All member reviews for Coraline

Teen, 13 years old Written bykeen3.141592reader October 10, 2011

Scarier for older children - mature horror themes

Even if your child was OK with the movie, it is a good idea to be wary about the book, as it does explicitly state that the Other Mother steals souls, not just eyes (a very scary theme, especially for older children who understand the concept of souls and religious families who are not happy with the idea of young children losing their souls) and it does describe the Other Mother's tortures in a lot more detail in the book. However, I read this book when I was eleven, and, although I agreed that it was a very scary book, it was not gory and not horrific. In fact, I actually loved the fact it didn't shove gore in your face - it was mature, genuinely creepy stuff. There is a positive message in the book that was completely ignored in the movie version - they morphed it into another 'be careful what you wish for' film as opposed to the real point it was trying to get across - that sometimes, when life is hard, you have to do things yourself. I have no idea why they decided that they had to completely remove this moral from the movie and replace it with one that has been explained enough in children's TV and movies and is by far much less relevant to real life. My final warning is that, if you decide to read this as an adult, then there are a few things you may pick up on that I, when I was eleven, noticed were probably going to terrify adult readers. Messages like 'if you don't pay attention to your child, they'll run away' and 'remember parents - kidnappers are everywhere, even in your own home'. And yes, now I am terrified of buttons (kompounophobia)
Kid, 10 years old July 24, 2011

Neil Does it again!

This is from a kid who didn't find Super 8 really creepy, OK? Coraline was a GREAT, no, make that FANTASTIC book. I read it in two days, staying up until 11:45 one night. To parents with...Wimpy? kids, don't let them read it, there beds will be soaked every night for at least a week.
Kid, 11 years old April 14, 2011

Even Scarier Than The MOVIE!!!

The Beldam looks even scarier than the movie!
Kid, 11 years old March 13, 2011

A more scarier idea than the movie

First of all, this is one of my favorite books. (The only books that stand in its way is the Harry Potter series.) This is a scary story that teaches readers a lot. It will teach you a great lesson. Gaiman has done many good books like The Graveyard Book, but this is his best.
Teen, 13 years old Written byPrincessNoriBori February 15, 2011

Really good read!

S-s-s-s-scary!!! I am now afraid of tunnels and buttons. Thank you very much.
Kid, 9 years old January 15, 2011

Uhh... THE movie WAS ENOUGH!!!!!!!!!!!

ok I HAVEN't read this.. But Y the heck Does The other mother STILL TRack her down After her Parents Are saved? Uhh.. i mean creepy
Kid, 10 years old August 25, 2010

great story

can be scary for little kids though
Kid, 10 years old August 15, 2010

Good

Great book not even scary great for a first horror book section I loved it perect for a ten year old a seven year old can probably read it
Kid, 11 years old July 19, 2010

Creepy Good Scary

Good book but it creeps you out.
Kid, 12 years old July 4, 2010

creepy!

this book is a perfect start for younger kids taking there first steps toward horror books. The book tells an amazing story that is a little shorter than the movie but is still creepy!
Teen, 13 years old Written byA.M. June 21, 2010

An oddly twisted dark tale, great for older kids and tweens!

I picked up this book at a Target store after seeing the trailer of Coraline in some movie. I finished it quickly--in a day or so. I loved it! Although the movie was awesome, I like how the book was set in modern-day England instead of Washington, U.S. It had a unique, Tim Burton-ish feel to it that made it feel cool and creepy but believable. Coraline was very resourceful and kind and is a good role model to not only girls but to boys as well. The messages of to be careful what you wish for and to be happy what you have are positive. This book got me hooked on other books of Neil Gaiman, like The Graveyard Book and Stardust. A fresh, enjoyable read with a twist.
Teen, 13 years old Written byDragynwulf March 16, 2010

Great book for everyone

If you like stories that are a bit dark, this is a great book for you. I know lots of adults who like this book and I personally enjoyed it a lot.
Teen, 13 years old Written byIooba kitty February 12, 2010

awesomeness

one of the best books ever! a little bit creepy but awesome...
Kid, 12 years old December 30, 2009

GREAT!

Loved it. It is very creepy though, so don't read at night. Also younger children should NOT read it. Please wait until at least 10, 11 or 12 preferably. There isn't really any violence or romance, but lots of adventure that will tell kids to "be strong". The pictures also really go with all of the details of the author, so children under the age of 10 should talk to an adult while reading it.
Kid, 9 years old December 13, 2009

Uhhh...

Good book cuz i luv being scared but this book WAS reeeally creepy. coraline is told to sew buttons on her eyes and is locked behind a mirror in a cabinet with ghosts of dead children whos souls have been stolen. goes through a trap door and is almost killed by something like a bald naked fat human body who has been told to kill her. coraline goes back but parents are gone coraline goes chasing after souls and disobeys her parents.
Teen, 14 years old Written by270608 December 6, 2009

Kid, 11 years old November 17, 2009

Confusing, but not as scary as the movie

I like it, but it can be confusing for younger kids. Not as scary as the movie. If your kids want to watch the movie, read the book with them first, if they do okay it's probably safe.
Kid, 12 years old November 3, 2009

a great book

this book is great and creepy. and it's not as creepy or scary as the movie. perfect for kids ages 8-12.
Kid, 12 years old October 28, 2009

a question from your younger children and a resposble answer from u!

the book is not as long or as dtailed as the movie is and will be less frightening for kids. If ur child is 6-8 years of age and hasnt really had much exsperense with scary things but then say "mom dad can i watch Coraline the movie?" If your child is 6 or under this should be your answer "no sry u need a little more exsperence with scary things before we let u watch that movie." but if your child is 7 or 8 and they ask this should be your answer shouldent be completly no it should be "well how about u and me read the book together first and if u can handle the book then it should be ok for u to watch the movie". and if your child is 9 this should be your answer "well Coraline isnt that bad so yeah u can watch it but i'm going to watch with u." these are resposible answers to your kids question to make sure they stay happy and nightmare free! PS: also if they watch the movie before reading the book and they liked the movie then they are definetly going to like the book.
Kid, 12 years old June 5, 2009

Out with the old. Half of the new.

Let's face it; CORALINE is just a creepy spin-off of ALICE IN WORNDERLAND. Though this story deals more with family ties and the all-too-subtle differences between good and evil, the similarities are still there. The being said, it's still creepy; but it's an enjoyable kind of creepy. The book's pace moves along evenly, and the illustrations are pretty good. It's not the greatest book ever, but it's good enough.