All member reviews for Diary of a Wimpy Kid

Laugh-out-loud-funny series start tucks lessons in stories.

Parent of a 5 and 8 year old Written bythefournguyens June 5, 2010

Great for someone older than 9.

You can call me an over-protective parent anytime and that's fine. I prefer to limit what my kids are exposed to at this age. There is so much great literature out there that does not humiliate or include messages about bullying. While I think this book is amusing on a pre-teen kid scale, it is not appropriate for someone under the age of at least 10. Older children have a better ability to distinguish between what is funny in fiction and what it appropriate in real-life. Just because it's on the NYT bestseller list does not mean it's okay for younger kids. If a child thinks that it's funny when someone is bullied or humiliated, fiction or not, I think that's a problem.
Parent of a 5 and 7 year old Written byMangoFlamingo December 6, 2009

Some of the stuff in this book BUGGED me..

Ok, I only read the first 10 pages in the book store, I admit. But in the first 10 pages the main character talks about sitting between "two HOT GIRLS" in school and then speaks of one of them possibly liking him because he has a "cute butt". I had this book recommened to me in the book store for my 7 year old son. I paged through and thought it was cute until I hit those passages and that was it for me. My son is going to get enough sexualization through today's media as he grows, I don't need to introduce it to him at age 7. It really BUGGED me that this stuff was in there as I think he'd like the book style otherwise.
Kid, 9 years old October 9, 2009

A must read!

Sweet! I Love This Book! :)
Parent of a 2, 5, 7, and 9 year old Written by6Sweets February 6, 2010

Why bother?

Why read it when there are so many other more positive books. The children who do read a lot of this series pick up quickly to the bad humor and unacceptable language. It is a quick read (no real challenge) and you come away with nothing positive. If you like bad humor, unloyal friendships, lacking of respect between the sexes - go ahead spend your time on it. Inappropriate middle school behaviors and poor humor are being marketed to young readers in this book.
Parent of a 8 year old Written byonemomstanding April 1, 2010

sneaky book

Got this book for my 7 year old who was "dying" to have because everybody else did. When he started reding some of the Disrespectful material in the book I took a look and Threw it away! One example is, when the boys are bullying and calling him ugly then hea says your mama thinks you're ugly then he calls his mom and she tells him he's Ugly!??????? Not something I want my child to model or think that's acceptable. Whatever happened to values? and respect? not popular in today's world, but I won't let my child read it because of this kind of content thrown in, with other things that are crude but Seem harmless.
Adult Written by4femme May 7, 2010

More Negative Messages to Fill Kids Minds

I am shocked every time I hear an adults say this is a good book. Often, because their child who didn't enjoy reading actually read this book. This reminds me of adults that think Spongebob is good children's programming. I had to close the book after 3 chapters & was shocked at how negative this book was in every aspect. It's full of teasing, bad attitudes, unfriendliness, disrespect...the list goes on. Why fill young minds with garbage when there are endless GREAT options available.......Good Literature!! My 2 oldest daughters are voracious readers so I know finding great books takes time on the parents end.....but it is worth it!!
Adult Written byshevez December 11, 2008

diary of a wimpy kid

I think diary of a wimpy kid is the best book ever made
Adult Written byMommyof6* November 26, 2011

This book is realistic

It think that some of the parents who are offended by the nature of this book should look around and take stock of what's really going on in the world; because there are a plethora of events happening in the world that are much worse than a realistic story of a 7th grade boy who's trying to discover his identity. This book is filled with humor and is a very realistic depiction of the life of a typical 7th grader as well as a realistic depiction of REAL families. If you want your children to be totally sheltered from reality, that's up to you, but you are not preparing him or her for the real world in that case. This book is excellent for students who dislike reading because it's an easy read as well as easy for kids to relate. Also, this book could be an excellent opportunity to discuss such topics as respect, values and staying true to yourself. If you're worried about your child being corrupted, talk to him or her about these topics and your views as a parent.
Adult Written bytheswankymodes April 9, 2008

Great for the kid who doesn't like to read

My son is 8 1/2 and he reads only when required and even then, he uses a timer. He picked up this book and the sequel at the book fair yesterday and has been reading it at every spare moment, even on the bus ride home from school. Any book that can get my non-reader interested in reading is fantastic with me! It is flying off the shelves at the book fair and the kids who have already read it are flocking for the second book.
Kid, 10 years old December 18, 2010

SUCH A GREAT BOOK ROCK ON JEFF KINNEY

I LOVE THESE BOOKS SOO MUCH, LOVE THEM LOVE THEM LOVE THEM!!! I LAUGHED SOO MUCH AT WHERE ROWLEY ATE THE CHEESE, GREAT BOOK FOR ANYONE LOOKING FOR A GOOD LAUGH :)
Parent of a 7 and 9 year old Written by414lat June 24, 2010

Perfect for middle schoolers, but not for grade schoolers

I think this book is a good read for boys going into middle school. I made my son wait to read this book, but I hope by reading this he learns what not to do to get attention in school next year. The parents are good role models. As for the idea that the only parents who let their children read this book are the ones whose children won't read. This is not true. My son is ten and has already read and appreciated several classics, i.e. The Secret Garden, the complete Chronicles of Narnia set, The Bronze Bow, a variety of Sherlock Holmes stories, etc. Due to the bullying/dangerous stunts and references to smoking that I really don't think are appropriate for younger children to be exposed to I wouldn't give this to a younger child to read.
Teen, 13 years old Written byReillyGuy2 November 17, 2011

A GREAT JUNIOR HIGH BOOK!!!

Don't pay attention to the reviews of parents who have very young kids because you have to understand that although younger kids may want to read this book because "all their friends are", it's not really meant for 7 years olds. It's meant for middle schoolers. And for middle schoolers it's just fine. Let's face it- Kids these days know way more than what's in these books ( their parents just don't know it) and what kid would go around saying that he has a cute butt just because he/ she read it in a book? If your child is that immature you should be supervising what he/ she reads.
Kid, 7 years old November 17, 2011

Worthless

My 7-yr-old is dying to read this series because one of his friends is reading it, so I borrowed the book and checked it out - and it is worthless. First, if the main character is in middle school then the content is clearly not intended for younger children. In this case, the funny parts (and I'll admit, there are a lot) stem from inappropriate behavior and a generally sarcastic/negative view of the world, which is not a good example for younger children (if anyone). Second, there is really no academic value, since the writing/vocabulary is so basic that it is not even a challenge for my 2nd-grader, let alone for the middle schoolers who are presumably its target audience. Third, while I have heard claims that it teaches life lessons, this is only true in the sense that children may infer lessons about proper behavior by seeing this as an example of what not to do. Unfortunately, many of the scenarios are so amusing that children (especially younger ones) will be more likely to laugh about it with their friends and mimic the bad behavior thinking that they are being clever or funny. On the whole, there are too many good books out there for readers of all levels to waste time & money on this stuff.
Kid, 9 years old July 23, 2010

copycats

why i rated it on for ages 10+ role models nudity-they showed a comic of an adult pooping in his pants violence-greg draws pictures of kids getting pushed around by bigger kids language-some insults poop,moron,jerk,goober drinking drugs,smoking - a boy names chris drew a picture saying dont smoke its a joke and smokes at least a pack of ciggerates a day
Kid, 11 years old July 14, 2010

Hilarious book is funny beyond comparison!

This is the first book in the series. It is funny! It makes for a good read for tweens! There is some bullying in the book. There was an incedent having to do with a women in bikini magazine. It is very mild. There was a brief mentions of smoking too. If you are looking for a good laugh, the read this!
Parent of a 8 year old Written bypattygb May 16, 2010

good book

This book is really good, but not for younger kids. Provided we read and discuss issues together, it's been pretty good. All his classmates have been reading it, so we felt inclined to check it out.
Teen, 13 years old Written byLittle movie freak December 31, 2009

First book of the seris is pretty god

The first book of Diary of a wimpy kid series is pretty good. Everyone should read this
Parent of a 14 year old Written bygladtobemomof6 April 7, 2011

You can do better

Not good. I have six kids who love to read, but this isn't on their reading list. Wise up parents! The purpose of a book is not to make kids feel better about being immature, unkind, disrespectful, and lazy (in other words, normal middle-schoolers). The purpose of reading is to elevate the standards and inspire them to do better. Parents can do better, too, by leaving Wimpy Kid at the mall.
Parent of a 9 year old Written bychuey August 14, 2010

Negative all around

This young boy is already feeling oppressed by life's frustrations and trials. He is facing struggles you'd expect a middle-aged person to be coping with. He is buffeted by negative peers, inept and nasty adults and a variety of unpleasant life situations. That is a lot for a 12 year old (main character) to handle.
Kid, 12 years old July 17, 2010