All member reviews for By the Time You Read This, I'll Be Dead

Teen, 15 years old Written bygarnesab April 16, 2011

i loved this book i liked the fact that they just leave to think what you want at the end.
Kid, 12 years old May 10, 2011

Good

I loved it n im onlyy 12! I read it for my book reportr n yeahh it was greaTT!!!
Teen, 17 years old Written bystarinatstars03 February 26, 2010

*****

The main character wants to kill herself. Guess what parents, most teens DO think about suicide. Give them this book. Let them read it. Let them be horrified by it. Let them learn that it's not an answer. And let it teach them what cruelty can push kids toward.
Teen, 15 years old Written bySasuSaku-Baby-Maniac October 14, 2010

For anyone who has ever dealt with bullying, this is a must read.

As someone who can relate to Daelyn and as a lover of literature, I enjoyed this book thoroughly.
Teen, 14 years old Written byNorthernNights June 7, 2010

Its all true

I felt so bad for her! I cried through a few chapters. I've thought about it too, but I'm too scared about if it would hurt, hurting my family, and where I'd end up after. I've gained a lot of weight too, and my own family (thats full of model like people) admitted I'm not the 'best' looking.. I won't call her stupid for wanting to kill herself, people are stupid, for not caring about her like they should. Nobody deserves the kind of ridicue she had to go through. I wouldn't let a kid with depression read this because it would set off an example of how cruel the world can be and make them want to leave it more, besides it would give them ideas.. Its not just teens that get depressed either by the way, I've been depressed sinse 3rd grade.. so parents don't think your kids are okay at that age. And by the point of being tortured like Daelyn has, she'll forget how to love, believe me. I haven't hugged my mom sinse I was 6. (I'm not making the deal about me, I'm just making examples)
Teen, 15 years old Written byRachelC05 March 4, 2013

By the time you read this i'll be dead. REVIEW.

I thought that it was a good idea of what some kids go through when getting bullied. It's really detailed and gives you the idea what was going through her mind and how she feels. I imagine a lot of kids can relate. And Know they are not the only ones going through it.
Teen, 15 years old Written bydorkily July 4, 2011

I can relate.

It is a brilliant story. People should read this book so that they can be educated about others suffering the way Daelyn was. I know how she feels and throughout the chapters I was nodding my head in agreement and also tearing up, knowing that at least she had someone there for her. I know how she feels and that isn't entirely pleasant.
Teen, 15 years old Written bySky Could Be Blue December 5, 2010

Not for younger kids.

For those of you who have read 13 Reasons Why, this book is waaaay better. The main character isn't half as whiny. The most disturbing part of the book is the website describing ways to off yourself. It was a fairly good read and in the end, the character's choice leaves an impression on the reader. I enjoyed it. It's an especially good read for victims of bullying (I was one myself). Parents, if your kid is known to be suicidal, don't let them read this. It's pretty explicit on ways to kill yourself.
Teen, 13 years old Written byDoodles123 April 6, 2010

perfect for 12 +

some of the people in this book are not such great role models. some kids do think suicidal while others don't give your child this book and let them decide which chose they think is best. but dont deffinitley dont let them kill themselves! this book can teach people alot
Teen, 16 years old Written byTamara_T December 3, 2011

Must Read

I really loved this book. It shows that the kid that you talked about behind her back, or the kid that gets bullied and you dont stop it might have enough going on in their life. The reason I chose educational for this book is because it can show kids that this can happen in real life and if your friend is like this, try to help them. The thing I found most interesting in this book is that the author put, in the back of the book, signs of suicidal teens and help organizations which was really nice to see. The only negative in which I put pause to is that the reader has to have a more mature nature, not only for the content, but to truely engage and like the book. All in all a very good book!
Teen, 16 years old Written bytorytrom December 2, 2011

Disturbing but memorable

I am a 17 year old girl and I actually wept while reading this book. It was really traumatizing to read. Despite this, I really enjoyed it and recommend it to anyone over the age of 16 or when appropriate. But really, very disturbing.
Teen, 14 years old Written bytexanbookworm11 February 6, 2011

i loved it! i agree some parts were innapropriate but other than that it was good
Teen, 13 years old Written bymelissaaa_ January 3, 2011

Good Book!

I thought it was a good book and it kept me interested the whole time. It is very realistic. Although I had a hard time realizing what the ending meant, it was still a good book.
Teen, 13 years old Written bysarah19 December 20, 2010

im 13 and this is what i thought of it

i read this book and thought that it was appropreate for ages 13 and up. there is some gross things daelyn says about suicide ect. also fat camps, sexual harresment. i felt this book sent a message as to why its important not to hurt yourself and how every desision you make is going to effect you. its not the best book but it kept me reading. over all a good book.
Teen, 14 years old Written byKeeks In The Di... June 11, 2010

It is a good read and really gets into the mind of a someone who suffers from abuse and depression. WARNING: The girl in this book is suicidal and has attempted suicide. There are parts in the book that tell you different ways to kill yourself and very detailed explainations on how to carry it out.
Teen, 14 years old Written byJTDB May 25, 2013

Cool Book Glorifies Suicide.

You need to be prepared when you read this book to be affected by the sad stories of suicidal teens. You need to be prepared for death. You need to be prepared to face tough life questions that will make you think and even warm to suicide. If your children are suicidal I would strongly reccomend that they choose other reading material. This book makes suicide out to be glorious and by detailing how little pain is involved it makes suicide seem a good choice. The sexual content involves sexual assault on Daelyn in middle school, if I remember correctly, in the boys bathrooms.... The part of the book is not heavily detailed but the idea and the message is there and leaves little to the imagination. This has educational value in the fact that Daelyn sets a very real example of what we, as teenagers can do in a situation like this. The book talks about how counsellors etc. don't work. All they do is make the patient feel different and bad and like they deserve this punishment. The author is very realistic with all the ideas and events in this book and I thouroughly enjoyed reading it even though I disagreed with what the characters do sometimes.
Kid, 10 years old January 16, 2010