All member reviews for Does My Head Look Big in This?

Muslim teen grows up, sees prejudice Down Under.

Teen, 14 years old Written byzerealevilcelery May 17, 2009

Great story.

I really enjoyed reading it. I liked that Amal developed pride for her hijab rather than taking it off as soon as she left school. Many contemporary books I've read about Muslim teens, they usually want to push away from their culture. I liked it.
Teen, 13 years old Written byJen_Chen June 1, 2011

Does my Head Look Big in this? Review

Parent Written bymdmuslima November 10, 2010

A unique POV

As a Muslim mom, who grew up in the west, much of the story is spot-on with what I've experienced. It's interesting to see how the main character walks a fine line in order to stay true to her beliefs. At the same time, the book is funny and not preachy. The author has given voice to a female character (a strong girl who is a practicing Muslim) the likes of whom we have seen very little of in English literature. Bravo!
Teen, 13 years old Written byfato0oma98 November 4, 2011

does my head look big in this

i think that its a great and valuable book as it gives people an insight look of islam and it refutes and falasifies alot of the misjudgings and misconceptions about islam and muslims .It also shows us how descrimnative and racist people can get when it comes to religion and appearance ,as amal gets treated alot diffrently when she wears the higab ( head veil) full time. its amusing , entertaining and fun to read i recomend it :)
Teen, 13 years old Written byrandomgurl December 8, 2010
This book is one of the best books about muslim teenagers that I have read. Amal is a good role model. She is not outright preachy, but she makes the right choices and stick up for her religion. Teens can relate to her. There are a few sexual references and a kiss attempt, but nothing explicit. The language and drinking is mild too.
Parent of a 9 and 15 year old Written byMomaofkzkj September 20, 2010
Well written, explaining the difficulties that young Muslim women face in a very secular society. Also explains some of the misconceptions of the Islamic religion.
Teen, 16 years old Written byToyaEvans February 6, 2012

Does My Head Look Big In This?

Reading this book changed alot about my personality and my perspective on how other people in different country do things. The way the Muslims treat their young is way different then how Americans treat their young. I loved reading the book because it showed me how amazing their culture is, but that marriage will have to wait until your older and ready for it, but education will always be there you just have to put your heart into it and belive that you can do it. But, for the most part kids from the ages 12 & up should be aloud to read a wonderful, amazing book such as this one. You image how your kids will feel about another cuture besides their own.
Kid, 12 years old May 18, 2010

Great book! read it ALL DAY. (even during class) =-P

Well, it was a great book for a number of reasons. It had good messages, like staying strong, no matter what others think, and it also has good role models. Amal is strong, funny, and the kind of stuff that happenes in this book is almost exactly what goes on in my school! =-D
Kid, 12 years old March 29, 2010
I read this book over spring break and it was OK except for the swears. Anyway I'd call this book a great page turner. It has 360 pages and 45 chapters.
Teen, 14 years old Written bymtalvernia August 3, 2011

Perfect 4 teens

I think it is a heart-felt novel inspired by the author's own life experiences. It is very relevant to us as a multi-cultural community as it focuses on raciol and religious discrimination. As a thirteen year old having read this book, Ican easily reccomend this to all adolescents as it is easy-to-read and attention grabbing
Teen, 15 years old Written byStaceytheNerd September 28, 2014

I read this in year 6

This was the first "senior fiction" (for year 6 and 7 students) book I read at my primary school and it is utterly brilliant. This is often what school is like for teenagers in Australia (though I'm not sure about the rest of the world). I think it is a good book because of the acceptance-inspiring messages. Amal is tired of the racial and religious prejudice she faces because of the way the media has spread the Muslim = terrorist miscomceptions. She explains super well that religion is only one part of a person, but it is important none the less. She ultimately makes good life decisions about her schooling and family life and shows she has a clear path and direction - a great role model. I think all students should have to read this book because Randa Abdel-Fattah is a writing genius with a great written vioce.
Teen, 14 years old Written byBlueeyes67 August 10, 2011

No, your head looks fine

I just finished this book and it was a real page turner! I think everyone should read it. In the book, Amal, an austral Ian born Muslim-Pakistani girl decides to wear the hijab (head scarf) full time. She deals with concerned parents and teachers, boys and mean girls at school. It kind of sounds cliche but it is a really good read that I highly recommend! It's funny but serious and you'll love it!