All member reviews for Breaking Dawn: The Twilight Saga, Book 4

Last book of supernatural soap saga is slightly more mature.

Kid, 11 years old September 28, 2009

Bad message, Smeyer!

I did enjoy the fourth book in the series, and believe Bella actually grew as a person. The sex scenes are very mild and a mature tween/teen should be able to handle it though I suggest that you as a parent read over the honeymoon scenes just in case. I find it very impowering and I think it gives girls all over the idea that it's OK to have sex and get pregnant and married at 18, and that you shouldn't be with your boyfriend because he's not Edward Cullen. Really? Also, it lowers girls self-esteem and thinks they need to be brown-haired, brown-eyed, damsel-in-distress, girls so they will find their "Edward Cullen" Myself being a blonde, blue-eyed chick, find this very offensive. This series is WAY to overrated, and trust me, I am not trying to rant on Twilight or Stephenie Meyer, I am a fan, I admit, and have read all 4 books so ha! I wish Bella could just leave Edward, cause lets face it, he's too good for her and she knows it! :)
Parent of a 12 year old Written bykutie.sweetie September 26, 2009
Kid, 8 years old September 26, 2009

great for teens, but for tweens it's not that bad

I, myself, loved to book. My parents let me sometimes watch/read/listen to bad stuff. The sex was not too bad. At least they didn't continue with it. There was not much violence. In fact, there barely was any! An then there's the childbirth scene. I don't know if they'll show that in the movies. Well, at least there weren't pictures. I think it should be for 11 and up.
Teen, 13 years old Written bystuffhappens September 25, 2009

Good for teens and tweens, but not children

I think that Bella and Edward's relationship is to controling and somewhat abusive. In other word's, unhealthy.
Kid, 12 years old September 21, 2009

Series Takes It Too Far

I myself did not like this book. It was NOT the nice series I read for 4th graders and teenagers alike. It was dragged on long if you asked me. Throughout the whole series, you can see that Edward Cullen is possessive of Bella. He forbids Bella from seeing Jacob at all. A man comments on Bella's 'rockin' body', too. There's violence, innuendoes, and much more. The fourth and final novel of the vampire love saga. All I have to say is thank the Lord it's over! PEOPLE ARE ENTITLED TO THEIR OWN OPINIONS. I just think it is using too much valuable money. Why can't they spend the money they're using to make the movies to put children in school or feed the hungry rather than show off how excessively the Cullens live? Who honestly thought of that?
Kid, 12 years old September 19, 2009

trust your kids

SHUT UP!!!!!!!!!!!! it happens every day to repopulate the earth so please dont go there.if you talk to your kids this book is fine.
Teen, 14 years old Written bywaiyeng September 18, 2009

It's a very good book with a lot of drama and suspense.

The book is great! It is full of suspense and really lets someone think of the book in their own way! It is really good and is also a good show of love and support needed through rough times. It also shows the true friendship between friends which is a very good example for teenage kids who have lots of problems with friends and relationships. It is a very good book and advice anyone to read it (preferably over 13 years of age).
Adult Written bycaitlin89 September 17, 2009

Awesome, but I wouldn't recommend it for anyone under 12!

There were a lot of negative reviews for this book. But I really liked it! I am a big fan of the Twilight Saga. The sex wasn't too descriptive and was left mostly to the reader's imagination. The only part that would be a cause for concern is The birth scene (Quite gory!, but I didn't mind it because it was very realistic for the circumstances!) and possibly parts of Bella's pregnancy and When she becomes a vampire. No, it isn't comparable to Harry Potter or any other fantasy book I have read. I have people asking me to compare constantly. If you like the literary side of reading, different vocabulary and a really great (and complicated) story, Harry Potter is for you. If you want a good story with basic language and something easy to get into, Twilight is Good!
Kid, 11 years old September 15, 2009

Great

I really like it but the birth scene is gross but parents should know that if kids don't want to read something they WILL put it down
Teen, 14 years old Written byjott1 September 13, 2009

the best book ever

i really love this book
Kid, 10 years old September 8, 2009
I loved it but my mom taped together the pages of the honeymoon because she felt it was not appropriate for a 10 year old. That was fine with me because I loved this book anyways.
Parent of a 12 year old Written bymoveluver101 September 7, 2009

perfect for 12 and up

the book has great messages because edward and bella wait untill they're married to have sex whitch is what we tell our kids to do and it isn't descriptive edward would do anything for bella because he loves her so much
Parent of a 11 and 15 year old Written bygabajoran September 2, 2009

A good story!

I read reviews for the Twilight saga before I ever read the books. To be honest, I was more bothered by the passion portrayed in Twilight than by the honeymoon description in Breaking Dawn. Being so wrapped up in a boy isn't healthy. I have fewer problems when the whole series is considered. Edward isn't after Bella the way some boys would be. HE wants to wait for marriage and Bella ultimately agrees. Bella doesn't "want" to be the girl who marries right after high school. Her circumstances sort of dictate it, though. Edward is unnaturally attentive (creepily so, in Twilight) but considering he's both a vampire and can usually know a person's thoughts it sort of makes sense. Which somehow makes it less disturbing. He does try to control her but it is to keep her safe and he does eventually back off some. I opted to let my 11 year old read it because A) many girls she knows have and B) she can check it out at school, keep it in her backpack and I'd never know. This way, I'm aware of it and we can talk about it. I've stressed the relationships in the book between the other characters--not just Bella and Edward. There's lots of different kinds of love in the books. Alice loves her "brother" Edward, Jasper AND Bella, Edward's parents love him. Bella loves her parents. Those relationships are worth noting. The idea of waiting to have sex until after marriage and with someone you love and plan to stay with is an idea worth promoting. Bella may be helpless but she is brave and at least tries to take control. I actually appreciate that in the end it's Bella's talent that saves them all. For teen girls that's a good message--even though most girls do want to be cared for the way Edward cares for Bella. The story itself is compelling if not necessarily a classic. Overall this book is one I decided she could read now. Harry Potter it's not, but it is a good story. Stephenie Meyer has a gift for telling a story.
Kid, 12 years old August 31, 2009

Iffy for me.

This book was very iffy for me. My friend and I both agree that this book is our least favorite in the series because of all the stuff that we shouldn't read. It is very good, don't get me wrong, just don't let anyone under the age of 11 read it no matter how mature they are.
Kid, 11 years old August 30, 2009

ICK!!!!!!

I HATE THIS BOOK!!!!!!I wouldnt let your kids read it.Seriously.Do you really want your kids to think its okay to have "it" right after high scool?And,Whats up with all the Violence?And why does it all Get better at the end of the story??
Teen, 13 years old Written byroxy210 August 29, 2009
I do think that sometimes this book is very detailed and is a little bit...too descriptive. But overall it is a very good book for young adults.
Parent of a 7 and 11 year old Written bycrisleem August 27, 2009
I loved it. And while I let my 11 year old read the other 3 she will have to wait for this one. Violence (for the most part) doesn't bug me, my girls get that they don't do what they read...and I'm not worried they will become a vampire...lol. But I don't think 9-12 year olds need to be reading the sex portion of this book. While not graphic for teens or adults, it's a bit much for kids in my opinion. However the characters waited till marriage and I like that. I loved the entire series and spark an intense love of reading for me and my 11 year old. But why have to explain to an 11 year old about a destroyed bed on wedding night....get it?
Teen, 15 years old Written bydefygravity102 August 27, 2009
Teen, 14 years old Written byclairecollier_ August 27, 2009

Love it. I would reccomend all of Stephaine Meyer's books to anyone over 13+.
Kid, 11 years old August 24, 2009

Good for mature tweens and pre-teens and older

Love this book - my only concerns are the "emotional" parts that happen, which really creep you out, and the cursing, but no really bad words, just everyday language. And in the fights it's really violent, but nothing too horrible.