All member reviews for Chains

Powerful depiction of slavery in 1776 New York.

Parent of a 4, 8, 11, 12, 18, and 18 year old Written byTreythetired April 8, 2011

Amazing!

Well, I can't even find words to describe this story. Although it does include beatings, whippings, and punching women in the face, all just in the Lockton Residence itself, it is a great, heart-touching book. It introduces readers into the horrors of slavery, just like Uncle Tom's Cabin. It also has a fantasatic story line. You share the hardships of Isabel being branded, beaten with a riding crop, smacked and beaten, locked in a potato bin and Mrs. Lockton, excuse my language, being a Try it out yourself, I know you'll love it!
Parent Written byNoNonsenseMom February 2, 2011

Must be a relly good reader to get through this book

My avid 6th grade reader could not "get into" this book. It's a hard read mostly because the language that the author used is Revolution War period based. I read the book through myself and really enjoyed it. The violence mentioned is real, but not raw. The message it portrays is one of reality for a slave girl at the onslaught of the war. Good message of inward and outward strength in the face of real adversity.
Parent of a 11 year old Written byShinysocks May 6, 2011

Teen, 14 years old Written byPoison Ivey October 18, 2009

great book! I finished it in a day!

wow, I've never read a 300 page book in like aday before! Nor have I ever read so long striaght just like that! Chains is a great book, full of action, and hardly anything bad. the CSM review makes it sound a lot more brutal than it really is. I mean the violence is easy to miss, even a cover-to-cover reader like me can skip through it easily, its so subtle. Anyways, its a great book I highly recomend it! And believe me, it's not the kind of book you can put down once you pick it up.
Parent Written byRimesMom December 9, 2014

5th Graders may not be ready for the abuse on a child that is detailed in this book

My 5th grader reads out loud to me after school so we can work on her homework together. I had to stop her several times as my stomach turned and my eyes teared, until I actually had to excuse myself to keep from getting ill during several descriptions in the book of physical abuse, as the story is written very vividly. I do not know if it is appropriate for every 5th grader and wish I had know the content of this book prior to the class starting it together. As a family, we try to limit exposure to violent movies, books and music....so to us, this is a very unsettling book that is REQUIRED as part of a common-core reading program and I would not, on my own, find this appropriate for children under the minimum age of 14.
Kid, 10 years old April 28, 2011

Great book but to intense for smaller kids

Great book- my teacher reccomended it, she also said it was intense- i was littarly crying by the end of it.....
Teen, 13 years old Written byileannec March 23, 2015

A book to read

It's great I read it just now and it was amazing Kids r going to grow up and need to learn everything they can its not just "perfect life no violence so happy". That's just trash. It can be a hard book to understand but u will understand when u start maturing which is NOW!!!
Teen, 13 years old Written byDolphinsrock September 7, 2012

Warning.....but educational

I believe that if your child can handle such violence (refer to Hitler), then it should be okay for your child to read it.
Teen, 14 years old Written bycc2.casey November 10, 2011

Review of Chains

Kid, 12 years old July 15, 2010

vilont but educational

This is a good read but vilont. The vilonce includes beating, death, whipping, starvashion, and talk of lose. But as well as being to vilont for young readers it does have some educational value about slavery.
Teen, 13 years old Written byezmx23 April 21, 2010

amazing book

very good!
Kid, 10 years old September 17, 2009

Love it!

I LOVED this book! I got it last Christmas when I was 10, read it, and loved it! I'm still searching for the sequel, Forge.