All member reviews for Eleanor & Park

Teen, 14 years old Written byBetty L. November 19, 2013

Stunning. Exceptional. Amazing. The Best Book Ever. It's official.

This was an exceptional book!!! I loved it soooooo much!!! I think it is probably the best book I have ever read! Stunning! The characters are very, very real, and the story is intense but strikingly accurate and certainly true. If you read this book, you WILL love it. Garaunteed. BEST BOOK EVER. If you see a review with less than five plus stars, they are WRONG!
Teen, 14 years old Written bykait19 December 10, 2013

more info

appropriate for ages 14-17.the book s a little slow in the beginning but becomes better in the middle. you have to give it a chance. in the last few chapters you might not want to be in school to read them. it will get to you.
Teen, 14 years old Written byAdiraSun March 15, 2014

Beautiful Read

This book is highly under-reviewed. While there is mature content, the main focus of the story is the relationship between two misfits. I would absolutely recommend for most younger teens because it portrays a healthy, realistic relationship between teens that is not sex-driven. It's incredibly touching and one of my all time favorite books. Both of the couple are intelligent, interesting characters who find an unlikely friend in the other.
Teen, 13 years old Written byPerigrian December 26, 2014

One of my favourite books!

Rainbow Rowell is an amazing author, though her books have been severely criticised and in some cases removed from school libraries. I don't agree with this decision and I am glad that my school provides all of Rainbow Rowell's books in our school library. Eleanor and Park is one of my favourite books and I have read it many times. There are some things parents should know before giving your child a copy. Throughout this book swearing is a serious issue - although I believe it made the book more realistic, parents should make sure that their child will not repeat the words read in the book. Apart from language, there is only one mild romantic scene because there isn't actually any sex in the book. One of the main characters also has an abusive 'father' which could be confronting to some readers - although nothing is graphically described. If you are feeling dubious about giving a copy of this book to your child, read it yourself. I think that this will be a clear indication of wether or not your child is ready to read this book. My mum let me read this after looking at the common sense media review and I believe that it gave a thorough examination of the book. This book is an extremely good read and it is also a really good coming of age book.
Teen, 16 years old Written bythat'swhatshethinks December 30, 2014

A Superb Realistic Tale

This book is absolutely fantastic. I'm sixteen, and my aunt got me it for my birthday. I absolutely devoured this page-turner, had it finished in less than a day after I got it. The two main characters are likable and realistic, sharing both smaller-level and large-scale problems that many teens face. You totally root for them, and there is a good supporting cast as well. The dialogue is always on-point. There are tons of 80s references, which could be fun to discuss with parents, but it doesn't bog down the story. Possible red flags are the cussing-it may seem severe, but honestly it's the same kind of dialogue as that of any high-school classroom. There are some sexually-charged moments, but it really doesn't get too bad-seeing as they never actually do it. The themes may be somewhat adult for young teens, but if you can process them, it's a great read. TOTALLY RECOMMEND!
Teen, 17 years old Written byilovebooksandstuffff October 30, 2014

Great Book

This book is very well written and has a great story. I would recommend to people 13 plus. There is a lot of swearing and heavy stuff but if your 13 or 14 year old doesn't know what half of this stuff means than your child is very innocent...
Kid, 11 years old November 12, 2014

Appropriate (At times)

I have read many adult books, far more inappropriate than E&P Eleanor & Park is about 2 young kids in love. Teenagers do "things" when they are in love. Teenagers also swear and smoke (it's the 80s) It's an amazing book which I love!!
Teen, 13 years old Written byPotterheadWhovian104 October 19, 2014

Super good, but did make me uneasy at times.

I read and loved this book, everything from the writing to the characters, but Eleanor's stepfather is abusive and creepy and he did make my skin crawl. It is obvious he's "not a nice man" and this might upset some kids more than others. It's really a teen and up thing, definitely not something you'd share with your ten year old. But besides that, the novel is romantic and beautiful and sometimes heartbreaking.
Kid, 12 years old April 24, 2015

Wonderful Book- Parents watch out for iffy content

I absolutly LOVED this book, but my mom was worried about iffy content. My mom read it first, then we read it together and it sparked many deep discutions. Overall, heart-warming story to spark conversation that can be useful outside of the book. Parents should watch ot for drinking, f-bombs, violence and some sex-ish content.
Teen, 13 years old Written bymayam April 7, 2015

Great book (for older teens especially)

This was a really good book. It had a lot of cussing and some not-so-subtle sexual references, but this book was really great all in all. Written on the love story of a very... different girl and the boy she loves, it had a lot of great messages. At times it could be depressing, and the Eleanor (the girl) had a not-so-great life, where there was some violence and sexuality. But this book was really sweet and kept me hooked the entire time. I definitely recommend it to anyone who won't be bothered by sexuality and cussing, and who's looking for a sweet romance!
Teen, 14 years old Written bykyleeb February 10, 2015

It was great.

I loved the storyline and the characters, but there is strong content that younger kids shouldn't even know about. I loved how the characters were so real rather than your typical teen romance novel.
Teen, 14 years old Written byteenreader123 April 28, 2015

Eleanor & Park

Eleanor and Park is a great book. I have to let you guys know that this book is NOT APPROPRIATE for children under 16. This is because of the sexuality and language. Eleanor and Park kiss a lot, and sometimes, it gets even further than kissing. The language is very inappropriate for children and even some teens. There is a lot of use of f--k, d--k, bit-h, and s--t. This language is just high-schoolers being high-schoolers. There is also a mention of drugs and smoking.
Kid, 11 years old April 25, 2015

Although..

I believe this book by Rainbow Rowell was amazing. But, I would rate it for ages 14 and up. There is lots of cursing and sexual content involved. But overall, this book is amazing.
Teen, 14 years old Written bybookfangirl8 December 13, 2014

Mehh...

This story was in my opinion, one of the worst romances. Of course, I like cliché love stories so if you want a book that isn't, by all means read this. Rainbow outdid herself with Fangirl but when I read Eleanor and Park, I could hardly get through it.
Teen, 16 years old Written byPride and Prejudice November 10, 2014

Loved it!

Eleanor and Park is such a great book. It's a love story, but it's one with depth. It hits on a few really tough topics-bullying, weight problems, and bad home situations-and gives kids (or adults, I read it after my friend's mom recommended it) a new perspective on them. I really enjoyed it and would definitely recommend it to friends.
Teen, 14 years old Written bygreenloversara July 17, 2015

Amazing book

Teen, 13 years old Written byhermione1226 March 5, 2015

This is a heavy read, don't get me wrong. Eleanor & Park centers around a desperately mistreated teenager named Eleanor, with just about nothing to live for. That is, until she meets Park. This books deals with mature topics such as sex, bullying, and abusive parents. There are scenes of making out, and the characters debate whether or not to have sex. The language is quite coarse, as well as frequent. In my opinion, the good outweighs the bad, though. The romance is incredibly sweet, and touching, and there are some good role models. The age-appropriateness really depends on the parents' morals/values, as well as the maturity of the child.
Teen, 14 years old Written byLoveBands November 2, 2014

Definitely for Mature Readers

It made me laugh that someone claimed you will love it, but this isn't a Goodreads review, is it? As for content, I would definitely make sure your child is mature enough to handle certain topics such as crude language, the talk of sex, and abuse. One thing that I noticed no one mentioned was that the main female character (Eleanor) begins receiving these sexual messages (they're very crude). She later finds out they were from her step-dad, whom she had been previously afraid of for that reason. She described him as "leering". He never allowed her to have a door on the bathroom and required for her to take only baths in the kitchen. That being said, it is a cute story that, despite the aforementioned facts, is definitely okay if you feel your child is ready.