All member reviews for Chasing Vermeer

A mystery, fantasy, and imaginative launch pad.

Teen, 15 years old Written byfitzygrl10 September 25, 2011

one of my favorites

A really interesting plot, i enjoyed this book very much. It teaches kids to expand their horizons and look and things in a new light. Petra and Calder are fairly good role models except when they lied to their parents at the end. Overall a must read
Kid, 8 years old August 1, 2010

good plot

I think this book is very good .I love how how you can decode the messages going back and forth between Calder and Tommy.I hear this book will be a motion picture in fall 2011.P.S look out for hidden pentominoes inn the drawings.
Teen, 14 years old Written bybookmarklqj April 9, 2008
Kid, 12 years old September 17, 2009

Chasing Vermeer

Good story; good story. I had to read this book for summer reading, so I didn't really have a choice! The first 9/10 of this book is EXTREMELY mind-numbing. I could die of boredom! But, the final few chapters are very exciting and fun to read. The book educates kids about art and some math. The main characters are good role models, and it has good messages!
Teen, 13 years old Written byMolly B. April 9, 2008
Teen, 15 years old Written byKass April 9, 2008

Not to be missed

When I first saw Chasing Vermeer in the store the same week it was released nearly three years ago, I was instantly intrigued. I read it straightaway. Since then, I've read it an additional half a dozen times and it’s become one of my favorite childhood books. After all, what's not to like? Mature middle school readers will be delightful the two unconventional characters, tossed headfirst into an international art scandal, and left to solve it use patchy clues, intuition, and chance. Furthermore, they’ll undoubtedly be captivated by Blue Balliet’s introductions to Chicago, Johannes Vermeer, Lo!, pentominoes, etc.; so much so, as a matter of fact, that they may chose to do a bit of investigating of their own.
Teen, 13 years old Written bySky is the Limit November 6, 2011

An intriguing art-history-mystery combo

Chasing Vermeer impressed me to say the least. Math is involved, and contradicting what commonsensemedia said, I think Petra and Calder are good role models. They are determined, intelligent, a little quiet, and not afraid to be themselves. Yes, they lie to their parents and sneak out, but there are consequences to their actions (almost getting burned up inside a building). Both Petra and Calder are from a mish-mash of cultures and racial backgrounds, and it's really quite refreshing to see two unique characters in one book. Calder is pushed off of a slide and is hurt, but it's not graphic. A bully in their class makes some snide comments but nothing really to worry about here.
Teen, 13 years old Written bymysterygirl99 October 9, 2010

perfect for ages 12 and up

It is awesome. Has some inappropriate stuff, but very good.
Kid, 10 years old February 17, 2010

Educator and Parent of a 11 and 13 year old Written byitseeker December 26, 2009

Perfect for tweens, but younger kids may not be able to follw the story line

Suspenseful and Marvelous

This was a good book, period.
Teen, 14 years old Written byTaphari'sbaegirl March 16, 2012

Chasing vermeer

I think that this book is really intersting and that they should read it to see what happeneds in the story... Maybe they would get interesting in that book....
Kid, 11 years old September 18, 2010

perfect for all ages.

love it awsome you should try it whoever is reading this.
Kid, 11 years old May 24, 2009

a mystery????????

well to start off this book is about where these kids get these letters and they are on a mission trying to solve the vermeer painting and they cant show anyone or tell anyone about the letter. if they do they will face the consequences. try to solve the mystery!

A Gotta-have book!

Who stole Vermeer's art work????? This story is a mystery kind of like CLUE... There are mysteries and answers on every page!!!!!!!!!!! It's a must read for every age
Teen, 13 years old Written byschuymarch1 April 9, 2008

A must read book for anyone...

This book is real exciting. I really like mystery novels, so this was perfect for me.
Teen, 13 years old Written bypauli43 April 9, 2008

Adult Written byyara_younan@yah... January 21, 2015

Love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It was the best book i ever read+ i love mysteries
Adult Written byunknown person June 10, 2011

A mystery must-read

A superior book. Like fish caught in a hook, it draws you in. This is a must-read. Fantasy-lovers will even devour this book.