Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Get age-based picks

Parent reviews for Breaking Dawn: The Twilight Saga, Book 4

Last book of supernatural soap saga is slightly more mature.

Adult Written byDMS222 October 3, 2009

Bella a poor role model.

I've read all four books in this series. Stephenie Meyer, get thee to an editor! This is just plain bad writing. The sentence and paragraph structure is chop-suey, descriptive narrative non-existent. I don't like Bella. She is a whiny, mean-spirited, and has a death wish. On her first day in schoool, Eric offers to help her find her next class, and she says he's over-helpful, compares Mike to a golden retriever. Edward has all the warning flags of being an abuser. Girls, if a boy sneaks into your room to watch you sleep, commands all your time, isolates you from others, physically restrains you, run-fast-in the other direction. That is not love.
Parent of a 9 and 12 year old Written byVamp-mom14 November 15, 2010

Please read this. :)

I really loved this book. I am 36 with a 9 year old and a 12 year old.I believe that this book was the best of the series! Parents, please believe me when I say that this book has almost no dramatic sex scenes, and that Breaking Dawn is appropriate for kids 11+. Other than Bella waking up in the morning on Isle Esme with a few bruises -that go away in a few days- there is no overwhelming sex. The birth scene is reasonably graphic but, nothing really to worry about. let me explain to parents that the scene with the sex is that, Bella goes outside to see Edward in the water nude -no descriptions- and goes in too... then, it cuts off and there is the start of the next chapter. If you do not believe that this is true, than you should read that part for yourself. WARNING: Make sure that you have given your child "THE TALK" before you let them read this book. That way, they will understand the meaning of "fetus" which is the term that the Cullens use to describe the baby before it is born. Thank you sooo much for reading this and I hope that you listen to my advise of 11+. :)

Adult Written byashleyazoo April 25, 2010

If your kid has a brain (and can use it), let them read it

First of all -- If you are older than 15 you should have the common sense not to read this garbage. All this book really is is an outlet for tweens (generally girls) to live out their fantasies of having a supernatural, ultra-protective prince in shining armor vampire boyfriend(turned husband). So obviously the idea of letting a parent reading it first is simply preposterous(can anyone say awkward?). While the story in general isn't anything close to real literature, if the kid knows that having a vampire lover is nothing like its stated in the books -- they should be fine. CAUTION: The series is like a drug, somewhat addictive due to its (somewhat) suspenseful moments. I say if your kid actually believes that this could happen to them -- dont let them out of the house.
Adult Written byalicepeacock April 19, 2010

Wouldn't put myself through the horror of reading it again.

This book is an awful end to what could have been a good series :/ Where do I start? The role models produced are ones that show perfection in looks to be of utmost importance in a relationship and the main male character shows signs of domestic abuse, whilst the female character Bella is pathetic, not showing a great attitude to social situations or her own family- in short, a whiny unappreciative teenage. Another niggle with this book is the unnecessary graphic birth scene. If you haven't the guts to write about sex, shouldn't this too be off limits? It made me feel uncomfortable and sick! Not a book I'd read again. Too long, too rambling, reads like badly written fan fiction.

Parent of a 9, 12, 14, and 18+ year old Written bySusan R. March 21, 2011

Save the trees!

Bella, who gets everything she wants, still hates her life and complains incessantly. She gets to marry Edward and have s-e-x. Her husband is rich and will buy South America for her if she asks. They have an amazingly wonderful baby. Then she becomes a vampire and is stunningly beautiful and powerful. Then there is a battle between a bubble and some fog. A teenage boy with no education, job, or future falls in love with an infant. The End. Don't read this drivel, even if your kids are reluctant readers. Just as it's better for a kid to eat a PB&J than pork rinds soaked in vodka, it's better for them to read the back of a cereal box than read Breaking Dawn.
Adult Written bystephieb87 October 7, 2011

grrrr

Ok if you even bothered to read the books you would know Jacob DID NOT fall in love with an infant what happened was called imprinting there is a large difference more than a little strange but you people are acting like she is portraying him as a pedophile. you should probably read the books... Bella did not quit school actually there was a party thrown for her graduating.The books were meant for older teens to adults. If your letting your children read them that's your fault and not the fault of the writers. It's one thing if you just didn't like the books ok understandable but it seems like some people are twisting things around for them to better suit their meaning and to make some of their negative comments make more sense. Sorry so long no disrespect intended thanks for your time.

Parent of a 2, 3, and 7 year old Written bycaspian October 18, 2009
I love this book for myself! I am a 29 year old mother to a 7 year old girl. Her friends talk about it but she knows she will not be reading it till she is 14 or so. The birth scene is very graphic and Edward and Bella's relationship is too mature for tweens.

Adult Written bysoccermom787 December 7, 2009

Parent of a 2 and 9 year old Written byKidsAndMommy September 2, 2011

Educational Value
Adult Written byruiz12 February 28, 2009
Parent Written byvolture July 10, 2010
wow. I thought Breaking Dawn is the best of the series. Parents, at first I, myself, did not want my 12 year old daughter reading it because of what my 14 year old daughter told me about it. My 12 year old begged me, so I read it. Very good book. Their were some mentions of sex, but none at all were described.When Bella gives birth there are mentions of blood and breaking bones but not very descriptive. Edward and Bella are very good role models. Edward and Bella wait to have sex after they are married,Edward is always saving Bella, Bella is against abortion, and they love each other and no one else. I ended up letting my daughter read the book and she loved it. All Parents I would do the same.

Adult Written byfaiiryy. October 8, 2009
Bella finally gets her man! the wedding was great!! loved it! RENESMEE!!! loved this book! this book is probably the more risque book of the 4.. but its done in such a subtle way that it doesnt even make any difference really/

Adult Written byindie_q November 30, 2014

Totally Imaginable!

"Twilight Breaking Dawn" focuses on the events following "Twilight Eclipse". Bella has many happy times with Edward. But then the most unexpected happens a complete twist. Many obstacles to overcome. Also making new friends but also new enemies. Through out there journey Bella and Edward are always fighting for their love something that will eventually cause waterworks especially for the hopeless romantics out there. Also this book influences family values by also showing how the Cullen's all stuck together to face the evil no matter the circumstances they had each others back. In my opinion this book is really good, actually its pretty awesome.Its mostly a book I would recommend for girls or even guys who are into vampires and teen fiction kind o f books. At times the author does a really good job how Bella is reacting to all the chaos surrounding her ,but also demonstrates how deep her emotions are. I would recommend this book because it's a book that keeps you so into it its hard to put down.

Parent of a 2, 4, 7, and 11 year old Written byMountaintop_Grandma December 23, 2009

parent / child discussions are neccessary

Yes there is violence, Yes there is sexual activity after marriage. My granddaughter has read the entire series twice during the summer. I also read the series. Yes, there were questions. But isn't that what parents and grandparents are supposed to do? Prepare our kids for for the realities of life and help them to determine the difference between reality, fiction and what is and is not acceptable.

Educational Value
Parent of a 4 year old Written bysquareybee December 1, 2009

Great book- for older teens

I love it, but the sex scences are all the way though- at one point bella asks why they can't just have sex constantly- they don't get tired. There are inuendos all the way through the book and can be quite violont. NOT suitable for under 14s

Adult Written byimadreamer9645 January 15, 2009

A must read book

when i read this book i was 11 years old parents dont worry most of your 11 year old children dont know about sex we all know also it doesnt describe everything it just talks about the before and after
Adult Written byGranny reader March 26, 2012

Granny reader's thoughts on Breaking Dawn.

My children hated this book! I read this book to my 4 year old grandson. My grandson was very frightened at the sexual behavior, and asked me what i meant... i give this book 1 star of rating, it just sucked... "pun intended." I have been growing old and weary, and i am wondering what has happened to our society?! My oh my Stephenie Meyer, what are we to do about this?

Parent of a 8 and 11 year old Written bymolly2568 October 1, 2014

Not what you would expect

Most people avoid having their kids read this saga because they think it has too much sexy stuff. Really the only part parents should be cautious about is the birth scene, where bella breaks her spine, and there are a lot of gory details.