All member reviews for City of Lost Souls: The Mortal Instruments, Book 5

Bloody bestselling fantasy series gets steamier.

Teen, 17 years old Written byJ-Yo May 29, 2012

Just as good as the others

I admit, this book is steamier than the others. However, it has not lost its appeal or charm. The Mortal Instruments is one of my all-time favorite book series, and Clare only grows as a writer. Parents should be aware that for once, out of five books in the series and the two released prequels, there is implied sex. There is also a strange, somewhat disturbing, scene between a lustful brother and protesting sister (nothing "bad" happens). The violence is similar to the first four, but the messages about love and still being yourself while in love are the standout parts of this book. Plus the magic. That's always the best part.
Teen, 13 years old Written bynovah2ochick July 9, 2012

Put down your book and go buy this series!

This book is amazing, the whole series is! I find it better than The Hunger Games, Divergent, and Matched.....an that means it's REALLY good! If your kids are mature, don't worry about letting them read this....it is an amazing story and cannot be missed.
Teen, 17 years old Written byabbacus November 13, 2012

Really good!

I thought this book was really good. I liked it better than "Fallen Angles" but not better than the other 3 books earlier in the series. This book focused a little more on love and the characters personal relationships (making it more sexual than the others). The story may have been a little slow and strung-out. I thought the ending battle scene was great. I like how Clare ended the book with the possibility that the evil Sebastian is coming back. Do I smell the making of a sixth book?......I hope so! Although, I was kind of bummed that *possible spoiler alert* Magnus left Alec in the end. I would give this book 4 and a half out of 5 stars.
Educator and Parent Written byMs.candice.duncan March 6, 2013

Fantastic series! Kids will love Clare's books!

It is a great book. Cassandra Clare is an amazing author with the ability to draw in reader's. The characters in this series are mesmerizing. I actually read these, (in fact, I couldn't put them down), and I am in love with them. They are for a slightly more mature reader. I would feel comfortable letting my own kids read them at any age they wanted to. However, I know some parents would be concerned about some of the situations that arise in the book. There are allusions to sex, some heavy romantic scenes, and references to drug use (not actual drugs, but "fairy drugs"). There is never anything that is actually explicitly stated in the book; however, kids can get a pretty idea of what Clare is alluding to. As an educator, I do not have a problem letting my 7th graders read these. They see and hear far worse on television and radio. I am more cautious with my 6th graders. I make sure to let them know what they will encounter. Most are voracious readers, and used to much more pg-13 scenes than are presented in Clare's work. I have requested letters of parent approval for a few students just to be on the safe side. The main character, Clary Fray, is a great role model for young teen girls. These books remind me of a cross between Twilight and Harry Potter. The bottom line: a great read for kid's who need a book (series, she's written almost 10 books now!) to love. Kid's will become absorbed in these. I am far more concerned with that than worrying about them encountering a PG-13 scene.
Teen, 17 years old Written bysofii0507 October 26, 2012

great book to start off teen world

ive read this book and it is very interesting and age appropriate for the rating i have given. parents need to realize that kids these days are not as innocent as they were before! parents need to trust their kids, and open them up to new things! just because they are reading it, doesnt mean they are doing it! chances are your kids are doing things behind your back that you may not approve of, and when they are with their friends, you cant control them! you just have to trust them enough to set them free in to real life and not lollipop and rainbow land that you wish this world was! this book shows what love is, and what its not. and it also shows reality! clary has had her whole real life hidden from her because her mother thinks her daughter isnt ready for the shadowhunter world, but once clary is in it, she handles it fine!
Kid, 12 years old April 16, 2014

Great book! FIVE STARS!!! Some spoilers ahead:

The fifth book is the most violent of all. Lots of blood is drawn during fighting between Shadowhunters and Demons, and there are even more steamy moments between teens than the first four books. Two characters are connected, and one is completely controlled under the others power and does things to hurt his girlfriend. A girl's mental, evil brother tries to kiss her, but she resists and tries to fight him, thus getting cut up. Characters are brave, and selfless, the main character gets drunk not deliberately and hallucinates seeing bloody corpses. The world is based on Nephilium and mentions the Bible, but not much educational value. There are also supernatural creatures such as werewolves and vampires and more than a few colorful curses. The book's messages include sticking up for what you believe in and never giving up. Some label brands are mentioned. Great book, but very visual. I was eleven when I read this, and it was a bit shocking during some parts. Can't wait for the sequel in May.
Parent of a 2 year old Written byellereadsbooks September 4, 2013

Good for Older Teens

By far the most mature in this series. The sex, drinking, drug use, and violence are all elevated. While entertaining for older teens, this may not be appropriate for your tweens or early teens.
Kid, 12 years old August 28, 2013

Amazing book, Must-Read

A little bit of language, a lot of violence, and lots of kissing. A couple of teenagers drinking, but great book. Teens are brave stick up for what they believe in, educational value includes terms such as Nephilim and Angel, and the message of love, friendship, and family. Can't wait for sequel
Teen, 13 years old Written byseaotter77 November 7, 2012

Amazing book!

This is another great book in The Mortal Instruments series that will leave readers begging for the final installment. However, the sex and romance in this book are escalated! There are a lot of couples (one gay) with make out scenes. There is also a lot of violence, as well as some drinking and drugs. I think that kids 13 and up could handle the material, but it depends on the family.
Teen, 13 years old Written byRiverRose June 13, 2014

Good, but you should know what you are in for.....

This book had much more romance than the past ones. I feel like the first several books, though they had kissing, were much more PG than this. I felt myself blushing and looking away from this book many times. I felt uncomfortable with many of the kissing scenes, for although they had them in earlier books, Clary is now much more vocal about her longing for more. There is a scene where they do drugs, fairy drugs, but Clary describes a sense of euphoria and later serious hallucinations because of it nonetheless. I want to warn readers and parents, this book is very vivid. It describes every detail of every scene including stabbing and kissing. There is a lot of violence in this book, though not nearly as much as in the others. Clary describes her longing to do more than just kiss with Jace, and there is a scene where their half-nudity is described. There is also a scene with another couple that makes it clear that there is nudity, and more than kissing is mentioned though not described. There is a conversation between Clary and Isabelle regarding protection, but the line is not crossed in this book. All of the uncomfortable moments aside, this really is a good book, I finished it because I have gotten to care about the characters, and I want to know what happens to them. They quote the Bible and use latin phrases often in the book, and there are quotes at the beginning of each section which adds some, though not a lot, of educational value to these novels. They also force you to look at what makes a person evil- nature vs. nurture. It forces you to think of the evergoing battle between good and bad. Nonetheless, I feel like you really have to know your comfort zone or your child's in order to know how they might react to all of the vivid descriptions, Cassandra Clare did not write these books for young children, she recommends them for teens fourteen and up. I would say fifteen is more appropriate though, this has vivid imagery that many teens should wait to read....
Kid, 11 years old March 26, 2013

Awesome!!

This is a great book!! One of my favorites!! My 5th grade teacher had it on her shelves and when I read them, I was hooked! Some parents say it's too "grown up" but I think as long as kids understand it and won't giggle anytime kissing or love is mentioned, they're old enough. I love the characters and the plot. I'm not so patiently waiting for the sixth book to come out. There was one disturbing scene between brother and sister but I'm not going to talk about it because I would be spoiling the book.
Kid, 12 years old November 4, 2014

Fine, for mature readers

I read this when I was 11 and some points got a little intense but I could handle it. As long as you know your kid this should be fine.
Kid, 12 years old January 3, 2013

City of Lost Souls Review

Great book filled with a couple of kissy scenes.