11 year old read the other 3 she will have to wait for this one. Violence (for the most part) doesn't bug me, my girls get that they don't do what they read...and I'm not worried they will become a vampire...lol. But I don't think 9-12 year olds need to be reading the sex portion of this book. While not graphic for teens or adults, it's a bit much for kids in my opinion. However the characters waited till marriage and I like that. I loved the entire series and spark an intense love of reading for me and my 11 year old. But why have to explain to an 11 year old about a destroyed bed on wedding night....get it?
Adult Written bystacymcpherson August 21, 2009
The main problem that I had with this whole series is that Bella is too dependent on Edward, for everything. She feels that she can't live with out him. This is not the kind of girl I want my 14 year old daughter to model her dating life after. There is no balance between Bella and Edward. The begining of this book was completely inappropriate for the age group this was written for. If you are going to let your teen read these, please as a parent, read them yourself. Keep an open discussion going regarding the unhealthy relationship between Edward and Bella.
Adult Written bytournhtid July 18, 2009

Good for adults and 16+

The twilight saga is meant for a adults and late teens. The fan base is way to young. I believe this book and the others can negatively effect young girls. Bella is helpless and hopeless with out edward. She quits school, doesnt go to college to be with him. She also get married and pregnant at 18. This makes here out to be a damsel in distress and is anti- feminism. Worst of all this protrayal of a weak female obsessed by love is treated as to be perfectly fine by the writer rather then unhealthy as it is. Bella and Edward have violent and rough "relations". "Relations" are protrayed many times in this book. After one time she is left bitten, bruised, and scratched by edward. Bella, of course, gets pregnant with a supernatural baby of some sort, which steals away all of her strenght and life as it grows. The birth of the child is highly gory, with blood breaking bones, and a near death. There is also nudity in this book. My 12 year old sister will have to wait to read this one.
Parent of a 5 year old Written bygrapesodaa July 7, 2009

As long as it's not taken too seriously...

I feel this series explores an unhealthy relationship. Bella becomes so dependent on Edward and can be describes as an anti-feminist character who does nothing for her self. Edward is controlling and abusive towards Bella. Remind your children (especially daughters) that being treated like that is not acceptable.
Adult Written byeidasreglob June 29, 2009

a little iffy for tweens, 12-14 still a little tiny bit iffy,15+ perfect.

I liked this book, it was as good as the rest. I don't, however, think it needs all the gore as part of the birth scene. Otherwise, i give it a thumbs up for ages 14+.
Parent of a 11 and 18+ year old Written byrainydayqueen June 19, 2009

SUCKED!!!! DISCRACE TO ALL VAMPIRE STORIES!!!!

This book is SO inapropriate.The birthing of Renessmee was WAYYYYYYYYYYYYY too discriptive and Jacob is perverted, he "imprinted" on a baby, and still tried to date Isabella even after she was married.
Parent of a 9 year old Written byTxLibrarianMom May 14, 2009

This is why I read books! :-)

I loved _Breaking Dawn_. I love the fact that Stephenie Meyer did not kill off everyone who caused a "complication" and told the story at a leisurely pace. The reason I read books (over and over sometimes) is to really experience life as the characters. I felt that Stephenie Meyer ended the book beautifully for all of us who relate to Bella (and that is ALL of us, right?) The book unfolded as our lives often do--not as we expect--but BETTER! :-)
Parent of a 3 and 7 year old Written bychouchou May 11, 2009

Definatly appropriate for 10 year olds!

I read it and my friends children have read it and loved it, so you know what it is appropriate!
Adult Written bycgbrown April 22, 2009

Beautiful Story!!!!

A beautiful story that is not sloopily written. it does include somethings some parents would not approve of but I am 11 and read the whole series and din't have any problems understanding it. A MUST READ!!!!!! (but read Twilight, New Moon, and Eclipse first!!!)
Educator Written byEnglish teacher April 18, 2009

More of the same--you just can't get enough junk food

Ah, the end of the Twilight series. Like eating junk food, it's not good for us but it sure is fun, and we just can't stop. Book 4 was fairly satisfying, in tying up loose ends. I don't think this author is sophisticated enough NOT to leave us satisfied. It has the same strengths and weaknesses as the first three books: foreplay is well described, and still very much G-rated; plot lines are predictable; the grammar is horrid. You'd think by the fourth book, she'd have enough advisers on her team to come up with decent names for the newest member of the Cullen family.
Adult Written byCoffeeTable March 9, 2009

Why does everyone seem to love Twilight?

This is a good series. It has brought many people (adults and teens) who do not normally read, to read 4 whole books. Which are not exactly on the small side either. I believe that since Stephanie Meyer is such a new writer, there is no expectation, no formality that you find in other books, and it is such a simple plot that it doesn’t take the 100% brain power that some other books require you to use in order to read. Not to say that those books are bad, but this is such a good book to introduce people into reading and slowly integrate in other books. This specific book rotates around sex and the pregnancy. I wouldn’t recommend it for ages less than 14.
Adult Written byxMadxScientistx February 19, 2009

Deux Ex Machina Ending

The ending was so unrealistic! The characters didn't have to solve their own problems, which always makes for a disappointing ending for a book. I also feel very uncomfortable with the idea of imprinting, which essentially decides two people's futures based entirely on chance. That is the most depressing thing I can imagine. This is my least favorite book in this series.
Adult Written bylienhuong February 18, 2009
Parent of a 13 year old Written bydenisetx November 19, 2008

I loved it

I am a parent and when my daughter, who is 13, wanted to go see the movie I decided I better read Twilight so I would get an idea of what we were in store for. I couldn't put it down. I read all four novels in a week and I work full time. Breaking Dawn brought it all together and tied it up with a ribbon. I don't believe after becoming attached to these characters I could have stood to have any of them die. The problem of choosing between two people was solved for Bella and yes it may have been a little too sweet for realists but I don't read fiction to be too close to the real world anyway. I get too much of that. Why not let yourself be in a good place for a time. I loved the way Mrs. Meyer wove together a story that is now one of my favorites. I do think this is the kind of book you would either like or dislike though. I have to say again I loved it and will re read it over and over. This series will be with my collection which includes Gone with the Wind, Lord of the Rings and all the Harry Potter books. If I want realism I will watch the news. I highly reccomend this series to anyone who wants to experience real emotions and enjoys a good read.