All teen and kid member reviews for Chew on This

Teen, 13 years old Written bysillysasha123 April 24, 2014

Exellent book!!

Overall this was a great book! it is truly an eye opener. I did like some fast food occasionaly but after reading this, i have never eaten a chicken nugget again! Not that it will necessarly kill you, but Chew on This shows the repulsive way the nuggets are made!! If only every American on earth would read this. Maybe we would have an even healthier nation!!
Teen, 13 years old Written bynorthpark April 9, 2008

Teen, 16 years old Written byKTmckay April 9, 2008

Student Review for Chew On This

Chew On This is getting many praises. But for what? everyone knows what is going on in the fast-food industry. We're just choosing not to acknowledge these "truths" Every student except for two in my classes dreaded reading the book for our summer reading. No high school student cared what was in our food or what fast food chain used what company for potatoes. So they use an ingredient from bugs in strawberry milkshakes. Nothing will be able to stop a high school student from having what they like. I never finished reading it. I had to force myself to read through the introduction. This book was full of dry information with dull "facts". Call me ignorant, but i live in reality where no book is powerful enough to start boycotts on fast-food. Nothing will change and this dull sligtly fictional book is not going to make a slight difference. Do yourself a favor: don't buy this book, and if you are concerned about fast food- just don't eat it! And as principal for your school or in charge of your school district, do your school(s) a favor: don't buy this book, or you will see kids wih chickfila bags and reluctant english students with less than perfect scores.
Teen, 13 years old Written byiasd December 6, 2013

Perfect Opinion

The book is okay to young adults, tweens, teens. But it is kind harsh to the kinds, because it shows some nasty pics.
Kid, 8 years old April 14, 2012

truth for fast-food fans

Incredible it is, how we know almost nothing about the food we eat almost every week.I have only eaten twice at a fast-food restaurant , but still I wanted to go back. I now know better and I know what the makers put in the food.
Teen, 13 years old Written byJcsierra1 January 29, 2012

A Should Read for All Those Willing to Hear the Truth

This book really opens up children's eyes to advertisement as well as consumerism.
Teen, 13 years old Written byNetflixAddict September 16, 2011

Intriguing for anyone, but too watered down to be the best version for older readers

So far I am mostly liking this. I got it because I was like borderline-intrigued (WAY MORE THAN I EXPECTED) by Schlosser's previous work Fast Food Nation. This one is tamer in most ways (beside the million commercial references like before), but some stuff (i.e., factory dangers/risks of slaughtering, meth use, etc.) would belong but is too watered down (which is why it's 3 stars instead of 5, but at least it's OK for younger kids). If you are a adult or teen (let's say 12+) go with Fast Food Nation. It's a lot more explicit but you probably won't be offended or scared too much.
Kid, 11 years old January 12, 2010

Perfect Book

I think this book is very educational for kids and adults cause it teaches you some of the weirdest things but they are things that someone would never tell you in person plus you get the idea to not go to McDonald's cause you see how they treat there employees and how they treat there food. To me this may be the best book for kids ever. I think all kids all over the world should read this.
Teen, 15 years old Written byveggie_friend July 8, 2009

Teen, 13 years old Written bySkullie June 29, 2009

^__^ AMAZING!!!!

I *L*O*V*E*D* this book! It was amazing in my view, I feel that it took me where I wanted to go within fastfood places. It shows history, facts, causes, ect of fastfood. Not everyone will enjoy this book because it may ruin their view on the fastfood they loved, or it may get 'gross'. But for someone like me it was perfect, I like the truth and that is what it gave me ^__^
Teen, 16 years old Written byfarmgrown March 31, 2009

A Student's View Point

I had to read this book for my language class. We had a number of high point assignments based off of it, so I had no choice in the matter of whether to read it or not. I was born and raised on a beef farm and we also have chickens. This book is biased and unfair to small farmers like my father. It is also written in a manner that is not necessary for competent tenth graders. We can definitely handle the full on version of Fast Food Nation for any teachers out there wondering. You must understand that not all, in fact, many farms are NOT at all inhumane or bad to their animals. I am very disappointed by this author and frustrated with my teacher for making us read such childish materials.
Teen, 13 years old Written bygamecubefreak32 April 9, 2008

Must Read witty book about the fast food industry...

This book is an excellent look on fast food's impact on society. The invention of the hamburger, the role of soda in toothless Yupik Eskimos, the people behind the counter of a McDonalds, the teen getting gastric bypass, how McNuggets are made...it's all here. Chew On Thishas some gross content like depiction of a slaughterhouse and organs that were damaged from fast food, but I really think that this book was awesome! Five stars, hands down!
Teen, 13 years old Written bygaa April 9, 2008

Teen, 13 years old Written bykkzozo987 April 9, 2008

this book teachests lot of stuff

this book is good for all ages. After I read this book i never wanted to go to another fast food reatrount. it trachers You about the smille and the counter of your favoret fast food place. You will never regret reading this book.

Very Interesting

I really liked this book,it tells you a lot about how fastfood harms us.The book amazed me when I first read it.Because I was younger and I had no idea how terrible fast food was.Sure I knew it was bad for you,but I did not know how bad.this really opens a window for kids my age.Read it!