All member reviews for Bud, Not Buddy

Teen, 14 years old Written bynerdgirl96 January 16, 2011

definitly deserves its awards

I love this book! It has some sad parts but still manages to be funny some of the time. I really like Bud; he has such an interesting perspective on life. I enjoyed Bud Caldwell's Rules and Things for Having a Funner Life and Making a Better Liar Out of Yourself. One thing I really like about Christopher Paul Curtis is that he writes about African-Americans in the North, who you don't hear as much about as those in the South.
Teen, 17 years old Written byBurninHot_1311 April 9, 2008

Teen, 13 years old Written byassaneopare April 27, 2009

Teen, 13 years old Written byber10her January 12, 2010

read it

it is a good book and i think kids and parent should read it
Kid, 10 years old December 23, 2009

Great

It is a great book even though I haven't read ALL of it. Sexual behavior is when someone dips someones hand in warm water while there sleeping and they "wet the bed"
Teen, 13 years old Written byBestPicture1996 October 13, 2009

One of my favorite books of all time

"Bud, Not Buddy" is (in my opinion) a fantastic tale about an orphan boy in the Depression era who's on a search for his father. It has colorful characters, twists, and plenty of emotion. I read it as an assignment for school, but bought it because I liked it so much.
Kid, 12 years old July 8, 2011

okay

i think this book should only be read by older kids but over all it was not that bad .
Kid, 11 years old January 24, 2011

terribul for kids, cool for teens!

it is terribil. Bud gets locked up in a shed overnight, scared because of what his foster parents told him, "there's a blood stain on the floor from the last kid who was in there! And the one before that had a bug stuck in his ear and it didn't come out!" the foster parent really lock him in the dark shed all night! And when he tries to get out he finds they put dead fish heads on the door handle! and they tell him that there are vampire bats in the shed, Bud finds one. then he wacks it with a rake and it's really a hornet's nest all the hornets attack kim and then he finds a way out and has to fend for himself on the street! i don't like this book at all! oh, and it says an unpositave word!!!!
Kid, 11 years old February 20, 2010

good for grades 3 and up

i am a student at morgan fitzgarald middle school. My reading teacher, Mrs Krausse , suplied us all with the book Bud, Not Buddy, to read and then return to her. We had this tape of someone reading it, chapter by chapter. I LOVED it!!! So did my other classmates in 6th grade. i think that every school should do this. i not only teaches you about the grate depersion, there may be new vocabulary that your familly can talk about and the unbeleving curage of a boy so yong as 9. it's inspiering......
Teen, 15 years old Written byCourtneyRheanne October 26, 2009

best book ever.

Bud not Buddy is my favorite book, and It always will be.I first read this book in fifth grade, and I am still reading it till this day(: I have read it about 6 times. and every time I love it more. So if your looking for a good book. read BUD NOT BUDDY. hes journey is real aspiring.
Kid, 11 years old August 6, 2014

If you like this book, you're dead to me.

My profile: https://www.commonsensemedia.org/users/epic-waffles This is the worst book of all time don't read it it's is horrible and boring. DON'T BOTHER READING IT!
Teen, 14 years old Written byICONiac14 March 12, 2012

Best Book Ever!

I think This Book Was Very Good! This Book is So Vivid, I use it In Almost All The Projects I Do For Reading.I read this Book Like 3 times!
Kid, 11 years old October 26, 2011

good book

good book it did involve bud holding a gun so dont read to kids who cant handle boks with guns in it but other than that awesome book. exciting funny everything needed to make a book amazng
Kid, 12 years old October 26, 2011

Bud not Buddy

it is a wonderful book and it teaches kids how tough life was back in the 1800's
Teen, 13 years old Written bymomandbro April 9, 2008

Bud Not Buddy

is about a kid on the lam
Kid, 11 years old September 8, 2013

Bud, Not Buddy

Bud, Not Buddy is a historical-fiction taking place during the Great Depression. It talks about a young orphan boy, Bud, wanting to find his father, after his mother passed away. But all he had was rocks and posters as clues of who his father was. As Bud set out to find his father, he runs away from his abusive foster family, meets a man who takes him to Great Rapids, and ends up meeting the man who was actually Bud's grandfather, not his father. I thought this book was an average book because it was easy to read and was really straight-forward. The book just states what was happening, without much suspense. Though the book wasn't the most interesting, the book talks about the struggles and accomplishments that people had during the Great Depression. It is like a mini history textbook written in a kid's point of view. To conclude, I would recommend this book to readers who want something simple, yet educational, to read.
Kid, 10 years old August 5, 2012

My favorite book!

I love this book, and my old 3rd-4th grade teacher (yes, I had the same teacher for 2 years) loves it too. My friend recommended it to me, since she was still reading it at the time and liked it. The book is just so entertaining! During a cheesy 45-minute weekly school library visit, I managed to read 90 pages (we have lots of activities there, so that's quite a lot). It was just that good! In the book, Bud and some people (if I said who he went with, it would be a spoiler) go to a place called the "Laughing Jackass", but that language is expected for the time period. Also, a man tells Bud what the whites are saying about black people on banners on their houses, and he has to "clean up the language" for Bud. One of the words he says is "Negro", so I think you know what the banners actually said. This book is great! -Samantha (chocolatecake123)
Teen, 13 years old Written byAngelcooki March 1, 2012

BEST BOOKI READ IN MY ENTIRE LIFE!!!

The best book I've read in my entire life!!!So touching and sad.
Teen, 14 years old Written byleftbehindcrazed8 January 24, 2012

Amazing!

Great book! I read it in 5th grade with my class and all of us had a great time reading it! The only thing I would point out is that there is some tame violence, such as when Bud's foster parents lock him in a shed for the night, and one innocent kiss between two ten-year-olds. This will keep kids laughing and grasping onto it until the last page! Great pick for kids :-D
Kid, 12 years old December 8, 2011