Highly imaginative twists on the Cinderella tale.

Parent of a 12 year old Written bylittle mommy August 18, 2009

What a fantastic book! A must-read for parents and children over the age of 10

What a wonderful book! Written again by the fame-struck Gail Carson Levine. My kids both loved it and they are 8 and 11. I think it was a little too violent for my 8 year old, but she liked it anyway! She's a toughie and was trembling at the violent parts, so I'd say this book is better for 9 or 10 year olds...
Teen, 16 years old Written byLovesgirl2 February 11, 2010

Love the book!

I love the book! It was full of page turning excitement. Caught me from the beginning. I personally think the book is better than the movie, although A.H. is a very talented actress.
Kid, 11 years old June 14, 2009

Awesome!

This book is very, well, enchanting. Very magical! One of my favorite books of all time and I am eleven.
Teen, 13 years old Written byWarriors_Fanatic July 16, 2010
Kid, 10 years old November 8, 2013

Fresh

Good book rated fresh
Kid, 6 years old May 18, 2012

A fun, clever take on Cinderella, really well written and imaginative

I loved this book! A sweet, clever take on Cinderella. The writing is quick and engaging, and the story line is completely harmless. It's a great book for eleven-year-old kids, and a quick read for smart older girls. Ella is a positive role model. She is cursed into being obedient, but instead of taking it as something she cannot help, she works incredibly hard to get rid of the curse. She perseveres, and doesn't give up when things get hard.
Kid, 11 years old May 9, 2010

Perfect book for anyone over ten

this book is ausome!!!
Teen, 13 years old Written bymoe101 April 29, 2009

****$$ I LOVE THIS BOOK**$$

THIS BOOK IS FOR EVERY ONE WHO LIKES READING ABOUT FAIRIES AND GNOMES AND ALOT OF MORE MAGICAL CREATURES.....I'D SAY THAT THIS IS THE FANTASY BOOK OF THE YEAR AND IF YOUR LOOKING FOR A GOOD INTERESTING BOOK TO READ ELLA ENCHANTED IS IT!!!!!!!!
Teen, 14 years old Written byavidcritc November 23, 2008

my favorite book ever!

this may not be the BEST book i've ever read, but it is my absolute favorite. the atmosphere, the characters, the struggle, the triumph- they are all so real. when someone is an writer because they love to write, not an author because they want to be rich or famous, it shows. and it shouts out at you from every page of this book. i recommend it to everyone.
Teen, 15 years old Written byrebma97 January 3, 2013

Great Spin on Classic Story

Ella Enchanted is a wonderful story that takes a spin on the Cinderella Tale: the reason "Ella" (her real name) is always obedient towards her stepfamily is because of a curse a fairy gave her when she was a baby; she has to be obedient whenever someone gives her a direct order. The story is about Ella trying to fight against her curse. Ella is a good role model becuase, unlike the original Cinderella, she tries to protect her friends (she knows that if someone ordered her to do something terrible, she couldn't stop herself). Violence: Ella's mother dies at the beginning of the book from an illness. Also, Ella is captured by ogres and nearly eaten. Sex: Ella falls in love with a prince, but it's very chaste.
Kid, 12 years old October 27, 2011

awesome

It was one of the first books I ever read.
Parent of a 7 year old Written bysarahsweet January 22, 2011
Ella Enchanted is by far one of my favorite action adventure stories. Ella, the main character is a smart, vivacious, intelligent young girl who uses good sense and a touch of spunk to get through tough real life scenarios such as the loss of a mother, the jealousy and dysfunction of a step family, and the confusion that comes from having a selfish father. All of these real life things that are difficult to walk through are set in a beautiful scenery of imagination, where Ella battles ogres, falls in love with a prince, and dances in glass slippers. Just writing about it makes me want to read it again. It has been ten years now since I first read this book, and I still hold it in high esteem
Teen, 14 years old Written byBbbbbbbi June 20, 2010

Ella Enchanted is a fantastic book!

This a great book! I recommend this book to anyone. My favorite part of this book was the letters between Ella and Char.
Kid, 11 years old February 7, 2013

Ella Enchanted

I think this is a wonderful book.
Kid, 11 years old November 24, 2010

Awesome Book!

Ella is sort of a role model, kinda saying that you can change things if you work hard at it. It's a wonderful book!
Teen, 13 years old Written bychou.weifong October 11, 2009

Perfect for everybody!!!

LOVE IT
Teen, 17 years old Written bybeckycarle November 27, 2012

Recommend it !

This book is a very good book. It’s funny and very easy to follow. It’s also a great children’s book. The characters are well explained and unique. The movie is still different. I would recommend the book because it is detailed and the plot is better, I wish there was more to the story line though.
Teen, 14 years old Written bystylemusings December 29, 2011

Ella is a good role model!

Ella is like a feminist Cinderella! She is clumsy, awkward, smart, resourceful, brave, independent, and strong-willed. She values intelligence and courage over beauty and the prince falls in love with her anyway. She overcomes an enormous obstacle, battles ogres, and escapes from finishing school. Ella is a great role model for girls.
Adult Written bylawyer21gurl April 9, 2008

I WAS ENCHANTED BY THIS BOOK

This book is the best!!!! I'm doing a book report for it, and I stumbled upon this page. A more modern version of Cinderella with lots of new twists and surprises, this book is about a girl named Ella who at birth was given the "gift" of obedience. Her mother dies and Ella is sent to a finishing school. Hattie and Olive, the girls Ella was with on the journey, make her life miserable. Hattie finds out that Ella is obedient and uses it. At finishing school, Ella's only solace is in her best friend, Areida. Hattie doesn't like the friendship and orders Ella to end her friendship. Ella is devastated and leaves school in order to avert the order. She is determined to find the fairy who gave her the gift of obedience so she can take it away. She is attacked by ogres on her way to a giant's farm, where the fairy is. Her father also happens to be there. She is saved by the Prince Char. When she gets to the giant's farm, she meets the fairy but she does not take the gift back. She goes home with her father who tries to force her to remarry in order to regain their fortune. It doesn't work out, so her father marries Dame Olga, the father of Hattie and Olive. As soon as her father goes away, Dame Olga turns ncElla into a servant. Ella is very unhappy, but she and Char have been writing letters to each other. She falls in love with Char, but doesn't know how he feels about her. One day she gets a letter from Char saying that he loves her and wants her to marry him. Ella wants to, but she realizes that if she marries Char someone would figure out that she is obedient and use it to harm Char. She writes a letter to Char pretending to be Hattie that says Ella is a flirt who was decieving him all along. Ella's heart is broken, and she desperately wants to see Char again. Her chance comes when a ball is being held to welcome Char back home. She decides to go, but she is masked and won't let Char see her face. She pretends to be someone named Lela. Char becomes friends with Lela. On the third night of the ball, Hattie snatches off Ella's mask and Char sees that she is Ella. Ella flees and Char follows her. Ella breaks down crying, saying that the letter wasn't true and she loves him. Char is happy, and asks her to marry him. Ella knows she can't, but Hattie wants Char to marry Ella because she can force Ella to give her money. Hattie orders her to marry Char. Ella won't let the words come out of her mouth. She breaks the curse and marries Char. This is an unbelievable book that everyone should read. It has romance, fantasy, and adventure. This book gets two thumbs way up for me!
Kid, 9 years old October 23, 2010