Kid reviews for Eleanor & Park

Intense '80s romance is a fabulous pick for mature teens.

Teen, 14 years old Written byBetty L. November 19, 2013

Stunning. Exceptional. Amazing. The Best Book Ever. It's official.

This was an exceptional book!!! I loved it soooooo much!!! I think it is probably the best book I have ever read! Stunning! The characters are very, very real, and the story is intense but strikingly accurate and certainly true. If you read this book, you WILL love it. Garaunteed. BEST BOOK EVER. If you see a review with less than five plus stars, they are WRONG!

Teen, 14 years old Written bycommonsense_jojo October 13, 2015

SPECTACULAR BOOK

This is possibly the best book I have read in awhile. It is very heart-tearing and tear-jerking. The book exchanges the perspectives of Park and Eleanor, the two main protagonists. The story reflects realistic issues of poverty, bullying, insecurity, and most of all, young romance. Additionally, all characters in the novel are very interesting. Eleanor is "big" and judged by her looks and family while Park is half-Korean and a huge fan of comics and music, despising sports. When the two kids meet, the beginning is kind of off. But as you get farther into the book, the farther you go, the more heart-breaking it can get. ESPECIALLY THE LAST FEW CHAPTERS. Eleanor goes through being distrusted by Park with these hateful messages on her books, her clothes being disposed somewhere she would rather not have, and being jealous of Park's ex-girlfriend. The novel creates a plot of ups and downs in the teenage romance as well as what can happen in kids' families. Eleanor goes through abuse at home and Park goes through difficulties with his father about his personality and who he is. This story can definitely change your life.

Teen, 13 years old Written byPerigrian December 26, 2014

One of my favourite books!

Rainbow Rowell is an amazing author, though her books have been severely criticised and in some cases removed from school libraries. I don't agree with this decision and I am glad that my school provides all of Rainbow Rowell's books in our school library. Eleanor and Park is one of my favourite books and I have read it many times. There are some things parents should know before giving your child a copy. Throughout this book swearing is a serious issue - although I believe it made the book more realistic, parents should make sure that their child will not repeat the words read in the book. Apart from language, there is only one mild romantic scene because there isn't actually any sex in the book. One of the main characters also has an abusive 'father' which could be confronting to some readers - although nothing is graphically described. If you are feeling dubious about giving a copy of this book to your child, read it yourself. I think that this will be a clear indication of wether or not your child is ready to read this book. My mum let me read this after looking at the common sense media review and I believe that it gave a thorough examination of the book. This book is an extremely good read and it is also a really good coming of age book.

Kid, 10 years old January 21, 2019

Very unique book for both tweens, teens, and adults.

I liked this book. While others say it's really unacceptable for kids to read this, I just kind of felt bored while reading this. This might be more for people who like romance? As for age-appropriate stuff, the kid should be at least a little familiar with inappropriate stuff, such as swear words and sex. I didn't love this book (as I'm more of a thriller/horror or comedy person), but there's definitely some other kids that like this book. The story was written very well, too. Overall, it's a decent book with a heart warming story (that's a bit rushed), and tweens should be able to read it too. Just don't give it to a kid under 10...

Kid, 10 years old August 31, 2018

Eleanor&Park: one of the very best YA books of the year for mature readers

Even though I’m only ten, I read a lot of young adult books because I have a high reading level. My dad thought Eleanor and Park would be a good book for me because it had a redhead, like me, but he didn’t actually know much about the story. Well, I decided to read it, and when I started, I did not know what I was in for, on levels of how emotional the book can make you and how great the book is. The violence in this book was fairly graphic and upsetting, and there was a lot of cursing. That’s why I don’t think it’s for kids under 14, because of sensitive topics, language, and violence. But it is a great book that I would recommend for mature teens.

Teen, 14 years old Written byridak November 25, 2015

Good Book! Language makes it not that appropriate

I can't but it down!! SO GOOD!!! The bad thing is that the language is very bad! It's absolutely unnecessary, on about every page there is a "bad word"

Kid, 11 years old April 25, 2015

Although..

I believe this book by Rainbow Rowell was amazing. But, I would rate it for ages 14 and up. There is lots of cursing and sexual content involved. But overall, this book is amazing.

Teen, 13 years old Written bymayam April 7, 2015

Great book (for older teens especially)

This was a really good book. It had a lot of cussing and some not-so-subtle sexual references, but this book was really great all in all. Written on the love story of a very... different girl and the boy she loves, it had a lot of great messages. At times it could be depressing, and the Eleanor (the girl) had a not-so-great life, where there was some violence and sexuality. But this book was really sweet and kept me hooked the entire time. I definitely recommend it to anyone who won't be bothered by sexuality and cussing, and who's looking for a sweet romance!

Teen, 16 years old Written bythat'swhatshethinks December 30, 2014

A Superb Realistic Tale

This book is absolutely fantastic. I'm sixteen, and my aunt got me it for my birthday. I absolutely devoured this page-turner, had it finished in less than a day after I got it. The two main characters are likable and realistic, sharing both smaller-level and large-scale problems that many teens face. You totally root for them, and there is a good supporting cast as well. The dialogue is always on-point. There are tons of 80s references, which could be fun to discuss with parents, but it doesn't bog down the story. Possible red flags are the cussing-it may seem severe, but honestly it's the same kind of dialogue as that of any high-school classroom. There are some sexually-charged moments, but it really doesn't get too bad-seeing as they never actually do it. The themes may be somewhat adult for young teens, but if you can process them, it's a great read. TOTALLY RECOMMEND!

Teen, 14 years old Written byAdiraSun March 15, 2014

Beautiful Read

This book is highly under-reviewed. While there is mature content, the main focus of the story is the relationship between two misfits. I would absolutely recommend for most younger teens because it portrays a healthy, realistic relationship between teens that is not sex-driven. It's incredibly touching and one of my all time favorite books. Both of the couple are intelligent, interesting characters who find an unlikely friend in the other.

Teen, 14 years old Written bykait19 December 10, 2013

more info

appropriate for ages 14-17.the book s a little slow in the beginning but becomes better in the middle. you have to give it a chance. in the last few chapters you might not want to be in school to read them. it will get to you.

Teen, 16 years old Written byMelissa C. April 23, 2019

Great Book But Mature Content

What To Know About Eleanor and Park I loved Eleanor and Park. This book discussed the romance between a quirky new girl named Eleanor and the well off Korean boy named Park. Eleanor just moved back in with her family after her stepfather kicked her out, and as she goes to school and rides the bus, she falls in love with Park. Eleanor is incredibly poor, and her stepfather is cruel to her and her four siblings. Park protects Eleanor and at the end of the novel, he helps Eleanor leave her family and go live with her uncle. This book discusses real issues, such as poverty, racism, bullying, and bad family relations. It really opens your eyes to the way some people live. This is a really heartwarming novel because, with Park’s help, Eleanor is able to be happy and escape her family and live happily. The author does a very good job of making the main characters seem real. She doesn’t stop the characters from making bad decisions or thinking rude things. The characters have flaws, which I believe makes them even more relatable for readers. I would only recommend this book to high school students. Although it talks about real problems, it uses many curse words and discusses a lot of sexual content. Even though it is beneficial to read this book because of the plot and the issues you are exposed to, I believe the mature content is too much for younger kids. But, overall, I would recommend this book to all high school students and older. It is written incredibly well and discusses issues that students need to be aware of in order to avoid ignorance.

Teen, 13 years old Written byDorkyasshufflepuff March 4, 2019

I just finished it and W O W

I love this book. It’s wonderful. The ending sucks, but hey life doesn’t always end how you want it. Provides awareness to certain home situations and bullying. There’s a little mini sex scene but I’m like 90% percent sure it’s nothing 10 year olds don’t know about already, let’s face it. (I don’t know about any other 10 year olds though, I’m only speaking from experience and all the other ten year olds I know/knew.) Anyhoo, this book is wonderful and promotes individuality and isn’t very rigid on gender roles.

Teen, 15 years old Written byizzyshap February 28, 2019

Teen, 16 years old Written byaugey February 4, 2019
Two high schoolers, Eleanor, bullied for her size and unconventional choice of dress, and Park, comic-book reader and punk-rock lover, opposites in many ways, fall in love in this 80s romance. At first, they don’t even talk or look at each other on the bus, but they then discover their shared love for music and comic books. Through these 30 minute rides to and from school, they begin to connect on a deeper, more intimate level until, finally, Park invites Eleanor over to his house, and their love blossoms, despite the leering and bullying from others. Even with their individual issues at home and school, they still find solace in each other, and spend as much time as possible with each other. Although there are repeated instances of cussing, brief drinking and smoking scenes, and other mature issues, I would still highly recommend this book about two star-crossed lovers to anyone 15 and up.
Teen, 15 years old Written byb00kw0rM2003 January 31, 2019

amazing book!

I read this book for school and its honestly extremely good and worth buying, it does mention topics such as abuse, race and body image but kids my age need to know these things and shouldn't be pushed away from it. Its not as if they're talking bad about these topics it actually shows you can leave abusive people and be self confident no matter what colour or size you are!! Its an amazing book I was glued to it as soon as i got it.

Teen, 14 years old Written bymorgantheunilover December 31, 2018

THE BEST BOOK EVER!!!!!!!!!

this is the best book ever even though it has some foul language and the stepdad abusing the mom.

Teen, 13 years old Written byvavavoom687 December 8, 2018
Teen, 14 years old Written byunfortunxteoblivion October 29, 2018

Amazing; Beautifully written!

I read this book when I was 12 and loved it. Then again, I didn't understand most of it then but as I'm rereading it now, this love story is the most epic I've ever read and will forever and always have a special place in my heart. Great read for teens and adults alike.

Kid, 11 years old September 5, 2018

oh my god... im crying right now.

this was the best book ever. I listened to this book on Libby, and after it was done, I felt like I needed to just sit there and cry for hours and hours and hours. after I finished this book I went to Barns And Noble's and got a copy for myself. this book has kissing, but if I want to add that to my review, I have to put that it has "Too Much Sex" and it does not. if you are afraid of your kids reading about kissing, this book is not for you. it has SOME swearing but not a lot. it has SOME smoking but not a lot. Eleanor is a GREAT role model and so is Park. read this book now.