All member reviews for Day of Tears : A Novel in Dialogue

Interesting story of historic slave auction.

Kid, 10 years old July 14, 2014

amazing book

great book much like Hollis Woods. this book has violence because the slaved are forced to do horrible things .It also has alot of swearing
Adult Written bymahogany7 April 9, 2008

A discussion starter

I began reading this book in what began as sun filled morning with just a few clouds. As read the novel, it began to rain and my heart grow as somber as the tale Lester begins to tell. As a native of South Carolina and an African American I truly appreciate how this story weaves the history of blacks and their relationships with each other and whites of the times. This novel will begin a conversation of healing and understanding for a terrible time in American history.
Teen, 14 years old Written bychocolate muffins! April 9, 2008

Teen, 13 years old Written byyankee44 April 9, 2008

A must-read book for every 8 year old

The book was realy good and my teacher Ms. Petrin pick it out for our Language arts class,we read the book together and everyone thought it was a realy good book. we did vocabulary on the book and we also did true or false quizes on the book it took us about 15 days to complete the book.Julis Lester did a great job on the book.
Teen, 14 years old Written bypeazekeeper95 January 23, 2010

Love it. It teaches kids about slavery. And even though it's violent, I think that that's part of the point- the evils of slavery.
Teen, 17 years old Written byDevonte Lambert December 13, 2011

read this great book

My family read this and it's was very educational. We love it. It was a little sad. It was also very truthful.
Teen, 16 years old Written byfleeboiielmo December 15, 2010

e.g. Perfect for who ever wanna read it

this book is very good and awesome so i think if u wanna read this book you should read it
Kid, 12 years old October 26, 2010

It's good for, about 11+

I like the book "Day of Tears" because I did to a book report on the book and I thought it was really good. p.s my favorite character is Emma
Teen, 13 years old Written bybridget rhinesmith October 4, 2010

i love this book but i don't lik the slave sellers or the people who think it's right to sell slaves. But i think that everybody should give it a try it'a a very talented book and is one of the best books i'v ever read. it's very educational and tells about the past and why and how slaves got out and had a good rest of ther life. (that's always good to here). <3 Bridget<3
Parent of a 3 and 10 year old Written byHilary Cruise May 17, 2010

perfect for younger kids

I liked this bookIyhought that it somewhat helped my daughter get a better look on slavery
Teen, 15 years old Written byMalani December 11, 2009

Day of Tears

This Is the BEST book I have read within the last past 15 years! I LOVE the book Day of Tears! It tought me so much, I had to buy it! I even got others to read! When I grow up I want my children to read this book! It makes you Laugh, Cry, and Think. Thank you so much Julius Lester for your Wonderful writing!
Teen, 13 years old Written bylyiaaagirl117 October 20, 2009

new perspective

I really really enjoyed this book. There were some times where the racism made me mad, but it really gives you a new perspective on how people think. This book helps you to understand how hard it really was, and sometimes still is for people of different races to live with eachother. It really opends your eyes up
Teen, 13 years old Written byfathoom0 January 18, 2009

i cried....alot

THIS BOOK IS MARVELOUS ITS GREAT IT ALMOST MADE ME CRY.... (SNIFF) (SNIFF) U'V GOT TO READ IT....
Teen, 15 years old Written bywilkenbabe10 April 9, 2008

I was glad to read this book.

I had to read this book for an english class im taking, but I'm glad I chose this book because it was very well written and kept me interested.
Teen, 13 years old Written bygabriellelanser April 9, 2008

The saddest book eva!!

This book was so great- I could read it again and again!

A really good book a must read

This book is a book i used for a book report. It also has a lot of information on slavery and to inform people on slavery in general.
Teen, 14 years old Written bycarisma15 April 9, 2008

this book is a must read

this is a book u can really get a feel with. it cathes your eye and has your attention. i believe many young and old would really connect with this book. if there was a book i had to choose to do a report on it would this book. thank you julius lester for writting such a great book.