All member reviews for Divergent, Book 1

Teen, 13 years old Written bykitkat3798 June 10, 2011

Great for people 13+, something Hunger Games, Matched and Delirium fans will love!

This is an amazing read. I enjoyed every minute of reading it. It's such an original, amazing piece of writing. It's thought provoking and action packed with a little romance mixed in. There are some references to sex, but nothing ever happens. And in one scene when the main character is attacked by a bunch of teenage guys, one touches her inappropriately, but it doesn't go any farther than that. I think anyone who likes Hunger Games, Matched, Delirium or Wither will really love this book. It's a full dose of dystopian genius!
Teen, 14 years old Written bynoveleater October 25, 2011

Captivating Hunger Games copycat is built on original premise.

Divergent was so good its hard to put in words. The characters are relatable and realistic, each one has there own secrets, but also there own desires, which shine throughout the book. The story tells of a girl named Beatrice Prior who lives in the future of Chicago where the population of people is split into five human virtues, each one contradicting the other. The story tells of Beatrice’s decision and her life in her faction. What follows is a whole collection of choices, which is what the book always seems to get back to; choices rule our lives. This book is expertly crafted with writing that has perfect pace that gets into Beatrice’s mind. She seems so real and headstrong. That being said, the novel is violent. Including suicide, cruel punishments, guns and knives being used, a boy is stabbed in the eye with a knife; there are fight scenes that pair up different sizes, genders, and ages. There is bloodshed and people are killed. The book centers on violence but also settles on the fine idea of peace. There are kisses, and Beatrice almost does it with a boy, but they decide that another time would be more appropriate. The characters are drugged to have fake battles with their mind, which kind of mirrors some drugs. There is minor bad language use. Divergent is hard to put down, but at the end the story sags, dragging on the book a little to long, which left me kind of restless. The end is a cliffhanger and will have readers clamoring for more.
Kid, 9 years old November 2, 2013

There's nothing wrong with it

I'm 9 and I understood it. My friends have read it. Unless you don't want your kid knowing about guns and weapons I think an 8 year old could read. I would'nt go younger because there are a few bad things. But by the time your 8. You know not to do or say it
Teen, 15 years old Written byJJAduP August 10, 2011

Awesome book for teens and maybe even young adults. Dystopian setting, same genre as Hunger Games, but very original, worth the read :-)

Excellent book! I was absorbed in it and couldn't put it down. My only concerns were the violence and talking about sex as mentioned above, but it isn't something to worry about too much, as it is minor in this book. It's definitely worth the read though.
Kid, 11 years old March 19, 2014

Examplary Dystopian Literature Geared Towards Young Adults

Although I have read many books, the worldwide bestseller "Divergent" by Veronica Roth tops all other books, but there are a few parental cautions. This book is geared towards teenagers and young adults. The book talks about some concepts which may be confusing for younger children to understand. If you are under 14 and find interest in this book, I do suggest making sure it fits your comprehension level and you are mature enough to understand the content. My teacher suggested it to me. This story takes place in an advanced society where humans are lead dehumanized. Once you turn 16, you must choose one of the following factions: Candor, Abnegation, Dauntless, Amity, or Erudite. An aptitude test is given before Choosing Day to help you decide. Tris Prior gets 3 of the factions, which is called divergent. Unfortunately for her, the divergent are being hunted and executed by Eric and Jeanine Matthews. Tris meets her training instructor, Tobias (Four), whom she ends up dating. This magnificent novel teaches readers not to let society influence you. I decided to give you some positives and negatives to the story. There is an excellent message, and Tris Prior shows people to stand up for their rights. Now to the negatives or precautions for children: There is mild swearing such as h*** or d***, but I wouldn't consider it an issue. The sexual content was very mild also. Sure, Tris is afraid of intimacy with Tobias, and they almost do it, but stop after passionate kissing. There is some violence. Tobias purposely nicks Tris's ear with knife. All commits suicide. Tris kills her friend, Will. Jeanine seems to possess people. Despite that, Divergent is one of the best books you can get your hands on.
Teen, 14 years old Written byKearthable September 4, 2011

Can't wait for the next book :D

I LOVED this book! Tris is such a strong character, but she's not perfect and that's why i love her. Some parts felt like they went by too fast, but then again it kept the fast-paced plot going. The story (and side plots) were awesome and well-rounded too.
Teen, 13 years old Written bySerena Hipstrpants November 19, 2012

BEST BOOK EVAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OK so this is the BEST BOOK ON THE FACE OF THE PLANET!!!!!!!!!!!!! OH MY GOD I COULD NOT PUT IT DOWN EVER! I COMPLETELY FELL IN LOVE WITH TOBIAS (Four) AND IM ESTATIC THAT HE DIDNT DIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!AND... JUST... OH. MY. GOD. :D DO YOURSELF A FAVOR... READ IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! But just a note of advice, HAVE THE SECOND BOOK AT THE READY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YOure gonna be thankful.
Teen, 17 years old Written byMeeowitskatt6 August 20, 2012

there's violence, romance, suspense, sexual longing, & adventure. this is coming from a 17 year old book-lover!

I am seventeen and I personally read a lot. I love books full of romance, suspense, and adventure. Let me say, this book series has it all. It is mainly about standing up for what you believe in; there's a lot of cruelty and violence..along with first love and all the sensuality that comes with it. The main character, Tris, becomes a strong, independent, tough, but selfless 16 year old. She describes the intimacy between her and her first love in detail, along with some sexual longings she has and experiences with him. Personally, I LOVE and ADORE this book series more than anything I've ever read! it has a perfect, balanced amount of adventure, suspense, and romance. (: but I know for a fact, it is mainly for teens 14+ I also bet 95% of parents would agree with me. Really it all depends on your child's maturity level, to be honest.
Teen, 15 years old Written byCalcabrina February 23, 2012

I wish I were Dauntless too

This is a moving book with a great balance of tension and humor. It made me really examine my own fears and limits. I wish I were as Dauntless as Tris, but I don't know if I could jump off a building... :)
Teen, 16 years old Written bythe-divergent May 26, 2013

There's some stuff I wanna say

The other day I saw a ten year old reading this. One word- NO. This book is not for anyone under 13. Period. End of story. Violence can ge graphic, but no worse than The Hunger Games. The real issue is sexual content. Yes, The Hunger Games has nudity, Divergent doesn't, but there are lots and I mean A LOT of make out scenes. In one (I guess maybe 2) scene(s)a girl is sexually assaulted. I put maybe two because in one scene, a stimulation, a boy begins kissing her and he unzips her sweatshirt as a bed appears. It doesn't go further than this, she pushes him away. In the other, the same girl is kidnapped by three boys and they feel her breasts and make comments such as something like "are you really 16, you feel more like 12" or something of that sort. Sex is mention a few times especially in one scene after the first of he two scenes mentioned above where a boyfriend and girlfriend discuss it and say mabye in a few years, if they are ready than they can. They also figure out they are both virgins. But I love this book. It has to be my favorite. It's wonderful, for teens, but not Tweens.
Teen, 14 years old Written byjenjen15 February 19, 2012

My absolute favorite book!

This book was absolutely astonishing! It was fast paced, engaging, exciting, and all-around great. It had a great thought provoking original plot that had me on the edge of my seat and craving for more. It does have some sexual references and some violence, consisting of shootings and some stabbing, but other than that, nothing too drastic. It was funny and romantic, and I really loved and connected with the main character, especially Four (He was probably my favorite character in the book). I would recommend it to everyone who loved Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins. If anyone who liked this book is looking for another similar too it, I would recommend Legend by Mary Lu (These two books seemed to have a lot in common).
Teen, 13 years old Written byevelyn81998 February 19, 2012

Really punchy, and a lot of fun! Great for 13-16!

This book was really good! The beginning was slightly confusing, and it took me a while to adjust to the whole plot and idea, but once I started going, it was almost impossible to put it down! If you liked books like The Hunger Games, Maze Runner, Incarceron and The Medusa Project, you will really enjoy this book! Thumbs up!
Teen, 15 years old Written byRae-la January 26, 2012

Gets my vote for best new book of 2011

When I read this book for the first time, I was blown away. It takes an original but not too out-there concept, adds an engaging plot and amazing characters, and turns it into an addictive story that I tore through in about 6 hours. It takes the dystopia trend started by The Hunger Games and puts a completely new spin on it. I've yet to meet a person who just flat-out hated this book. Veronica Roth was in college when she wrote it, and it doesn't show. She has the potential to be one of the great YA authors up there with Suzanne Collins, Rick Riordan, and John Green. Tris is a fantastic heroine, and this is one of the only books in which I actually like the love interest. They're both strong-willed, brave, smart, and have great chemistry. Also, there's no love triangle, which gets bonus points in my book.Plus, the book is filled with great scenes. It played out like a movie in my head. Which is a good thing, because it is being made into a movie. The only downside is, the sequel doesn't come out for another 4 months. Otherwise, go check it out, it is definitely worth it.
Teen, 13 years old Written byHeq073198 November 3, 2011

BEST BOOK ON EARTH!!!!

I LOVE THIS BOOK! I HAVE READ PROBABLY EVERY BOOK EVER AND THIS TRUMPS THEM ALL TO DUST!!!!!!!!!!!!! I think this will be a little bit more of a favorite with girls than with boys, because of the more prominent romance element. And I am pretty much in love with Tobias. Tris is nearly raped and Tobias was beaten as a child, which is why he transferred to Dauntless. Al commits suicide after Tris refuses to forgive him for being among the group of boys who kidnapped her, although he does try to stop them from "touching" her. Tris and Tobias kiss passionately, but agree that they don't need to rush into sex. I love at the end of the book the author's first thank you is to God and Jesus.
Teen, 13 years old Written bySydney the bookworm July 19, 2011

Exciring Thriller.

This book will make ur kids realize that they have a better life than some of these characters in thee book.just know its very violent.
Teen, 13 years old Written byannafan June 22, 2011

Amazing 12+

It was a great book. I read it after reading a review in Girl's Life magazine, and seeing it was dystopian, i was sold. It was violent, but not too gory. It wasn't overly sexual, only a part in Tris's fear landscape when she reveals her fear of intimacy because she thinks Four expects her to be intimate. Also, while Peter and a few others are trying to kill her like they did the other competitor to get her out of the ranks, one boy who I think was Peter feels her chest and makes a crack about her being incredibly flat-chested. But it doesn't go anywhere farther than that. I loved the book and the entire concept, and loved the book. Can't wait for the sequel
Kid, 11 years old August 17, 2014

OMIGOSH OMIGOSH OMIGOSH!!!!!

OMIGOSH!!! I'm sorry that's all I can say right now!!! This book is truly, the best! I believe tris to be a great role model and also four. It has just enough romance to make it good but not gross. There is some violence, but approximately 1/4 the amount of violence the hunger games had. 11 or 12 would be a good age to read it if you are a mature child. If you feel you are not I suggest reading this at age 13 or 14. Ever since I read this book I have bought the whole series, four books, and rented the movie! I am so in love with this book! READ ITTT!!!!
Teen, 13 years old Written bysarahalr1328 December 13, 2012

SO ADDICTING.

THIS BOOK IS PERFECT. I honestly love this book more than I love The Hunger Games. This is just so asdfghjkl, and the love story is just so perfect. There are so many positive role models in this book. I can't stop thinking about it until now. Worth to read :)
Kid, 11 years old March 23, 2012

My Opinion is......

There was some sex themes in the book, but no one actually had sex. And anothere times two boys were touching a girls chest, and telling her she seemed more like 12 than 16. There was only words like the D word and the H word, but that's all. IT IS A REALLY GOOD BOOK! It is a lot like the Hunger Games. If your 11 or older and you read the Hunger Games, (Or if you like reading in general) You'll love this book! The beginning is confusing, and some other parts are confusing, but, for the most part, Veronic Roth wrote this book very nicely. I can't wait for the second book! (Oh, yeah, the end is a cliff hanger) A few things I don't like: Al kills himself. (I really liked Al!) I'm not gonna tell you the name, but Triss kills one of her friends. It was a life or death situation. Just like the Hunger Games, there are a lot of deaths, and tradgety's.
Teen, 13 years old Written byviolet1313 August 30, 2014

Read it!

Don't let over protective parents prevent you from letting your kids read the book. It's amazing and took a huge impact on my life. There is little sex in it. Just kissing but that's part of life. The violence was not bad either. Please read it you won't regret it.