All member reviews for Demons of the Ocean: Vampirates, Book 1

Vamp/pirate mashup is intermittently exciting.

Parent Written byBetz August 12, 2010

As a parent, I read this book for myself, not to the kids. Though I would have no problem letting my nine year old read this book, for some parents who might have concerns about content, let's just start out by saying this is a book about pirates and vampires. The topic of blood comes up, but the way the good vampires get their blood is civilized and consensual. The bad vampires are the violent ones that typify the violent type of vampire, but there is nothing too graphic in this book. Pirates do engage in drinking and one of the main characters, Conner, who is about 14, does go to a tavern with his shipmates. As the books progress along, the good vampires are peaceful, but the violence and cruelty of the vampires does increase. But like the Harry Potter books, as the series goes along, the readers also grow and become older and so more mature subjects, like death, grieving and betrayal come up. It is a well written series with beautiful prose and novel storytelling. Future books in the series encourage applying yourself and the academics of piracy - yes, there is a pirate academy. So many things such as courage, determination, academics, honor, persistence, compassion and intelligence are highlighted in this book series.
Teen, 14 years old Written bybibliophile April 9, 2008

I LOVE VAMPIRES AND PIRATES!!

This book was absolutely amazing! It incorporated vampires and pirates, some of my favorite fantasy topics. There is a teeny bit of violence, but nothing graphic, no sex, though a mild attraction between a boy and a girl, but nothing sexual. There might have been a kiss or two. Maybe a swear word or two. I recommend for 10+.
Kid, 10 years old April 9, 2008

Read books 1 and 2!...

I must say I love this series and all I would talk all about it.I think it is a great book, but some scenes of violence are graphic.But the way the crew of the diablo and connor work together shows, well teamwork and I know that counts for something!Well peace out!
Kid, 12 years old December 10, 2012

The Best Book Out There! A Real Page Turner!

I think this book is a really good book! It keeps the reader turning the pages! It is definitely a book I would recommend to other kids. Not very violent, but what it describes may be a little much for some. (Doubtfully) Otherwise, it is another great book by Justin Somper!
Teen, 17 years old Written bycraftygirl202 August 27, 2011

Awesome Book

Great book! Me and my friend read it and we both love it. My friend continued the series and is now finished with book 3. She loves Grace and Grace is a good role model. Witty, smart, and GRACEful. Read it!
Parent of a 11 and 15 year old Written byresar September 25, 2009

Quirky Story with a lot of familiar tropes stuck in

This strange mash up reads part classic adventure tale like "Shipwrecked" or "Treasure Island" and part modern vampire tale-- the kind where the vampires, though scary blood suckers, are really aren't that scary and are sort of nice, after all. The plot suffers from a bit of overloading. We have special orphans, global warming, vampire secrets and pirate politics all jammed into one not overly long story. It's a dreamy read though, and my 11 year old daughter was dying to know what happened next through the entire thing. Until Vampirates, she hadn't had a book that engaged her attention so fully. For that reason alone the book will remain dear to me despite its faults. :)
Teen, 13 years old Written bydixie-chick101 April 9, 2008

This is a must-read book!!

I loved it..Its a great book for people ages 8 and up..
Kid, 10 years old April 9, 2008

love it!

wow I love this book and I dont see a thing wrong with it!I can't wait for blood Captain to come out in america!

sweet

I loved this book when I read it not much violence and is a great story. the beggining was a littel fast but it slows down towards the end you'll love it!