All member reviews for Clockwork Angel: Infernal Devices, Book 1

Victorian-era fantasy series starts with plenty of violence.

Teen, 13 years old Written bybandgeek8 September 3, 2011

Nice way to start the trilogy

I read this and couldn't put it down. I really like Tessa. SPOILER! when Tessa "stabbed' herself my heart dropped. I had to know what would happen next. You can totally tell that Will is related to Jace. END OF SPOILER! I like the mystery and elegance that is in it because of it taking place in 1800s London
Parent of a 14 year old Written byCynjit April 16, 2011

Great book for teens into fantasy!

Although it has violence, it has good strong characters and an interesting story line that will keep kids reading. There isn't a lot of sexual talk or bad language.
Teen, 17 years old Written byBook Reviewer May 18, 2014

Great!

This is a great book for teens or more mature children (although I don't recommend any kid below 10). It's a action/adventure book that keeps you in suspense. Although there is a lot of violence, it doesn't go into much detail about deaths. One of the main characters is dependent on a drug to live but it isn't focused on a lot in this book. Swearing is limited. I found book this particularly interesting as it is set in London, 1878. And I love the magical warrior like thing. If you or your kid likes that kind of thing than this is perfect. Tessa also is on a self discovery journey that everyone experiences so she is a great role model and very relatable.
Teen, 14 years old Written bytwin4lyfe April 14, 2011

perfect 4 kids

i really think that you should let ur kids read this book. i attended G.L.H JOHNSON WHEN I WAS in the 5th grade.
Teen, 15 years old Written byBookworm.Cotas March 2, 2015

infernal devices book 1

I think it's appropriate, (despite the violence) for ages 10 and up, because I myself was a ten year old when I first read this book, I was deeply hooked and I cannot stop reading until I finished the whole book.
Teen, 14 years old Written byEmilyTheBunny September 25, 2014

Cassandra Clare strikes again

I would not recommend this book for IMMATURE readers, if your child is 10 and can handle it, sign them up! If their 14 and can't handle it, that's alright, get a different selection. This book may leave your child under the covers at night reading! Also awesome for young adults, adults, teens, ect. Bloody scenes, minor. No sex at all, just kissing and small verbal speech that may get somewhere in the, "sexual" zone, minor. Language, not so much. Nothing major! Some drinking, not bad. And some gambling, not bad. This book is amazing. Great role models! I COMPLETELY recommend this book for you!
Teen, 14 years old Written bypoopeyhead June 18, 2012

ablutions

bethany copied her book review
Parent Written byShadesOfRemorse June 15, 2012

Great read!

I, personally, loved it. My children read this and it is fine in my opinion. Although I am not a huge fan of neither her style of writing nor the genre, it was engaging.
Teen, 15 years old Written byjustareader September 5, 2013

Amazing series!

I absolutely loved this series. It's a little violent for younger audiences, but is perfect for the older kids and teenagers.
Parent of a 10 and 13 year old Written bydlorenz May 17, 2013

One of my daughter's favourite books

My daughter (age 12) loved this book and has literally flown through the series, completely going bananas over the last book! I love to see a book engage her this much! I read the first and second book and thought they were quite addicting and I could see how she was hooked. Haven't read the last book.... there is a HUGE waiting list for it at our library! :)
Teen, 14 years old Written byBookworm_96 May 27, 2011

Veeery good book

I thought this book was absolutely phenomenal. I only have like two chapters left. But this book is wonderful and very addicting. It resembels The Mortal Instruments Series a lot which is why I think I fell in love with it. I recomend it to anyone and everyone!
Teen, 15 years old Written byLabrandi April 21, 2011
Teen, 14 years old Written byyoumundanefools August 16, 2014

Good Book!

I read it a quarter of the way through and got bored. I started reading it again and got whisked away into the world of Tessa Gray. I recommend it to all fans of Cassandra's books.
Teen, 17 years old Written byabbacus March 10, 2013

Amazing!!!!!!

I loved this book!!!!! After reading The Mortal Instruments books (which this series is the prequel to) I was so in love with Cassandra Clare that I immediately picked up this book! And I am not disappointed at all!!! I will try not to compare this book to The Mortal Instruments, however, because that would be comparing a whole book series (which is my favorite book series) to just this one book. I liked pretty much everything about it. I am in love with the artwork on the cover of this book. I don't really know why I like it so much, I am just drawn to it for some reason. (: The characters, I thought, were the best part of this book. They were very developed and very interesting to learn about throughout the story. It was also very cool to see a few characters from TMI (like Magnus and Camille) back. The setting of London in the 1800's was wonderful! It worked so well for the book! The story gets interesting right away. There was some witty humor, although not as laugh-out-loud funny as in TMI. The ending scene could have been better. And the Epilogue at the very end of the book ends with such a cliff-hanger. For parents - there is a lot of violence (most of it being pretty bloody), a few characters die, a little sexual innuendo, some mild language like "h-ll" and "d-mn" (used in the proper context), some talk of drinking/drunkness, and one character has to take a drug as medicine to stay alive. This book is perfect for older teens and adults! I actually think that this book will be more pleasing to adults than TMI books, though I'm not sure I can say the same about teens. I highly recommend you read this book! Especially if you liked TMI series. I will definitely keep reading!!!! Keep 'em coming Cassandra!!!!
Teen, 13 years old Written byseaotter77 November 6, 2012

Extraordinary book!

This book is one of my favorites. I really love all the characters, and the setting (Victorian era) contributes a lot to the plot. There is some violence and fighting as well as alcohol. One of the characters needs opium to dispel a curse and keep himself alive. There is also minor references to romantic affairs with several women. Overall, this book is appropriate for ages 13 and up.
Teen, 14 years old Written byLuckyReads June 27, 2012

So-so

I wasn't really into fantasy when I read this, so I didn't think it was over-the-top, but if you are in the mood for it, go for it. I wasn't dying to read it, though.
Teen, 16 years old Written bymathman12342011 February 2, 2012

Awsome!!!

It does have a lot of violence, but it isn't too bad. There is some language that I don't approve of, but I still loved the book.
Kid, 10 years old January 11, 2012

Amazing book! Beware you will become unable to put this book down!

Amazing book! I have not many chapters left and the characters are lovable! Tessa is an amazing role model who accepts being tortured to save her brother... Tessa's brother, Nate is an alcoholic and gambles, but I think that is okay. There is a mention of a brothel a few swears but not major swears. Amazing amazing book!
Parent of a 12 and 14 year old Written bypatriciap63 April 7, 2011

story will hook you

Great beginning to the series. Fast paced and interesting
Kid, 12 years old April 28, 2012

clockwork angel review

i'm very young i love this book. well the only sex in this book is kissing i do warn that there are vampires and very little blood i do not recon this book to anyone younger than twelve