All member reviews for Copper Sun

Raw, well-researched story of young slave girl.

Teen, 13 years old Written bygroovyrrr August 12, 2009

AWESOME READ

LOVE IT THIS BOOK IS AWESUM!!! i highly recomend its educational but at the same time interesting. the messsage is perfect there is nothing inapropriate about it and it informs you alot more than what little they tell you in school.
Kid, 12 years old April 9, 2009

Copper Sun by Sharon Draper

This is a great book that any teen as well as adult should read. From the Common Sense review I thought it would be a lot more violent. I wasn't sure if I should read it and I past it up a lot in the library, but I finally picked it up and I'm glad I did. None of the violent stuff was overly descriptive. It was an awesome book.
Teen, 14 years old Written bypeazekeeper95 January 23, 2010

Loved IT!!!!!!!!!!
Teen, 14 years old Written bysupercaliey March 8, 2010

the most inportant message(:

i had to read this book in my eighth grade reading class. my teacher and fellow classmates got really into the book. we read a few chapters and then had disscusion and we would try to predict what would happen. this book it very good. and it sends out an AMAZING message to all people, young or old, black or white, anything is possible if you set your mind to it. you have to belive in yourself.
Adult Written byKate_ee May 1, 2011

Worst novel I have ever read.

Loathed this book. I think it was the worst novel I have ever wasted hours of my life reading. There are much more valuable novels available that address similar topics, with significantly fewer absurd circumstances offered for young adults to believe. Draper seems determined to throw as many impossibilities as possible into the novel with no regard for how skewed an impression of actual events would have unfolded once the story hits American soil. The only elements that could be believed were the elements of cruelty, as well as the manner in which Amari ends up on the ship. From the moment she gets on the ship it deteriorates, and enters a fantasy that only has elements of reality.
Teen, 14 years old Written byThornHearts November 3, 2011

THe best I ever read from Sharon M. Draper

Teen, 16 years old Written byJBrauer17 June 8, 2011

Copper Sun

Copper sun is a phenomenal book. It gives readers an overall view of how brutally slaves were treated. It will make your stomach wrench and your heart sob. It truly is a fantastic book and its very educational.
Teen, 13 years old Written byballet girl April 18, 2009

Its a great book

I love this book. Some parts of the book have some very sad and violent parts. Once you start to read it it's a page turner. When I read this book I felt really sorry for the slaves back in the days. It really got me thinking about how we are soo lucky now.
Teen, 13 years old Written byRebecca.Miller June 28, 2011

Best book I read for a school assignment

I had to read this for a school assignment. It was one of the best books that I've read.
Parent Written byKelly498 January 31, 2012

Great Novel, but Not for kids younger than 13

I believe that this book i a wonderful novel, but there are many things about it that maybe my children shouldn't get as detailed with or even know about. My 12 year old daughter asked me if she can read it and i beleive that maybe 13 or 14 would be a better age to read it. Other than that i believe that this was a great book that really has a strong message; Never give up hope
Teen, 14 years old Written byI love the book... April 3, 2011

Best book I read for school

I had to read this book in my eight grade class also and it was the best book I have ever read for school. Copper Sun is very educational and it helped you truly understand the torture Africans had to live through in the days of slavery. It also gave us a positive message to never give up hope and to not judge people based on what skin color they have. I loved this book and I couldn't put it down!
Parent Written byluvmybooksandtoys August 15, 2012

Not sure about this book.

Surprising what most of the teens said about the book - that it was so good. I wonder what I would have thought of it as a teenager. Probably the repeated rapes would not have really registered for what they were on my teen aged mind. Once one is an adult with teenaged girls, the whole situation becomes quite different. So it may be OK for my kid to read. I'm not sure. I am very disturbed that this is required reading for my daughter at age 14 and will speak to the school about waiving the requirement for her. She is starting to suffer from anxiety and I don't think reading this book will help. I didn't have to tolerate bad fiction as a child in order to understand the cruelty of slavery. Furthermore the happy ending adds a strange feel-good aspect to the story that seems out of place.
Adult Written byelainacarlisle February 2, 2015

Parent Written byMomTeacherReader December 23, 2014

Beautiful, truthful depiction of slavery!

This is a great book for eight graders to study at the end of the year as they are learning about slavery and the Civil War. It isn't sugar coated , and readers get a true picture of how devastating it was for human beings to be stolen from their native country, watch their families and communities murdered, and then be shipped to America to be sold as slaves. Draper writes of a young girl of fifteen who endures repeated rapes (no graphic details or descriptions) whippings and the horrors and devastation of American slavery. A humanizing tale that shows young readers why we call slavery "the stain on the history of our nation."
Teen, 13 years old Written byLilyLynne April 25, 2014

Eye-opener

This book is not a true story, but things that happen in the story were part of life for slaves. It made me aware of how much slaves really suffered, although i will never truly know what it feels like. No one under the age of 13 or 14 should read this because of the violence and sexual matter. Most of an African village is slaughtered. Slaves are whipped, beaten, branded, forced into unlivable circumstances, a slave's child is forced to be 'crocodile bait' but isn't harmed. Women are stripped down and forced to dance for the enjoyment of a slave ship's crew. Sailors aboard the ship choose black women to rape. Slaves jump off the side of the ship because life is too painful for them. The main character, Amari is bought by Mr. Derby as a birthday present for his son, Clay. Clay is 16, and he rapes Amari for his enjoyment all the time, but only one or two occasions are spoken of. No descriptions are given in the rapes of anyone. A slave is shot after Mr. Darby discovers that the slave was the father of the child mrs. Darby gives birth to, then shoots the newborn child. Eventually, amari and a couple other slaves escape to freedom. Just after arriving at their new home where they will be free, amari discovers she is pregnant with clay's child, and Amari is only 15. I cried at several points in this book, it was very meaningful, and a learning experience. Amari gets through a lot of tragedy and overcomes fear. She is an incredibly courageous person.
Teen, 13 years old Written byBookWorm220 December 31, 2013

Spectacular!

I really enjoyed this book, it was always interesting. Just when I thought I knew what was going to happen a new twist was added. But, at the same time it is really deep, Draper does a wonderful job of pulling you into the story. I found myself picturing the story in my mind as I read. I think that the book does a very good job of showing how horrific and terrible the slave trade was while at the same time, keeping it appropriate for young adults. This book left me wanting to know more about the time, and especially the slave trade. I would strongly recommend this book to anyone who enjoys historical fiction and adventure. Enjoy!