All member reviews for Crank

Teen, 13 years old Written byDarthVadershotsister September 11, 2011

Risque but okay for mature teens

I think this is not for children although I read this and did a report on it in the seventh grade . Kids should understand how illegal substances and reproduction work BEFORE reading this to avoid confusion and awkwardly questioning parents and teachers about the subject matter
Teen, 14 years old Written bynoveleater September 5, 2011

Addictive, but Terrifying series debut.

Crank is a beautifully woven story with realistic characters, but beware, the story is disturbing, and sometimes so real, it's scary. The content is not always appropriate, teens must be prepared, adults, I would read before your teen. That being said, I also think adults aren't so sure what their teen can handle. If your teen is mature and reads a lot, I am almost positive they can handle this, but it is a mature read. The book is charged with teen's sexual romances. Although it does not go into to much detail, you can clearly understand what is happening. Also, the book isn't too violent, but in one heart- breaking scene, a girl is raped, leaving her in pain. A teen gets pregnant at the end of the story, and kids take drugs, very raw and descriptions are available. Also, the language is strong, including f***, sh**, su**, a**, d***, ect. But at the heart of the story, it tells of a teen who is struggling to come to terms with the way life works, and peer pressure. The story also talks about the way families are pulled apart when one gets addicted. The story is raw, but wonderful. The story is written in free verse, making the read a faster ride. I recommend it for mature readers. Enjoy!
Teen, 14 years old Written bywrry February 17, 2012

Crank

Crank opened my eyes to the horror of drugs in the teenage world im a teenager myself and this series kinda scared me a little bit i think its a good book for 14 year olds and up
Teen, 14 years old Written bykevin13 August 9, 2014

dark but has a message

I read this book in 7th grade. It was interesting but had a great story behind it. A smart healthy girl takes a wrong turn and spirals down an abyss of drugs, alcohol, rape/sex, and failure. After reading this book I was scared that it could even happen to me. The book is based off a true story of the authors daughter. I think this book if fine for a mature 12-13 year old. Every kid should read in middle or high school. The book mentions the words f--k and s--t every few pages.
Teen, 14 years old Written byoliviabell04 September 13, 2013

best book ever!

i looved this book really let your kids read it it was an awesome book!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
Teen, 16 years old Written bySean Broucek May 22, 2013

Poignant poetic novel has mature material and drugs, but is brilliant and innovative too.

Parents, this poignant poetic masterpiece from Ellen Hopkins may be the best poetic novel ever made, but kids under the age of 15 won't be able to handle the mature material and drug use in the book. In some countries, this book is illegal because of the drug use, but in the areas where it is legal, this book is also required reading for teens. Sexual content includes a brutal violent rape, same-sex kissing, flirting, references to oral sex, and the main character has sex with her boyfriend 5 times. Violence includes violent sexual behavior, and the main character while high on drugs cuts herself with a razor and drinks her blood and offers it to others. The violent undertones and sexual content may be mature, but the language and drug use is what makes this poetry way too intense for kids under 15. Language includes frequent use of f--k, s--t, c--k, c--t, d--k, t-ts, va-ina, pen-s, groin, h--l, a--hole, b-tch, son of a b-tch, crap, dam-, s-ut, w---e, and slang for gay women and oral sex. The book is about a girl addicted to a drug and she snorts it, smokes it, and even injects it. She buys and sells, including from a drug gang. And she smokes cigarettes, does ecstasy, smokes marijauna, and drinks coffee. In the end, this poetic, brilliant is a book even reluctant readers will enjoy, but kids under the age of 15 should stay away from this book. And parents can use this to open good discussion about drug use and addiction with their kids.
Teen, 13 years old Written bycookies_fun April 13, 2013

Great Book!

This is an amazing book. It tells the story of what your life will turn into after drugs. Kristina/Bree has a horrible journey that is told through beautiful free verse poetry.
Teen, 15 years old Written byemiloodle March 27, 2013

Loved IT!

Could not stay away from this story of a teenage girl. It helps to understand since told in a view of a teen.
Teen, 14 years old Written bydirectioner23 March 23, 2013

Amazing book!

This book is just WOW! It was just so real! That's why there is so much controversial content because its just so honest. Teens and up.
Teen, 14 years old Written bydreamer98 December 24, 2012

Amazing Read but know your child's maturity level.

This book was amazing!! But really know your child before they read this book. It was numerous refrences to sex and Kristina "Bree" almost gets raed and then does get raped and becomes pregnant. She has sex with her boyfriend, Chase. and then there's the drugs. The book's titale is written in meth for God's sake. She gets addicted to "the monster" which is meth and experiments with other drugs. she even succumbs to the incredible want of this drug while she's pregnant. The language isn't worse than your child hears at school. This is NOT a fairytale story that your child will read before bed and dream of rainbows and flying unicorns. It's really really sad and it has you hanging on the edge of your seat to see if Kristina will choose the right decision or, most likely, let Bree decide the often very wrong decision.
Teen, 17 years old Written byKittieBratCat October 21, 2012

Hard hitting

I enjoyed it. The entire story was very hard hitting and the details were very graphic. It is not a happy story though. And the end is a huge cliff hanger. I think parents should decide whether they think their kid under 16 should read it as there are very mature issues, but any older teens should be fine with it.
Teen, 17 years old Written byLady-Lithium April 25, 2012

A warning for young teens.

I loved this book when I read it and I think if younger teen read it< they wouldn't want to go out and have sex or do drugs. Because in the book it shows how much drugs ruined the girls life. And since it's based some what on the writers daughter, young teens can see that it really can happen to you.
Teen, 13 years old Written bybooklover9 March 16, 2012

good for mature readers

a very quick read and too sexual for my likings. a chapter is called "how big"and its got a ton of drug use about meth and the main character gets pregnant and it goes into detail some of the sex stuff
Teen, 15 years old Written bywiwo40514 December 28, 2011

Really good!

I read this book and i thought it was really good but it did involve rape cutting (only once) drug use and sex of course. This book was very interesting and can teach a strong life lesson to kids in middle school and high school. It'll teach them about the causes of drugs and get them to stay away. It was a great read, but would be inappropriate for young teens and kids.