Mix of forbidden romance, drama, and danger; OK for teens.

Parent of a 5 year old Written bymadsmooney1214 May 30, 2012

delirium

Families can talk about the resurgence in popularity of dystopian novels. Like Twilight launched many more vampire novels, the popularity of The Hunger Games, for example, gave this genre new life. Why do teens connect with these books? What do you think the next book fad will be? It's hard to find a fault in Alex, Lena's love interest. Why do you think the main male character in romantic novels is often drawn this way? Do characters like Alex shape teen's expectations about romance in any way?
Teen, 16 years old Written byremir101 August 24, 2011

AWESOME!

Im only 12 and I read this when I was 11 I fully understood the book! It was such an amazing story and I can't wait for the sequel. The authors Before I Fall is also a must read. This book reminds me of a futuristic twist of Romeo and Juliet
Teen, 13 years old Written byKar-kar May 14, 2011
MUST READ
Teen, 14 years old Written bymjeffsc June 6, 2014

Good but slow read

I read and finished this book a few days ago and thought it was really thought provoking. The main character Lena is dealing with a problem that is her surgery to get like the part of the brain that deals with any emotion of love removed. But she has fallen in love and has been "infected". It had great content and messages and has interesting parallels to what our government and other aspects in our life our slowly trying to do to us. I would say 14 or 15 are around the age that it would be best to read. Mature older tweens might be able to handle the story but there has to be a level of understanding and maturity to grasp some of the things the author is trying to tell the reader. It has lots of hell, damn, s**t, and two back to back uses of f**k. There is no sex going on but a couple making out scenes and the two lovers once take most of each others clothes off to study the other's body. Even though there were times when the read was very slow and i was trembling to put the book down and find something else to read, by the end of it i thoroughly enjoyed it and will be eager to start the next book in the series!
Teen, 15 years old Written byElodye010 March 29, 2012

AWESOME!

This book was seriously awesome!!! I loved it! I'm 12 and I found it amazing! Kissing is not that bad for my age and older. AMAZING BOOK!
Teen, 13 years old Written byMinkah April 29, 2015

You have to like dystopian

I do not like dystopian novels so I did not think this book was any good. The writing was great but there was a lot of violence which I am not a fan of. The ending was horrible and gruesome and if you do not like to cry over books this is not for you.
Teen, 16 years old Written byClobrim February 28, 2014

Interesting

This book is in exactly the same category as the hunger games and divergent, yet for some strange reason recommended age on both of them is a twelve,yet this is a 14. The book as with the hunger games and divergent is really good maybe better. It looks at actual benefits of being in love but how it can cloud your judgement, it's set in futuristic america and has a lot of messages that are relevant to the world today, some challenging. My rating of a 15 is because unless you're really mature at 12 then some of the key points the author is trying to make may be missed.
Adult Written byjoysoccer April 12, 2011

Great Message!

Great book! It had a really good theme and message. I think that kids 14 and older can comprehend adequately that we need to have passion in life, and it is a great lesson to be learned.
Teen, 14 years old Written byforever_fireproof March 2, 2015

Great Book, but Worth a Pause for Younger Teens

Delirium is a very well written novel about a society that views love as a disease. I enjoy it every single time I read it, and I eventually bought it because I knew it was worth reading multiple times. I wasn't able to put it down when I first got it from the library, and I often stayed up way later than when I go to sleep reading it. The main character, Lena Haloway, is very easy to relate to, as many characters are in young adult fiction, or any fiction really. She often feels like an outsider and is easily affected by what others say. Everyone experiences that feeling whether it's every day or once in a while. I also thought that the love story between her and Alex was very beautiful. It opened Lena's eyes to everything she had been missing as a young child, and taught her that love IS NOT a disease, no matter how much heartache it can bring you. There is one moment though where Lena and Alex are together where he takes off her shirt and describes her as beautiful, which helps Lena in a way considering that she is self-conscious about her body, as every girl is from time to time. Even though there is somewhat of a good side to that, it still isn't moral for a man to see a girl without a shirt on when they aren't married. The scene doesn't go farther than that though and is pretty tame. The language isn't too common, but f*ck you is said twice in one scene, but isn't said any more than that. Other minor words are scattered throughout the book. Also, in one scene, whiskey is mentioned and it is implied that teens are drinking alcohol, but isn't major, and Lena doesn't take part in it. The novel isn't very violent, considering it's mainly about love and romance, not something like war or a plague. Overall, this is a really good book and in my eyes, is worth swallowing down the few instances of immorality.
Teen, 14 years old Written bymegabooklover221 April 13, 2014

Perfectly paced tale of forbidden love and escape

I personally ADORE this book! it was so well written and the storyline is awesome! The world of Delirium is very interesting and thought provoking. In this book there is a moderate amount of swearing. Including an instance where the main character says "F*ck you" twice. There is no sex in this book only passionate kisses and an instance where Alex takes Lena's shirt off but nothing beyond that. Overall this was an AMAZING book and I recommend it to anyone Over 13!!!
Teen, 13 years old Written byHeq073198 January 10, 2012

GREAT BOOK WITH A GREAT MESSAGE!

This is such an amazing book with such an amazing message! I love pretty much every main character in this book, mostly Alex, then Hana, then Lena. Alex and Lena kiss A LOT and, yes, he does take her shirt off, but nothing goes farther than that. I think the message is so deep and this book has so much thought put into it. When you lose love, you don't just lose that, you lose compassion, happiness, even hate, because all these are levels of love (or a lack thereof.) Really makes you think and has a wonderful lesson to learn! This review mentions how Alex is portrayed as a "flawless" character. I think it means that since Lena loves him, he's perfect in her eyes, and she loves him for the faults he has when others would look down on him. And that's what true love is.
Parent Written bymeliks January 2, 2012

Great Book for older teens

My 6th grade 11 1/2 year old daughter read this and loved it. I then read it and loved it - but there was some inappropriate language (though used appropriately and not gratuitously) and certainly more sexual activity than I felt comfortable with for my pre-teen. In hindsight, I would preferred that she waited a year or two before reading this book. This is a beautiful love story and I can't wait for the sequel. Certainly appropriate for teens.
Adult Written byIamAgirl October 26, 2015

11 and up!

It is a really good dystopian book so i really recommend it!!
Teen, 13 years old Written byPortia0623 May 26, 2014

Great

Gripping, I could not put it down.
Teen, 13 years old Written bywhatavur April 13, 2014
Teen, 13 years old Written byinfinite-hope March 2, 2013

Beautiful.

This book is so addictive. You won't be able to put it down for a single second, I promise you. I admire the female protagonist, Lena, very much and I like how she thinks she's in-between for everything. I like that though she doesn't think she's pretty, she isn't too insecure about herself and she doesn't think she's ugly. Too many overrated books have the same female lead feeling insecure even though she's actually beautiful. Lena and her love interest, Alex,'s relationship is sort of special in its own way, because for nearly two decades Lena has believed that love was a disease, and she's avoided it like a plague. When she finally discovers the truth, she looks at things in a whole new perspective and this makes her relationship truly different. All in all, this book is extremely phenomenal and I recommend you read it. Also, please note that Lena and Alex share a lot of kisses and he does take her shirt off at one point but that's all. It doesn't get worse than that. It should be alright for kids aged 12 and up.
Teen, 14 years old Written bydancer1023 October 22, 2012

Delirium by Lauren Oliver

I read delirium a couple months ago, and I love it! This description of a world without love makes me rethink what i take for granted, who cares for me, and the right i have to care for others. As you have probably read in other reviews, this book does have kissing in it, but it really isn't a problem if you just skim over a paragraph or two. I guess it really depends on the maturity of the reader. Basically, this is a phenomenal novel, and I would recommend it to all my friends.
Teen, 13 years old Written bySmilesForMiles May 29, 2012

LOVE IT!

Hi. I am 13 years old. I read this book in 2 or 3 days, and for me I could not put this book down!!! To me, this book wasn't really literal. I put the message into my own terms. I think this book shows everything has a story, and things aren't so black and white like they appear. This perfect utopian society wasn't really so perfect in the end, and what Lena found out, was based on a lie. I am doing this book for an end of the year book project. It blew me away. I love this author. This taught me to fight for what I believe in, and to not follow the crowd. Sure, this was not what the book was about, but the theme can be retrieved at the end. (also read before i fall by lauren oliver..its really good!!!
Teen, 14 years old Written bybookworm01 April 4, 2011

Great Book, Awesome Message

Delirium by Lauren Oliver is a really great book. It's about a girl named Lena who falls in love shortly before she's supposed to get a "cure" for it, mandated for those over 18. The message about the importance of love is very powerful and Lena's persistence with her beliefs is honorable. This novel is one of my favorites!
Adult Written byalizec May 18, 2015

Incredible

One of my favorite books. A great dystopian novel with a fresh set of ideas.