All member reviews for Breaking Dawn: The Twilight Saga, Book 4

Last book of supernatural soap saga is slightly more mature.

Teen, 13 years old Written byLenaTheBoss July 9, 2012

This should never have been published

This is an amazing example of how NOT to write a book. To start off, the writing is awful and riddled with grammatical mistakes (enough that I, as a ten year old, was majorly annoyed), there is a whole lot of build-up toward a whole lot of nothing, the characters are flat (and in the case of Bella and Edward, Mary Sues to the umpteenth degree), it’s very anti-feminist despite having a female protagonist, and it portrays abusive relationships and pedophilia as healthy. Everyone gets everything they ever wanted in life, the characters are all idiots, Stephenie Meyer breaks her own rules so that “Renesmee Carlie Cullen” can exist, Jacob FALLS IN LOVE WITH A NEWBORN BABY, and Bella leaves behind her dreams, her future, her family and her non-vamp friends so she can frolic in sparkly sexy vampire paradise forever with the one she "loves." Keep in mind, there is no actual love in this book, only lust. On the honeymoon, once sex is taken out of the equation, Bella and Edward merely put up with each other. While she may promote abstinence, Bella Swan is an awful role model, throwing away her life for her abusive and “perfect” boyfriend, pretty much not being able to function without a man in her life, giving her daughter a name that would ensure lifelong bullying in the real world, and attacking someone because they gave said daughter a nickname she didn’t like, not to mention all the other stupid stuff in the three previous books. And despite all that, Stephenie Meyer manages to portray her heroine as perfect and responsible. This book is extremely twisted and disturbing in ways that are only apparent if you understand it for more than its face value. If you are a parent and you let your daughter/son read this (don’t, for any reason), be prepared to have a long discussion about healthy and unhealthy relationships. Please, please, please, read a Harry Potter book instead. Those are infinitely better.
Teen, 13 years old Written bymiami- July 2, 2012

pointless....................................

This book might be fun to read but come on its pointless. you really think in real life you are gonna meet a vampire and fall in love.
Kid, 10 years old May 26, 2012

Breaking Dawn is not that bad......

Well, I am 10 years old and i just adore The Twilight Saga. I recommend it for children that are mature with sex, language, and violence. If your children are afraid of blood and guts, I would choose another film. Another thing, the two sex scenes, I am not that worried about the two sex scenes cause they aren't as detailed as I thought they would be. I would over all recommend it for mature children 10 & up.
Teen, 15 years old Written bylovesachiko1 May 7, 2012

Very different from the other books.

I must admit, I'm a fan of the series especially the 3rd book! In my opinion, the first three books were basically fine for kids even under the age of 9 but this 4th book.. My reaction was just like. "Wait. WHAT!?!? EWWW!!" I was, I think 12 when I read it, I wish I waited a few more years. It was,umm, disturbing. I thought that it was going to generally be the same as the first three books. Vampires, Werewolves, and Love <3. But instead there was way too much detailed love. Seriously. Wait until you're old enough. Please..
Kid, 11 years old April 17, 2012

Best one

Ya, there is sex, not described, birth scene is..... Disturbing, great book though, (spoiler) when Bella turns into a vampire, it was awesome, usually that would have ruined it for me, but she was better as a vampire, I liked her better
Kid, 12 years old April 17, 2012

good for mature tweens and teens

I read this when I was 11 and thought it was awesome. Yes Bella and Edward have "it" but the "it" itself is not graphic at all. They get in bed an the the next para literally starts off with "The next morning". However, before that "it" is all Bella wants, and basically all she's thinking about is how sexy Edward is. Bella has an accidental pregnancy that is a great window for parents to talk to their children. The birth is kind of gruesome, but nothing a mature person wouldn't be able to handle.
Parent Written byGranny reader March 26, 2012

Granny reader's thoughts on Breaking Dawn.

My children hated this book! I read this book to my 4 year old grandson. My grandson was very frightened at the sexual behavior, and asked me what i meant... i give this book 1 star of rating, it just sucked... "pun intended." I have been growing old and weary, and i am wondering what has happened to our society?! My oh my Stephenie Meyer, what are we to do about this?
Teen, 14 years old Written byBailey Crawly March 19, 2012

Best book in the series, not for a certain age (blah blah blah), but if you're child is mature, it should be fine if they're younger than what I believe when they enjoy this great book!

Only the most devoted fans wouldn't have been sick of the old vamp/human love thing going on. However, as a fan, I thought this book was the best and, by far, the most explicit. Jacob - who has a section amounting to 50% of the book - has a lot of profanities used in it. My analysis is below (here we go...!!!): No educational value because, again, it's not an educational story. No positive messages because there's nothing beyond the vampire/human relationship meaning, Jacob Black is a good role model for boys, there is a major vampire/werewolf fight, a vampire/volturi fight and the werewolves are mad at Edward for transforming Bella, Edward and Bella get married, kiss passionately, and have sex on their honeymoon (more than once) after taking a nude swim together, Jacob's section of the book has words like "sure as hell" or "waiting for the da*n fight to start", product placement on car brands and one of the characters is given morphine (by a vampire doctor). Also, Bella drinks blood to satisfy her baby's thirst. The best book in the Twilight saga, no contest, but it is difficult to understand unless you're a certain age to be able to understand about sex (because the description is VERY vague, I myself almost missed it.)
Teen, 14 years old Written byScreennameGirl March 3, 2012

Horrible Book

I was disappointed in this book. It was very violent. And Bella giving birth to a child with lots of blood and bones cracking? She's only 18 years old!!!! How is that being a good role model? Jacob 'marks' Bella's newborn. NOT for kids and tweens.
Teen, 13 years old Written bymadimad999 February 14, 2012

If your mature>>>

Very sexual, but I would say if your kids are: Young for their age: 14+ Average: 13 + Mature: 11+
Kid, 11 years old February 6, 2012

Awesome Great

I would let your kids read the book or watch the movie.
Teen, 13 years old Written bySquidney February 4, 2012

Poorly Written, But OK!

Finally, my Mom let me read Breaking Dawn! Although she was hesitant and I knew I might be dissapointed, I decided to read anyways. I must admit, I was a little disapointed. Stephanie Meyer isn't really the greatest writer. The sexual content isn't good for kids 11 and under, but it's NOT extremley discriptive. I was a little weirded out when Bella's birth scene came... Pretty violent! Parents, just keep in mind that it's not good for young kids... It's not bad, though! I liked it, but it really could've been better.
Teen, 15 years old Written byDancingInTheRain January 16, 2012

What was Stephanie Myer thinking?

Lately I have been rejoicing that this series is finally over. This series is unbearable. Not just the fact that it's overly hyped up, it's just sick. Being a teenager, I even thought it was sick and apparently I'm supposed to enjoy this series like basically every other teenage girl who has ever existed. Let's go through every section shall we? First off, educational value. Pretty much nonexistent. To talk about the series as a whole, basically the only class Bella Swan, our lovely-except-not main character, ever went to was Biology, and in that class she just stared creepily at Edward Cullen, one of the two love interests in the stories. Nothing to learn from this. Secondly, positive messages. Also nonexistent. Bella Swan, or at this point, Bella Cullen, gets married at the ripe age of 18, her daughter gets married at the age of 7, which is probably the most REVOLTING part of the overall revolting series, Bella falls in love with Edward in about a week. Yes. A WEEK. Let's see, Edward fights all her battles for her, he's always telling Bella what to do...really I could go on, but let's keep the review going. Positive role-models. Again, nonexistent. Really, Bella is the stereotypical 1950's-esque suburban housewife type of girl who does everything her husband/boyfriend tells her to do. Also, Bella had no sense of independence or self-worth without Edward Cullen. In book two, New Moon, she jumps off a cliff just to hear Edward's voice after he left her. She curls up into the fetal position and goes numb for months on end, while she could have just gathered up the courage to walk away for good when he walked away from her. Many of the people on this site are parents, I'm sure you fell in love with whomever you are/were married to. If they left you, would you have jumped off a cliff because you thought they'd come back if you did? Most likely not, right? Edward Cullen isn't a good role model either. He watched Bella while she slept, he was slightly abusive, extremely controlling, very aggressive. All around a terrible character. Jacob Black, another main character who, in case you were wondering, was, along with Edward, hopelessly in love with Bella. He held promise in the 1st-3rd books but of course Stephanie Myer, the writer of this series, had to ruin him for everyone. In this installment, Breaking Dawn, after "imprinting" on the product of Edward and Bella's (objectionable) love, Renesmee Cullen, who is, in fact, a weird half-human, half-vampire hybrid thing, on account of the fact that Bella is a human and Edward is a vampire, so the baby didn't know what it wanted to be really. Anyway, Jacob falls madly in love with a newborn child, which, for some reason, everyone is completely okay with, even Renesmee, and Edward, Jacob's natural enemy, and Jacob marries her when she is, brace yourself, seven years old, branding him a pedophile for all of eternity. Seriously, is marriage THIS incredibly underage even legal in the place where the book is set, in Forks, Washington? Sixteen is slightly believable, but Seven? Really? Violence. The book is not extremely violent, as the story has practically no conflict, but the fact that Edward and Bella, kids may want to turn away, have sex so hard that Edward breaks the headboard of the bed with his hand, and leaves Bella bloody and bruised in the process. And the fact that he chews the baby out of her stomach, yes, you read that correctly, makes even me cringe. Sex. I already went in detail about the sexual scenes, let's not do this again. Language. Not much. I''ll credit it for that. Consumerism. The Cullens are obviously very rich, that fact that Edward's father, Carlisle, buys an island in this book will tell you that, giving a child reading, particularly a female child, the unnatural idea that if you marry into a rich family, you'll win in life and never have to work, ever. Kids should be developing some sense of a work ethic, right? Too much drinking, drugs, are smoking. Not an issue. Overall, the story is very bad. I wouldn't recommend it for kids, or anyone for that matter. There are good writer's out there, Stephanie Myer just isn't one of them. If you decide to spend your money on this, all you'll be thinking when you're finished is, "Why?"
Teen, 13 years old Written bysammy4488 January 12, 2012

Not as Bad as people Say!!!!!

Come on! I loved this book! Adults might think of it as a bad role model but it's just a story. And besides Edward wasn't supposed to be able to get Bella pregnant! Yeah the birth part is gory, have to agree with that but nothing a mature 13 or maybe 12 year old can't handle. And it gives no real details on the sex part, just when they wake up. Be wary though, this book isn't for everyone. One of the best books I've read!
Teen, 13 years old Written byHeq073198 January 9, 2012

YUCK!!!!

I really, really, I repeat, REALLY hate these books. Bella is a spineless brat who will do whatever Edward, who is a STALKER, tells her to. And Jacob is a disgusting pedophile. HE FALLS IN LOVE WITH THEIR BABY FOR PETE'S SAKE!!!!!!! But I do have one thing to say in Stephanie Meyer's defense. People say her writing is choppy, but I think she's just trying to get you into Bella's frame of mind. But horrible role models for girls are in these books, and no girl should let a boy treat her like Edward treats Bella.
Teen, 16 years old Written byhggmf December 31, 2011

twilight breaking dawn

Teen, 13 years old Written bymenchieslover December 22, 2011

AMAZING !!!!!!

AMAZING BOOK!!!!!!!!! A bit intense at the birth and voulturie fight.
Kid, 12 years old December 2, 2011

OK

I read this book when I was 10 ( I was mature) and thought is was alright, It was entertaining and I finished it in two days. BUT it doesn't send a great message accross. Then again it is the most interesting book in the twilight series, all the other books are about war and giving each other longing stares (stalker) :D it is an OK book and I think mature ten year olds can handle it.
Teen, 17 years old Written bymisty f November 29, 2011

VAMP-A-LICIOUS

Wow this book was awesome!!!!! When i read the book I fell in love with this book!!!! The movie is much better though because when I read a book I can't really picture what i am reading. But when I went to see it in theaters i was thinking that it was actually just like the book. everything that happened in the book happened in the movie. " I WANT TO LET YOU KNOW THAT YOU SHOULD REALLY GO SEE THE MOVIE YOU'LL LOVE IT."
Kid, 12 years old November 24, 2011

Ok if Tweens are mature

it is a really good book and Bella is more independent. Bella does have sex with Edward but it is after marriage and it is put into little to no detail. The birth scene is quite disturbing though. Bella shows good parental skills and so does Edward.