All member reviews for Breaking Dawn: The Twilight Saga, Book 4

Last book of supernatural soap saga is slightly more mature.

Adult Written bystephieb87 October 7, 2011

grrrr

Ok if you even bothered to read the books you would know Jacob DID NOT fall in love with an infant what happened was called imprinting there is a large difference more than a little strange but you people are acting like she is portraying him as a pedophile. you should probably read the books... Bella did not quit school actually there was a party thrown for her graduating.The books were meant for older teens to adults. If your letting your children read them that's your fault and not the fault of the writers. It's one thing if you just didn't like the books ok understandable but it seems like some people are twisting things around for them to better suit their meaning and to make some of their negative comments make more sense. Sorry so long no disrespect intended thanks for your time.
Kid, 11 years old July 26, 2009

horrible book!

this is a horrible book. please don't let your kids read it! i'm anti-twilight and i pretty much joined just to review this book, but i don't want to rant on you guys, so here are some main reasons why it's a horrible book: - negative rolde models. bella is a whiny and annoying mary sue and she gets what she wants without working for anything. she married her sparkly vampire husband edward just to have sex with him. - that leads me to point out that there is too much sexual content for kids. sure, the sex isn't described in detail, but edward and bella are constantly having "house-breaking", "night-long" sex. - too graphic. bella started puking out blood then edward had to rip her stomach open and take out their baby. then he had to bite her all over her body to turn her into a vampire. disgusting! - PEDOPHILIA!! do some research, go to twilightsucks.com, i don't even want to go in-depth about this... - not to mention the book is ANTI-CLIMATIC. stephenie meyer [worst author ever, has a big ego, can't take criticism...] built up all this suspense for a fight, then guess what? nothing happens and edward and bella get their sparkly, happy ending! worst, book, ever! don't let your young kids read it, or let them read it as an example of how not to write.
Parent of a 2 and 9 year old Written byKidsAndMommy September 2, 2011

Kid, 12 years old June 24, 2011

A boy is ALL you need. THIS BOOK IS A PAPERWEIGHT!

Bella marries Edward and gets preganet with his kid. the kid breaks her bones and almost ends up killing her. It turns out that (whopdeedoo) Bella is great at everything and they live happily ever after.... almost. Except then the voultri try to kill them all and Bella scares them off. And Bella finds out that immorality solves everyones problems. The up side? A lot of the book is narrated by Jacob Black, the teenage werewolf and Bella's best friend. Why don't I intruduce you to a new BOOK called Harry Potter?
Parent of a 9 and 12 year old Written byVamp-mom14 November 15, 2010

Please read this. :)

I really loved this book. I am 36 with a 9 year old and a 12 year old.I believe that this book was the best of the series! Parents, please believe me when I say that this book has almost no dramatic sex scenes, and that Breaking Dawn is appropriate for kids 11+. Other than Bella waking up in the morning on Isle Esme with a few bruises -that go away in a few days- there is no overwhelming sex. The birth scene is reasonably graphic but, nothing really to worry about. let me explain to parents that the scene with the sex is that, Bella goes outside to see Edward in the water nude -no descriptions- and goes in too... then, it cuts off and there is the start of the next chapter. If you do not believe that this is true, than you should read that part for yourself. WARNING: Make sure that you have given your child "THE TALK" before you let them read this book. That way, they will understand the meaning of "fetus" which is the term that the Cullens use to describe the baby before it is born. Thank you sooo much for reading this and I hope that you listen to my advise of 11+. :)
Teen, 16 years old Written byhollywoodstgal June 22, 2010

Iffy even for teenagers

Sex, sex, and sex are the main concerns for this book. Bella and Edward have sex (after they're married, so that is a good model for teens to follow) and Bella becomes pregnant. When she gives birth, it is extremely gory and might scare or upset tweens and anyone younger than 13. Definitely stand by for a talk if you let your child read Breaking Dawn.
Adult Written byalicepeacock April 19, 2010

Wouldn't put myself through the horror of reading it again.

This book is an awful end to what could have been a good series :/ Where do I start? The role models produced are ones that show perfection in looks to be of utmost importance in a relationship and the main male character shows signs of domestic abuse, whilst the female character Bella is pathetic, not showing a great attitude to social situations or her own family- in short, a whiny unappreciative teenage. Another niggle with this book is the unnecessary graphic birth scene. If you haven't the guts to write about sex, shouldn't this too be off limits? It made me feel uncomfortable and sick! Not a book I'd read again. Too long, too rambling, reads like badly written fan fiction.
Parent of a 2, 4, 7, and 11 year old Written byMountaintop_Grandma December 23, 2009

parent / child discussions are neccessary

Yes there is violence, Yes there is sexual activity after marriage. My granddaughter has read the entire series twice during the summer. I also read the series. Yes, there were questions. But isn't that what parents and grandparents are supposed to do? Prepare our kids for for the realities of life and help them to determine the difference between reality, fiction and what is and is not acceptable.
Kid, 2 years old November 25, 2009

Perfectly fine for anyone over 9

I really like this book. It is defidentally one of my fave books of all time. I mean, yeah, the birth is pretty violent, but not too much to handle. yea Bella and Edward do that but its more of a before and after thing. they dont describe anything. I rread this when i was 10 aand it was perfectly fine. i would recomend this book to my friends.
Kid, 12 years old January 6, 2010

TERRIBLE

this book is absolutely horrible don't let your kids read it, how can people compare this piece of rubbishto Harry Potter?
Teen, 17 years old Written byjlyssa192 August 3, 2009

REALLY NOT FOR ANYONE UNDER 16.

I have seen kids still in elementary school reading these books and I just don't think that they are appropriate for them. Girls the ages of 14 and up should read the series, not little kids. This book contains many, many sexual refrences and sex scenes between the protagonist and her vampire husband. Also, there is a very graphic birth scene extremely unsuitable for children. The scene is very disturbing (Bella's spine breaks and Edward rips open her stomach b/c the child is eating its way out of her).
Teen, 16 years old Written byXenon Vortex October 6, 2010

Hmm.......

I personally hate Stephenie Meyer's Twilight saga. Nothing good comes from the overly obsessive hype in teenage girls and the negative messages these dark books send. Doesn't anyone else see a problem with ADMIRING demonic creatures like vampires? Or is it just me? I honestly think Edward isn't a good guy, neither is Jacob. For people to get all worked up is giving them a false hope for what relationships are like. It's a dark soap opera. Violent, sensual, and pathetic. I don't think 12 year olds need to be exposed to this.
Parent of a 2, 3, and 7 year old Written bycaspian October 18, 2009

I love this book for myself! I am a 29 year old mother to a 7 year old girl. Her friends talk about it but she knows she will not be reading it till she is 14 or so. The birth scene is very graphic and Edward and Bella's relationship is too mature for tweens.
Adult Written byashleyazoo April 25, 2010

If your kid has a brain (and can use it), let them read it

First of all -- If you are older than 15 you should have the common sense not to read this garbage. All this book really is is an outlet for tweens (generally girls) to live out their fantasies of having a supernatural, ultra-protective prince in shining armor vampire boyfriend(turned husband). So obviously the idea of letting a parent reading it first is simply preposterous(can anyone say awkward?). While the story in general isn't anything close to real literature, if the kid knows that having a vampire lover is nothing like its stated in the books -- they should be fine. CAUTION: The series is like a drug, somewhat addictive due to its (somewhat) suspenseful moments. I say if your kid actually believes that this could happen to them -- dont let them out of the house.
Teen, 14 years old Written byjessie12896 February 11, 2010

Awesome read

This was my favorite book of the Twilight saga. I know a lot of parents are concerned with Bella having sex, but it doesn't describe anything other than her waking up with bruises (due to vampire strength). My main concern would be a gory child birth and violence with the Volturi. Other than that, it's a great, romantic, dramatic read!
Adult Written byAslynima September 6, 2010

I would recommend this Saga to children 10-12+

Bella has waited till she is married to have sex, which is a great lesson for children and tweens. There is a violent birth scene, which bones are broken and blood fly's everywhere, with thoughts of death. I think it is important to discuss birth with your child before allowing them to read this book, because this would leave them very confused about babies. This book will be inspirational for tweens, to find their fortè, and not to care what anyone thinks. As I've said before, great role models!
Adult Written byfaiiryy. October 8, 2009

Bella finally gets her man! the wedding was great!! loved it! RENESMEE!!! loved this book! this book is probably the more risque book of the 4.. but its done in such a subtle way that it doesnt even make any difference really/
Parent of a 11 year old Written bymydaughtersucks October 19, 2009

for ages 11 and up

you guys give that book to your kids and let them read it
Teen, 17 years old Written byOpinionatedTeen September 7, 2010

Smutty Soap - Not appropriate for teens.

This book focuses too much on sex and obssession rather than love and purity. Frankly, the only redeeming aspect is that Bella waited until after marriage to have sex, but the stalkerism element present in the saga between her and Edward is not appropriate as model on which kids should base their own lives. Add to that, the Cullens are filthy rich and constantly buying extravagent things while Bella is middle-class. In the way it's written, it seems that Bella is completely co-dependent on Edward. Plus, the violent birth scene, and the implied violent sex are not acceptable for anyone under sixteen.
Teen, 13 years old Written byUnicornGirl February 19, 2013

BEST!!! BOOK!!! EVER!!!! (for anyone over 13)

My favorite book ever!!! Romance, thrills, action, etc combine to make the best book EVER!! I thought I hated romance and twilight, until I have the first book a chance. This series has changed my life!! The book is amazing, with some inappropriate honeymoon scenes (not described in detail) and plenty of violence. A bloody birth scene may scare anyone under 13. A fantastic read!!! Parents: Read chapters distractions, isle esme, and there are no words for this before letting kids under 14 read this.