All member reviews for Capt. Hook: The Adventures of a Notorious Youth

Exciting but violent -- not for sensitive kids.

Jolly Roger, this was great!

This was a book I loved. It kicked off right away with James going to Eton, and challenging a 'big boy'. This may raise a few red alerts. There is much sword fighting, some whipping, and talk of violence. Then James falls in love with a princess. This raises no concern. There are a few kisses, but nothing extreme. A few concerns would be the violence and the social behavior. I loved this book, but if forced to would rate it ages 10 and up. This was a wonderful book, which I think you'll enjoy it if you read it.
Teen, 14 years old Written bypotato April 9, 2008

The best!!!!

This just might be my favorite book ever- a must read. Definitely.
Teen, 13 years old Written byemmers December 14, 2009

Trying Times

because im a fan of all misunderstood villians like King Jas. Mathews i just had to read this book cause hes just an intereasting caracter hes evilness is cause by so many trying times first off he doesnt have a mom his motherly figure is a family friend he calls Aunt Emily, secondly his dad never sees him, third he gets called a basterd by colleges, and yet seems to me he acts like he embraces it and then seeks some what revenge, to me hes like a younger verision of Dr. Greggory House
Parent of a 6 and 8 year old Written bymimsigal November 22, 2008

A good read for older kids

My daughter was interested in this, as she loves all things Peter Pan. I read it in an afternoon (older readers will have no problem with it) and as an adult, I thoroughly enjoyed it. However, for younger kids, it is a bit violent. If your kids can tell the difference between fantasy and reality, are not prone to nightmares, and enjoy a good adventure story, they will probably love this one. If they get scared easily, I'd avoid it for a bit... poisonous spiders, sword fights, and a guillotine can leave one a bit frightened. More mature younger readers will also be fine with it, less mature older readers will need to be left to the parents judgment.