All member reviews for Code Name Verity

Plot-twisting, heart-wrenching, unforgettable WWII story.

Parent of a 10 year old Written byrsbrandt August 22, 2013

Excellent book for mature readers

I bought this book for myself after reading a strong review. I will definitely save it for my now 10-year-old daughter, but I'll be saving it for several years. The characters are wonderful, and it's a powerful story. I would have loved it as a teen! I would recommend it to readers who are ready to digest frightening and morally challenging situations to be rewarded by a memorable story.
Teen, 13 years old Written byHpotter15 June 18, 2013

Great Book!

Like all war books, pinpointing the appropriate age to read this book is difficult. I read this book at the age of 12 and couldn't put it down, This is a very well written book. For kids who are easily emotionally effected, I would not recommend the book. However later in time I feel it should be revisited. "Code Name Verity" Is practically two books in one, told first by the point of view of the main character Verity herself and then by her friend and pilot for the mission Kittyhawk. This builds a very strong emotional link between the two friends. The smoking is is very timely for the setting but there is no drug use. As far as sex goes, there is none. There is a brief talk of the main character menstruating but it is very brief. The violence is quite relevant to the story line and fairly brutal giving the fact that Verity is being held hostage by Nazis, But I do not feel that it is overdone. The language is there, but not terribly frequent. This book has great role models especially giving the fact that it was rare for women to go into action during world war two. Overall I feel this is a great read and will still interest girls who don't like historical fiction. (I know I don't) Hope this helps! -Hpotter15
Adult Written bysecrets1 October 24, 2014

Amazing!

Very well written with many good examples of writing techniques.
Educator and Parent of a 9 and 9 year old Written bylisajust April 29, 2014

An Historical Fiction Page-Turner with Strong Female Characters!

Code Name Verity explores the friendship of two women who meet through their jobs in the Air Transport Auxillary during World War II. Sounds boring? Well, it is anything but boring. It's a fast-paced novel told in the alternating voices, of the two women. Maddie is an unlikely female pilot, and Queenie is a radio operator, and translator (and perhaps has another job?). Wein provides lots of historical details about occupied France when the Gestapo took over, and gives us two strong female characters. There is a bit of cursing in the book (it is war after all - epithets like "gosh" and "darn" would not fit the setting), and some violence. I'm not really sure why it is marketed as a YA novel, since many adults will enjoy reading this book as well. I would recommend it for high school-aged readers and older.
Teen, 14 years old Written byworldwar2 October 27, 2014

Thought-Provoker...

As I read this book, I thought it was overhyped and that wasn't that good. Until it shed some more light on the cruelty of war. It brings war to life in an unsettling but realistic way. But I think that it should only be read by mature 12 year olds because it could easily upset younger less mature teens.