All member reviews for Drama

Sharp, funny graphic novel captures chaos of theater.

Kid, 11 years old December 28, 2012

Nice Story, Bad Message

I am a huge Raina Telgemier fan after reading her first graphic novel "Smile"! When I heard she is publishing another novel I was very jubilant and I went to the library that very day and placed a hold on the book! After two weeks I got the book and I was ready to get my nose stuck in the book! After 20 pages you find out one of the characters is gay! GAY! Is that necessary for a book recommended for 7-13 year olds! The story of the girl Callie and her middle school journey through a middle school play Moon Over Mississippi is overal fonaminal! I loved it so much! But what made me not enjoy the book is as a 10 year old child reading a book filled with gay characters and sexual activities! The gayness wouldn't end and I became very disappointed in this author! One of my favorites instantly became an author I had high expectations for!!!! Drama is a nice story but a bad sexual message!
Kid, 11 years old July 23, 2013

AWESOMENESS!

This book is absolutely EXELLENT!! I loved it! I have noticed many people saying its not great, but, this book has good value!! It's a sort of coming of age book with great role models and good humor. Those who say the book is "too gay" or have a problem with those who ARE gay should really keep their mouthes shut. There are gay relationships, but that shouldn't matter much. I think anyone 11+ could read this book. I'm eleven and I loved it! But if eleven doesn't work then you should try 12. Many of the characters are also great. This book is a must read, with great graphics and positive messages! There is no sex but a few kisses between characters (but that's fine) SO I ENCOURAGE YOU TO READ IT!! :)
Parent Written bycatapault November 8, 2013

There is a little more to the story . . .

It's important to know that this book addresses the homosexuality of twin 8th grade boys, both of which come out to the central character in the book. Cassie is respectful and kind to the boys and accepts them for who they are. However, the book also has a third character, named West, who it is revealed isn't sure if he is gay or bi. The confusion over sexuality may be a theme too mature for your elementary age child. The book makes no mention of these themes in the summary on the back, in the descripton on the Scholastic website or on Amazon. (Thank you Common Sense Media for mentioning this here.) The book is written on a 2.6 grade level and is a graphic novel, so odds are if it's in your child's elementary school library, your younger child could end up reading this and may not understand these parts of the story. The sexuality of the boys is a sub-theme of the book and I feel that parents should be aware of this so they can make an informed decision about whether their child is ready for this issue or not.
Educator and Parent of a 11 year old Written bynewdayjenn October 21, 2014

Be Cautious!!!

My 11 year old daughter read this at 10 years old in school. She liked it, however, the the themes in the book are extremely inappropriate for any child under the age of 13. Kissing in the closets at school, homosexuality, and sexual gender. I do not recommend this book despite reviews on other sites.
Teen, 13 years old Written byseaotter77 January 4, 2013

Not appropriate

There is a lot of homosexuality mentioned in the book, and I don't think CSM did a good job of mentioning/talking about it. The book is good quality, but it is for an older audience.
Parent Written byChristopher A. Sloan October 23, 2014

Overt homosexual content

In spite of CSM's review, there IS a photo of two boys kissing in an embrace, although one of the boys has dressed as the female lead in order to kiss the male lead. My biggest problem with the book is that there is no mention of the overt homosexual content in the book on the book description. It's message is hidden from parents, even the photo inside appears to be a girl kissing a boy. Of course the children who read the book will know it is two boys kissing. This appears to be subterfuge in order to indoctrinate young readers to the "normality" of homosexuality.
Teen, 14 years old Written byBUCKBUCK December 24, 2012

Great

Another great book by Rania. It is an easy read. This book is definatly more girl oreinted and elementarty readers may dislike the crush stuff especially between 2 boys.
Kid, 11 years old January 5, 2014

Misunderstood, Wonderful Story

I purchased this at a bookstore last year. I was sick and read it all in one day! Everyone is getting too riled up about the homosexual characters. I think that, rather than this having the negative sexual message that everyone says, this gives kids and teens with other sexuality acceptance. The characters kiss, but never go too far. Everyone remains fully clothed! It does show two boys kissing once, but they are on stage preforming. Every kid has to learn that people with other sexualities exist. You can't just shelter them forever. It is a great coming of age story with positive messages about sexuality and a fun and interesting theater theme! The fun graphic novel format will delight avid and reluctant readers alike!
Parent Written byajwmom May 22, 2013

Disappointed...

My 12 yr old daughter is a big fan of Smile and a bit of a reluctant reader so when she saw Drama she instantly gravitated to it based on her experience with Smile. I looked at the book and thought the graphics were great. She stopped reading it a few chapters in. She's in Drama and was interested from the aspect of someone who wants to be the star but falls short in acting/singing talent but finds her place behind the scenes. That appealed to her but once she hit the same sex crush, she was confused. It sparked a conversation about steroetypes regarding males interested in Drama and singing in musicals. My daughter elected not to continue the book because she felt a bit mislead from the synopsis and beginning of the story. Just not her cup of tea. Parents should be prepared to discuss boys having crushes on other boys, perpetuating sterotypes of males involved in Theatre , girl crushes on boys who like boys, and unkind behavior amongst friends. I give it 1 star simply because the graphics are so good. Provided you're ready to broach mature subject matter with you middle-schooler, they'll enjoy the graphics.
Teen, 13 years old Written bypuppylove123 October 13, 2013

Learning Process

I think kids eleven and up should read it because, you can't hide everything from kids for a long time and it may be uncomfortable for the parents to talk about it willingly so if a kid had a question about it I think it wouldn't make the topic hard to approach and our world today there's internet and kids eight learn stuff like swearing or drugs or sex. The world is different then when us fourteen olds didn't understand as well. As kids get older I think its a good idea to learn just steps of people liking the same sex as long as it wasn't nude involved.
Kid, 11 years old October 15, 2014

Absolutely Perfect

I wanted to just say that all of you saying things like, "I love Raina's books but the gay stuff made this one terrible" and "This book is SO INNAPROPRIATE because it has GAY PEOPLE IN IT" really need to be more open-minded. Drama not only explores the inner workings of a real production but also gives you an inside look on middle school drama. Being gay is just as okay as being straight, but with all this pressure gay children can't be themselves and often have trouble with that, especially in middle school. I think Raina did a wonderful job portraying that. Callie is spunky and a bit headstrong at times, but puts so much passion into theater that she eventually succeeds. She never gives up on the cannon no matter how difficult it gets, and knows that even though she can't sing doesn't mean she can't follow her dreams. Liz is also an awesome best friend and helps Callie with her problems, but also isn't unrealistically over-the-top caring. Jesse and Justin learn how to embrace their homosexuality, and even though West dates Bonnie, he finally figures out what his heart is really telling him. The only sex in this book goes as far as innocent middle school crushes and concerns--"Does he like me back?" "What if he likes so-and-so instead?" "Will I ever tell him?" All in all, this book is awesome, the graphics are amazing, and it carries a great message about accepting others and sticking to your ideas.
Teen, 14 years old Written byBetty L. August 31, 2013

AN AWESOME STORY! READ IT!

DRAMA is an awesome graphic novel! I loved it from start to finish! My younger sister also read it, and we both loved it so much! A wonderful, real story that depicts many aspects of being a middle-schooler. A must read for kids twelve and up. I guess it would be fine for younger readers, but kids might not get the same messages and events that take place as older tweens and young teens. GREAT BOOK! A MUST READ!
Teen, 14 years old Written byPookie1562 March 21, 2013

good drama book

I think the book is good to read!
Parent Written byErinS10 May 19, 2015

Disappointing

The sexual content is completely inappropriate for children of the age that will want to read this book.
Kid, 11 years old March 17, 2013

GREAT BOOK/COMIC

I really love this book/comic. I think it is not inappropriate except for a few kisses.
Teen, 14 years old Written byKyrabfftwer May 23, 2015

Gay

I thought when I picked up this graphic novel it was going to be nice and easy for the kids who don't like to read so they find something more interesting (I myself actually do like reading), but then I'm reading and it turns about to be about the insecurities of a gay boy. I personally would never let a child not mature enough to take it seriously and graphic novels are not really age appropriate for the people who can take it seriously. Posing this book as a graphic novel was not a wise choice.
Teen, 13 years old Written bysavanahs May 15, 2015

Drama

Drama was a very interesting book and had lots of drama. I could not put it down ;I love the book. The main theme was I guess drama. That's what the whole book was about. It talk about a girl name Callie who is trying to put together a play and at the same time trying to control her love life issues. I recommend this book to other people mostly girls but other people too.
Adult Written by100ftabove May 7, 2015

Great read, important subjects

I read this because I work in a school library where the kids basically fight for the only copies we have of this graphic novel (one English and one French translation). I thought it was a cute read, and I can see why the kids like it so much. I think the subject matter is totally fine for any kid over the age of 9, despite some people's misconceptions of the book. Kids ought to know about different sexual or romantic preferences, and to be honest, most kids have no issues with it in the story. It isn't "all about" people's sexualities like most people are making it out to seem. It's set in middle school, a time where the majority of kids are obsessed with romance and crushes and whatnot. I thought that the way the twins are presented are awesome, especially with how open and supportive Callie and the other students are. I think we need more books that talk about these things if we're going to get kids to understand that it's okay not to be heteronormative. I wish there was more stuff like this when I was younger and questioning my own sexuality.
Teen, 17 years old Written byES9803 May 6, 2015

Very good graphic novel, a little mature

This book is very very good! There is some kissing, but the main plot is about theater. There is one person who is attracted to the same gender, a person who is attracted to both, and two men kiss.