All member reviews for Coraline

Kid, 10 years old August 16, 2009

Best Neil Gaiman Book EVER!

This book is AMAZING!Some parts are a little creepy (other mother right hand!), but its a really great book! The plot is very intresting and the charecters are very smart. You must read this book!

you will never think of buttons in the same way again!

i LOVED this book but dont read it at night its REALLY creeeepy and kindof disturbing yet awesome. there was just this one part that scared me half 2 death: when Coraline went through the trap door and found the banished Other father...(shiver) i dont even wanna write about that scene, so go read it 4 urself lol. i didnt like how the author never really wrote about how Coraline felt, so i got the feeling that she was just calm throughout the whole thing...i would have been terrified to if i was her. i liked how he used marbles to symbolize the souls of the imprisoned children though. there was something special about the first marble, read carefully about the boy child to figure it out. the picture on the cover is also kindof creepy if u look close. i spent like 5 minutes just staring at it b4 i even started the book! this book was VERY freaky and kinda scary but just the right amount of depth. i liked the illustrations cuz they were so different than how i pictured things. overall, one word describes Coraline: FREAKISHLYAWESOMETASTICSPOOKYLICIOUS!!
Kid, 10 years old June 7, 2010

pretty weird!!!!!!!
Kid, 9 years old August 1, 2011

Excellent book.

If your looking for a horror book besides 'Goosebumps' this is the one. I like the art, the lessons about being brave and such.
Kid, 11 years old June 13, 2011

Scarier than the movie but I love it!!!

Well I wouldn't want to say this is a book for 8 year olds either because you turn 8 when you are in 2nd grade, even 2nd graders would be afraid of the book and the movie. I read the book and I watched the movie, Just want to let you know this is too scary for kids under 10 so 4th graders can read this book, 3rd graders can but they will be too scared. But I love Coraline!!!
Kid, 10 years old June 5, 2011

I heart this book!

I luv this. I recently checked it out of my local library. Coraline is pretty much a good role model since she goes through anything and everything to save her parents. The cat is also good, since any other one would just sit around and wait for *SPOILER* Coraline to be killed and eaten. Coraline learns to appreciate her parents. Yeah, the book is great, but kind of spooky when you consider that the "other" father *SPOILER* is manipulated to try to kill coraline. Thanks for reading!
Teen, 13 years old Written byvolleyballnchocolate March 22, 2011

Good book? Heck YEAH! But appropriate for an 8-year-old kid? Probably not. It's pretty creepy, enough to give a scare-seeker an opressive fear of tunnels for weeks afterwards. So I'd say, if your kid is very mature, maybe eight, but probably should be nine or ten. There's not much of a message, positive or otherwise, so don't get this if you think it might be educational.
Teen, 16 years old Written bydark_demicat October 13, 2009

Teen, 13 years old Written bymelted831 August 20, 2009

perfect for teens and people who like a little scare

This book is full of haunted scary ideas and is a strange book. Like there is mysterious creatures and beings. This is a scary adventure book. Would not recomend for kids under 12.
Kid, 11 years old December 23, 2008

Amazing book.

Gaiman has outdone himself. A fantasy novel that most kids 8-10 wouldn't want to read before bed.
Kid, 10 years old March 22, 2015

It was fine. But be careful!

I just want to say at first that I will do my vary best to not put any spoilers in this review. This book was nicely written but needed some tweaks. I think the author (Neil Gaiman) needed to add more emotions into Coraline. But overall this is a vary nice story. But I would recommend it for teens or more mature preteens. But if you want a scary and thrilling story, this book if for you. :)
Teen, 14 years old Written bymusic_and_stuff_11 December 14, 2014

Haunting and Deep.

(\(\ ( '-' ) 0( .. ..) Coraline is a haunting, deep book. (BTW, sorry about the bunny.) Other Mother is creepy and completely Evil (She kinda kills 3 kids and "adult-naps" Coraline's parents.) but ultimately want something to love. Coraline faces fears to save her family. The Cat is a good ally. The book has a great message. Although, it is probably not the best idea to read it right before bed... Just kidding. I really enjoyed this book.
Kid, 9 years old April 17, 2014

Good, but absolutely terrifying!

Really terrifying, but no sex, language, and no consumerism. Would rate it 4.5 stars if I could. Read this about 6 months ago. Definitely do not let your kid that's under 10 read story, but teaches bravery and tells kids that they couldn't do anything without their family. Kids might get freaked out because of the children's souls and walking hands and other haunted house elements and a rat is decapitated by a cat! WARNING: You will hate buttons after this and kids will always want to close the window!
Teen, 17 years old Written byHoodedAce March 25, 2013

Thrilling. Scary, and Rather philisophical

This book is excellent. Really really brilliant. Yes it's creepy, but it plays off an uncanny valley-esc creepyness rather then an in your face slasher creepyness. I say 12 and up not because it's inappropriate, but unless your kid is incredibly bright they won't really appreciate this book's excellence. It is very scary, but only in a psychological suspense way. It ponders insanity and transcendence, I see it as Alice and Wonderland meets Alfred Hitchcock.
Teen, 17 years old Written byadvocatewhat'sright December 26, 2012

Who writes this waste?!

I've never read it, just seen the movie. But the movie review says that the book is even creepyER. I didn't think that was possible. Seriously, as I said in my movie reviews for Coraline and Spirited Away, why read this when you could read Alice in Wonderland, or better yet, see Charlotte's Web? Or even Charlotte's Web 2? This is just as dumb as The Obnoxious Oogieloves, only it's actually scary. So bottom line, instead of seeing or reading this, see or read Alice in Wonderland instead, or even better stick with the Charlotte's Web stories. -9000/10
Teen, 13 years old Written bycolorsgirl May 21, 2012

Fun story, disturbing implications

I think it's the first time CSM has ever given something a rating that's too low. Coraline isn't violent, sexual or inappropriate in any way other than the fact that it is utterly disturbing. Younger kids of average intelligence who read the book might be a bit scared of the other mother, but at 8yo they should be old enough to know that she's not real. If you have a gifted 8yo though, they will most likely understand the implications of sewing buttons into someone's eyes. The saying 'the eyes are windows to the soul' is fitting here. The other mother is literally trying to steal Coraline's soul, a concept that is frightening and hard to comprehend. I think this is more of a 'ten and up' book, especially because children will get more out of it if they truly understand the story and the messages of being grateful. At 13 this is one of my favorite books, but when I was younger I just thought it was weird. It's a fantastic story but don't assume it's ok just because it's a kids' book. Coraline (the movie) and Hp6 (which features zombies) are both rated PG. If your child really wants to read it, I highly reccomend reading it first and deciding for yourself. A summary doesn't really cover the many layers. Coraline is a fantastic female role-model, but this is one of those books (like The Boy in the Striped Pajamas) where the age of the main character shouldn't be the same as the age of the reader.
Kid, 9 years old April 2, 2012

coraline review

its a great movie. they have to be at least 8 im sorry its a movie for big kids. its a really great movie again but a bit scary. you can see these womans boobs in one scene coverd with one seashell. i wacthed this by myself and i got a bit scared but then i started to not get scared. i was 8 or 9 i think. its your choice. over for 8 year olds.
Teen, 14 years old Written byGreysonGirl98 March 31, 2012

A Good Book, But Very Scary And Creepy.

I only picked violence because thee is nothing for creepy. Because Coraline is very creepy. But this is an amazing book for those who can handle the creepy and scary parts.
Teen, 16 years old Written byLaFontaine March 13, 2012

Coraline

Coraline is SO spooky. It is a wonderful tale though, and do not read it at night!
Kid, 11 years old February 23, 2012

If your a parent and you want a hug fom your kid, MAKE them read the book!! Oh and now i cant look at bottons!! But its still one of the best books ive ever read..

Umm.. This was very creepy and terrifing.. BUT I LOVED IT!! It is amazing!! It dose send a good messege to kids. It is around 300 pages and i finished it on a school day (Pretty much i couldent put it down). The start is a litte boring but dont give up on it!! I want to tell the author how good this book is!! It has a amazing twist in the end. It makes you want to give your parents a hug and never let them go, it also makes you like cats a little more and stay out of rooms your parents tell you not to go in.. It is very funny to:). Jut for the record its not very violent.. READ THE BOOK!!