All member reviews for Diary of a Wimpy Kid

Kid, 9 years old October 9, 2009

A must read!

Sweet! I Love This Book! :)
Kid, 7 years old November 17, 2011

Worthless

My 7-yr-old is dying to read this series because one of his friends is reading it, so I borrowed the book and checked it out - and it is worthless. First, if the main character is in middle school then the content is clearly not intended for younger children. In this case, the funny parts (and I'll admit, there are a lot) stem from inappropriate behavior and a generally sarcastic/negative view of the world, which is not a good example for younger children (if anyone). Second, there is really no academic value, since the writing/vocabulary is so basic that it is not even a challenge for my 2nd-grader, let alone for the middle schoolers who are presumably its target audience. Third, while I have heard claims that it teaches life lessons, this is only true in the sense that children may infer lessons about proper behavior by seeing this as an example of what not to do. Unfortunately, many of the scenarios are so amusing that children (especially younger ones) will be more likely to laugh about it with their friends and mimic the bad behavior thinking that they are being clever or funny. On the whole, there are too many good books out there for readers of all levels to waste time & money on this stuff.
Kid, 10 years old December 18, 2010

SUCH A GREAT BOOK ROCK ON JEFF KINNEY

I LOVE THESE BOOKS SOO MUCH, LOVE THEM LOVE THEM LOVE THEM!!! I LAUGHED SOO MUCH AT WHERE ROWLEY ATE THE CHEESE, GREAT BOOK FOR ANYONE LOOKING FOR A GOOD LAUGH :)
Kid, 11 years old July 14, 2010

Hilarious book is funny beyond comparison!

This is the first book in the series. It is funny! It makes for a good read for tweens! There is some bullying in the book. There was an incedent having to do with a women in bikini magazine. It is very mild. There was a brief mentions of smoking too. If you are looking for a good laugh, the read this!
Teen, 13 years old Written byLittle movie freak December 31, 2009

First book of the seris is pretty god

The first book of Diary of a wimpy kid series is pretty good. Everyone should read this
Kid, 9 years old July 23, 2010

copycats

why i rated it on for ages 10+ role models nudity-they showed a comic of an adult pooping in his pants violence-greg draws pictures of kids getting pushed around by bigger kids language-some insults poop,moron,jerk,goober drinking drugs,smoking - a boy names chris drew a picture saying dont smoke its a joke and smokes at least a pack of ciggerates a day
Kid, 12 years old July 17, 2010

perfect for kids

love it.it's the best
Kid, 10 years old December 29, 2009

Cool kids 9 and over

I THE BOOK ITS THE COOLEST EVER The book is very very funny i have read all the wimpy kids in 2 day wow cool By Jaskiran Kaur Mathadu
Teen, 13 years old Written bythe Liberator August 7, 2009

My opinion on Diary of a wimpy kid

I thought this book was a great read and a very well written book i don't think there was anything to rude in the book itself just a good book
Kid, 10 years old November 19, 2011

Why you should bye the book for your kids

I think that all dairy of a wipy kid book are great and if you dont think so well then your missing out on a lot so go a head bye the book for not only your kids your self and if they are younger then 8 i dont think they should be reading it have fun with DIARY OF A WIMPY KID
Teen, 13 years old Written byReillyGuy2 November 17, 2011

A GREAT JUNIOR HIGH BOOK!!!

Don't pay attention to the reviews of parents who have very young kids because you have to understand that although younger kids may want to read this book because "all their friends are", it's not really meant for 7 years olds. It's meant for middle schoolers. And for middle schoolers it's just fine. Let's face it- Kids these days know way more than what's in these books ( their parents just don't know it) and what kid would go around saying that he has a cute butt just because he/ she read it in a book? If your child is that immature you should be supervising what he/ she reads.
Kid, 9 years old June 29, 2013

Overall Just Not Worth It

I Thought This Book Was Disgusting. I Read Half a Chapter Then Returned The Book. Seriously, I Thought This Book was Going To Be Good Because My Friends Liked It. The Book Is SOOOO Expensive 12.99 For a Book I HATED. It Has Dumb Child Humor I Hate Too. Why Is Everything BOYS in this Book It Is all Gender Stereotypical. The Author Is Just In It For the Money, and To Bribe Boys Into Buying This Book. DON'T BUY THIS BOOK!!!!!!!!!!
Kid, 11 years old July 3, 2012

Not for 8 and under

A good book, at the end they learn their lessons. It's not like at the end they all die... Its not OVERLY violent, Warrior Cats is worse Its not against sexes Little language...since when was Jerk bad? But Greg does do scams to get money.
Teen, 13 years old Written bydolphingirl101 March 10, 2011

Great Book

Love it
Teen, 14 years old Written bybig red 12 December 31, 2010
Kid, 10 years old May 6, 2010

Not the best

Not my favorite. Dog Days is better, but I like THE CHEESE.
Kid, 10 years old March 19, 2010

i love this book it is the funniest
Kid, 12 years old September 21, 2009

Funny But Taking Our Money

I have read all three of the published novels and laughed out loud at a lot of it. However, the elements in it are pretty crude. Things get worse later in the series. Also, there is a whole series, and they just keep coming. Children are spending a lot of their money and their parents on buying these funny books that don't really convey any good messages. Greg's parents do punish him, but he always seems to find a way around it. Iffy for ages 10 and up.
Kid, 12 years old March 2, 2013

An O.K Book

I think this book is O.K, but the others in the series are better. The parents need to lighten up. This book is realistic. Don't try to sheild kids from real life. That's just stupid. When they get caught in a real life situation, they won't be able to do anything. There are words like "idiot" and "moron, but that's it for language. There arn't any good role models and messages though.
Teen, 14 years old Written byBrianna4thewin August 13, 2012

Its an innocent book!

Stop being so protective! Wow it's a book! It gets kids reading and shows that friendship is an important part of our lives and it's fun to read. Stop wrapping your kids in buuble wrap or they will be completely unprepared for middle school.