All member reviews for Coraline

Strange, surreal tale sure to creep kids out.

Kid, 10 years old August 16, 2009

Best Neil Gaiman Book EVER!

This book is AMAZING!Some parts are a little creepy (other mother right hand!), but its a really great book! The plot is very intresting and the charecters are very smart. You must read this book!

you will never think of buttons in the same way again!

i LOVED this book but dont read it at night its REALLY creeeepy and kindof disturbing yet awesome. there was just this one part that scared me half 2 death: when Coraline went through the trap door and found the banished Other father...(shiver) i dont even wanna write about that scene, so go read it 4 urself lol. i didnt like how the author never really wrote about how Coraline felt, so i got the feeling that she was just calm throughout the whole thing...i would have been terrified to if i was her. i liked how he used marbles to symbolize the souls of the imprisoned children though. there was something special about the first marble, read carefully about the boy child to figure it out. the picture on the cover is also kindof creepy if u look close. i spent like 5 minutes just staring at it b4 i even started the book! this book was VERY freaky and kinda scary but just the right amount of depth. i liked the illustrations cuz they were so different than how i pictured things. overall, one word describes Coraline: FREAKISHLYAWESOMETASTICSPOOKYLICIOUS!!
Parent of a 1 and 6 year old Written byjandrewworld June 19, 2010

I think it really depends on your child when they should read it.

Before the film came out, on my little girl's 5th birthday, we read the book together. I had actually bought the book when I was dating my wife. Children do not see it as scary as adults see it. In fact, they see it as a wonderful adventure, where it gives some adults nightmares. I think the quote at the beginning of the book, describes it the best; "It's not that we teach children that dragons are real, but we teach them dragons can be defeated."
Teen, 13 years old Written bycolorsgirl May 21, 2012

Fun story, disturbing implications

I think it's the first time CSM has ever given something a rating that's too low. Coraline isn't violent, sexual or inappropriate in any way other than the fact that it is utterly disturbing. Younger kids of average intelligence who read the book might be a bit scared of the other mother, but at 8yo they should be old enough to know that she's not real. If you have a gifted 8yo though, they will most likely understand the implications of sewing buttons into someone's eyes. The saying 'the eyes are windows to the soul' is fitting here. The other mother is literally trying to steal Coraline's soul, a concept that is frightening and hard to comprehend. I think this is more of a 'ten and up' book, especially because children will get more out of it if they truly understand the story and the messages of being grateful. At 13 this is one of my favorite books, but when I was younger I just thought it was weird. It's a fantastic story but don't assume it's ok just because it's a kids' book. Coraline (the movie) and Hp6 (which features zombies) are both rated PG. If your child really wants to read it, I highly reccomend reading it first and deciding for yourself. A summary doesn't really cover the many layers. Coraline is a fantastic female role-model, but this is one of those books (like The Boy in the Striped Pajamas) where the age of the main character shouldn't be the same as the age of the reader.
Kid, 9 years old August 1, 2011

Excellent book.

If your looking for a horror book besides 'Goosebumps' this is the one. I like the art, the lessons about being brave and such.
Teen, 13 years old Written bytimmphy do June 7, 2010
pretty weird!!!!!!!
Kid, 9 years old April 17, 2014

Good, but absolutely terrifying!

Really terrifying, but no sex, language, and no consumerism. Would rate it 4.5 stars if I could. Read this about 6 months ago. Definitely do not let your kid that's under 10 read story, but teaches bravery and tells kids that they couldn't do anything without their family. Kids might get freaked out because of the children's souls and walking hands and other haunted house elements and a rat is decapitated by a cat! WARNING: You will hate buttons after this and kids will always want to close the window!
Kid, 11 years old June 13, 2011

Scarier than the movie but I love it!!!

Well I wouldn't want to say this is a book for 8 year olds either because you turn 8 when you are in 2nd grade, even 2nd graders would be afraid of the book and the movie. I read the book and I watched the movie, Just want to let you know this is too scary for kids under 10 so 4th graders can read this book, 3rd graders can but they will be too scared. But I love Coraline!!!
Kid, 10 years old June 5, 2011

I heart this book!

I luv this. I recently checked it out of my local library. Coraline is pretty much a good role model since she goes through anything and everything to save her parents. The cat is also good, since any other one would just sit around and wait for *SPOILER* Coraline to be killed and eaten. Coraline learns to appreciate her parents. Yeah, the book is great, but kind of spooky when you consider that the "other" father *SPOILER* is manipulated to try to kill coraline. Thanks for reading!
Teen, 14 years old Written by270608 December 6, 2009
Teen, 13 years old Written byvolleyballnchocolate March 22, 2011
Good book? Heck YEAH! But appropriate for an 8-year-old kid? Probably not. It's pretty creepy, enough to give a scare-seeker an opressive fear of tunnels for weeks afterwards. So I'd say, if your kid is very mature, maybe eight, but probably should be nine or ten. There's not much of a message, positive or otherwise, so don't get this if you think it might be educational.
Educator and Parent of a 5 and 9 year old Written byiku_app April 8, 2010
Educator and Parent of a 1 year old Written byCindyAnderson47 January 15, 2010

If you like creepy, this is great!

I enjoyed the movie when I saw it, but the book is better, although a shorter time period. I enjoy Neil Gaiman's adult stories and this has the feel of one his short stories expanded. I don't really agree that this book is violent at all, though there are a few scary moments, and the over all feeling of the book is creepy. Tweens that enjoy the horror genre would get a lot out of this book and it's MUCH better written than most of what's out there in that vein. (Can I tell you how much I despise the Goosebumps books? They're like Harlequin romance novels for kids. Why do we encourage bad writing?)
Kid, 10 years old March 22, 2015

It was fine. But be careful!

I just want to say at first that I will do my vary best to not put any spoilers in this review. This book was nicely written but needed some tweaks. I think the author (Neil Gaiman) needed to add more emotions into Coraline. But overall this is a vary nice story. But I would recommend it for teens or more mature preteens. But if you want a scary and thrilling story, this book if for you. :)
Teen, 14 years old Written bymusic_and_stuff_11 December 14, 2014

Haunting and Deep.

(\(\ ( '-' ) 0( .. ..) Coraline is a haunting, deep book. (BTW, sorry about the bunny.) Other Mother is creepy and completely Evil (She kinda kills 3 kids and "adult-naps" Coraline's parents.) but ultimately want something to love. Coraline faces fears to save her family. The Cat is a good ally. The book has a great message. Although, it is probably not the best idea to read it right before bed... Just kidding. I really enjoyed this book.
Teen, 14 years old Written byGreysonGirl98 March 31, 2012

A Good Book, But Very Scary And Creepy.

I only picked violence because thee is nothing for creepy. Because Coraline is very creepy. But this is an amazing book for those who can handle the creepy and scary parts.
Teen, 13 years old Written byA.M. June 21, 2010

An oddly twisted dark tale, great for older kids and tweens!

I picked up this book at a Target store after seeing the trailer of Coraline in some movie. I finished it quickly--in a day or so. I loved it! Although the movie was awesome, I like how the book was set in modern-day England instead of Washington, U.S. It had a unique, Tim Burton-ish feel to it that made it feel cool and creepy but believable. Coraline was very resourceful and kind and is a good role model to not only girls but to boys as well. The messages of to be careful what you wish for and to be happy what you have are positive. This book got me hooked on other books of Neil Gaiman, like The Graveyard Book and Stardust. A fresh, enjoyable read with a twist.
Teen, 13 years old Written bymelted831 August 20, 2009

perfect for teens and people who like a little scare

This book is full of haunted scary ideas and is a strange book. Like there is mysterious creatures and beings. This is a scary adventure book. Would not recomend for kids under 12.
Kid, 10 years old July 24, 2011

Neil Does it again!

This is from a kid who didn't find Super 8 really creepy, OK? Coraline was a GREAT, no, make that FANTASTIC book. I read it in two days, staying up until 11:45 one night. To parents with...Wimpy? kids, don't let them read it, there beds will be soaked every night for at least a week.
Kid, 11 years old July 19, 2010

Creepy Good Scary

Good book but it creeps you out.